Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2007 3:15:35 PM EDT

story-

i live in inver grove heights

i have customers surrounding inver grove heights

all my friends live here, so does my mother who needs me to do house / yard work

my brother who i work for alot lives in Coon Rapids ( 45 minute drive w/ traffic )

this brother thinks i should buy a house up there, bigger houses for 10+% less money

this will save me from driving that far 4 days a week, but

then im 45 minutes from my friends if i want to just stop by for a beer, 45 minutes from helping my mother, and up to an hour away just to do an estimate for customers in eagan...

if i gave up my business, i could sell equipment, save money on the advertising ETC, and still make damn good money working for him... but, if anything happens, im relying 100% on him to provide work for me then... he got lippy with me one day and i choked him out in front of the family- one more incident like that and we might not work together...

just from what i have pointed out...  would you stay in inver grove heights and drive 45 minutes to work, or move to coon rapids?

please give me your opinions ! thanks!

Rob
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Stay in IGH.  
You've got the more or less guarantied customers there, you've got your friends there, you've got your mom there, and the only thing that would make you go to Coon Rapids is your brother, who wouldn't necessarily be a guarantied source of work and the same house for 10% less $...however...

...you must consider potential property value appreciation.  From the best that I can tell, Coon Rapids and the surrounding area is pretty well fully developed, so any property value appreciation that would take place due to more people moving in to develop more property has taken place.  IGH and the surrounding, from the best I can tell, isn't all the way developed and there is still plenty of room to the south in, say, Rosemount for more people to fill in.

Just my $.02  
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
story-

i live in inver grove heights

i have customers surrounding inver grove heights

all my friends live here, so does my mother who needs me to do house / yard work

my brother who i work for alot lives in Coon Rapids ( 45 minute drive w/ traffic )

this brother thinks i should buy a house up there, bigger houses for 10+% less money

this will save me from driving that far 4 days a week, but

then im 45 minutes from my friends if i want to just stop by for a beer, 45 minutes from helping my mother, and up to an hour away just to do an estimate for customers in eagan...

if i gave up my business, i could sell equipment, save money on the advertising ETC, and still make damn good money working for him... but, if anything happens, im relying 100% on him to provide work for me then... he got lippy with me one day and i choked him out in front of the family- one more incident like that and we might not work together...

just from what i have pointed out...  would you stay in inver grove heights and drive 45 minutes to work, or move to coon rapids?

please give me your opinions ! thanks!

Rob

That actually happened? Choked him out like until he went to sleep or until he gave up?

Stay in Inver Grove. I heard somewhere that almost all friend relationships are based upon where they live, something to the effect of people only have friends that live within a certain number of miles of them and from what I've experienced, it's true. I never see my "friend" (that was in my wedding) that lives 20 miles away, but when we lived 2 miles away from each other we saw each other all the time.

From what you've posted, you know you should stay put.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure you've heard the old saying (and from my time as a realtor I can tell you it's absolutely true).  

The three most important things in picking a place to live are location, location and location.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#4]
from my experience it is best to make plans around your life.  it seems to me that your life is in IGH.  

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for all the replies....  pretty much just reinforces what i already kinda feel... gut instinct.

D_N at a family deal he jokingly put my in a full nelson, i flipped over the couch, pinned him in a RNC... most people can go out in 4 seconds from that, i waited til his face was purple. kind of the big brother VS little brother type of deal
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:24:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd check out to see if Ultimate Fighting is banned in either city you are looking to move to.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:54:34 AM EDT
[#7]
although i must say...

coon rapids has WAY more hot chicks than inver grove does my friends didnt understand why i called it "poon rapids"
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:17:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
thanks for all the replies....  pretty much just reinforces what i already kinda feel... gut instinct.

D_N at a family deal he jokingly put my in a full nelson, i flipped over the couch, pinned him in a RNC... most people can go out in 4 seconds from that, i waited til his face was purple. kind of the big brother VS little brother type of deal

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:18:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Let's see:  You live in IGH & your name is "Rob."

I know!  You must be the famed Robert Hexxe!

Wow!  We have a celebrity in our midst!

