Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2007 12:35:09 PM EDT
This isn't related to firearms at all, but is very appropriate for Minnesota and our winters.

I bought a house last winter, and I want to get the garage floor sealed or coated before this winter hits.  The garage is almost five years old, and I don't think it was ever sealed.  The salt and other crap has attacked it in spots, and the concrete looks worn where the previous owner parked.

Does anyone have experience with the Rustoleum or other brands of sealer or epoxy coatings?  I need to know what lasts, and what doesn't.  I'd really appreciate any advice that anyone can offer.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#1]
When I did my slab last year I sealed it with Achro-seal (sp?, have to check the can). Seems to be holding up so far.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been looking into this myself for a while and am leaning towards the commercial type epoxy type products. One thing to consider is will the tires peel up the finish. You get what you pay for and don't  skimp on the prep work as that is more important (your finished product is only as good as your prep). Have got more work to do on my garage before I do the floor. Let us know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I just put down the rustoleum gray epoxy finish down in my shop.  The concrete was new so I didn't have grease spots to worry about, but the prep work is still very important.  They give you a concentrated etching powder that you mix with water that you have to put down and scrub and rinse.  The idea is to get any loose dirt and fine powder off of the concrete.  Each epoxy kit does about 250 sq feet I belive.  It took me 4 kits to do my pole barn, but I think it was worth it.  There is also an anti-skid additive you can buy separate.  Its not expensive, but I would recommend something so if the floor gets wet you don't slide into the wall.  Silica sand might also be another alternative.  So far it seems very durable, and oil and contaminates just wipe right up rather than soak in which is what I was looking for.  I think I paid around $44 for each kit on sale at Menards.  And from my experience with buying supplies from both home depot and menards, Menards has always been cheaper.  Some cases not by much, and others by quite a bit.  Hope this helps.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Make damn sure the floor is clean.
I cannot stress how clean it has to be.
Did I mention it should be clean?
make sure it's at leat 70F and make sure it is clean.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Check with some concrete contractors to find out what they use to seal floors and driveways with . It should be done every couple of years and is cheaper, easier and keeps the floor safe from salt . Epoxy finishes are very slippery .Adding sand helps but it is hard to sweep clean .Then when you shovel out the slop that falls off your car it scrapes off the sand and lets the water get into the concrete and lifts the edges of the finish.Epoxy can fail if the concrete isn't acid etched and rinsed very good. I have done 10's of 1000's of sq. feet of floors and when the boss tries to cheat on prepwork it starts to fail and comes off in small and big sheets.
Lampoon
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#6]
AFTER DOING IT myself- I would just have Homo depot do it- or some other company.  It has to be mega clean...mine peeled the first year and I scrubbed/etched the shit out of it too.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 5:18:44 AM EDT
[#7]
heres the deal from my brothers misfortune. he tried all different kinds of floor epoxys and they all peeled from the salt and tire tracks. heres what he did. paint it with whatever you like then get one or two of those car/truck mats with the nice high ridges in the sides and let all the shit drip on you mat not the paint, paint is for foot traffic only according to a flooring coating specilist i spoke to (hillyard).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top