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Seriously now, does anyone know Hesse personally?  I knew a guy by the same name, but not sure if its the same guy.  PM me if you know him.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously now, does anyone know Hesse personally?  I knew a guy by the same name, but not sure if its the same guy.  PM me if you know him.

i heard his shop is here... a friend of mine who is a machinist wanted to check it out, asking for a job etc and the guy refused to let him in!  ive never met the guy unless he is at the gun shows in person
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry we are full up here, stay in IGH.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#13]
You guys are speaking about Vulcan Arms, right?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:27:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

is that the name this week ?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:05:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

is that the name this week ?

Yeah, it's been the name for awhile.  D.N. and I have actually been to the shop.  It didn't look like anybody was there at the time, but it was pretty cool to see where the "weapons of the Special Forces" are manufactured.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:59:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Built--I moved from POON RAPIDS about 2 years ago- Bartended at Scoops (old Mr Daves) for 8 years- DAM GLAD I did move, auto insurance dropped $295 per year, Bike Insurance dropped $100 Even after buying a new bike, and my X lives there-- Its a win -win  for me!!
Farmington is WAY better than COON rapids.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:01:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Built--I moved from POON RAPIDS about 2 years ago- Bartended at Scoops (old Mr Daves) for 8 years- DAM GLAD I did move, auto insurance dropped $295 per year, Bike Insurance dropped $100 Even after buying a new bike, and my X lives there-- Its a win -win  for me!!
Farmington is WAY better than COON rapids.

i wonder why the insurance was higher there?

my friends say their house in hastings is costing them an arm and a leg in taxes...

all the houses ive looked at in IGH are 1400-1900 / year in taxes.

realty1001.minnesota.remax.com/listings/ListingDetail_r4.aspx?LID=28719951#

thats a house i might put an offer on... start at 220 maybe... its SO nice inside, some hardwood floors, some carpet ( new )   the pic second from the bottom is the basement... ill make it my bedroom just cause i like all the space! the very top level id rent out and leave the middle / main floor unnocupied to give me some space, and quite from whoever is renting...

if they dont bite on my offer... ill keep looking. my truck is a foot too long to fit in the garage anyways and the back yard would be kinda difficult to get my equipment into but possible... and behind the backyard butts up to a church so i wont have any "neighboors" behind me so to say which is ok with me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#18]
My insurance guy said the # of DUI's at the time where higher in Anal-Ok-A Co.
I dont have one but it still hurts everyone in the county.
I'd check out houses in Rosemount,Hampton,Farmington,Coats even- you could a real nice one with a large yard for close to that price.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i heard his shop is here... a friend of mine who is a machinist wanted to check it out, asking for a job etc and the guy refused to let him in!  ive never met the guy unless he is at the gun shows in person

I can't really say that I know the guy.  I've talked to him at gun shows, but I don't think that I've seen him at one for several years.

If you aren't sure that it's the same guy & want to know what he looked like, he was about 45 - 50 years old, average build, light brown hair(?), no glasses, no facial hair, maybe 5'10", and about 160 lbs. the last time that I saw him.  You sure wouldn't pick him out of a crowd.  He must have learned that be-the-gray-man stuff real well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Move the HELL OUT of the metro all together. Come up North (and by up north I don't mean Brainard) get as far away from all those liberal asses that keep the metro area part of the state blue!!!!!Live in peace in the red part of the state!!!!! Just my $.02
I live in Clearwater Co I just built a new house I didn't need a permit to build it, and my 300 yard range starts in my back yard. Lets see how far you would make it trying this were you live.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Move the HELL OUT of the metro all together. Come up North (and by up north I don't mean Brainard) get as far away from all those liberal asses that keep the metro area part of the state blue!!!!!Live in peace in the red part of the state!!!!! Just my $.02
I live in Clearwater Co I just built a new house I didn't need a permit to build it, and my 300 yard range starts in my back yard. Lets see how far you would make it trying this were you live.

yeah... i wish. doesnt seem to be the same pay up there... even if i moved my business, i know guys in Akeley that run tree services making 1/2 what i do...

if i win a couple hundred thousand in the lottery ill be singing a different tune
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top