Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2006 10:25:18 PM EDT
Huge bomb-making operation busted  
Updated: 03/30/2006 09:20:06 AM
VIDEO |  Print Story |  Email to a Friend

Authorities in Albert Lea say they have uncovered a major bomb making operation, after two explosions in the area during a five-day period.

Police executed a search warrant at a home in Frost, MN Tuesday night, where they found so many explosives they had to call the Bloomington bomb squad.

Neighbors were evacuated, but one says she just thought the suspects were playing with fireworks.

”They were getting increasingly loud and smoky, but nothing that would be tremble the earth,” says neighbor Corrine Johnson.

Police arrested four members of the Yahnke family for the operation – Marvin Yahnke, 49, Shirly Yahnke, 38, Daniel Yahnke, 19, and a 15-year-old juvenile.

Authorities seized more than 20 pounds of highly explosive material, as well as more than 100 explosive devices.

“In my 20 years in law enforcement, I have never seen an operation this large,” said Chief Dwaine Winkels of the Albert Lea Police Department.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like Yahnke set off too much tannerite
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:38:43 AM EDT
[#2]
"You no more Yahnke my Wankie!"
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#3]
FoxNews link to article...

114 Explosive Devices Found in Minnesota Home
Friday, March 31, 2006

BLUE EARTH, Minn. — Four family members have been charged after authorities found 114 explosive devices and more than 20 pounds of explosives at their home in Frost, near the Iowa border.

Marvin D. Yahnke, 48, his wife, Shirley, 49 and their son Daniel, 19, were charged Thursday in Faribault County District Court with manufacturing and possessing explosive devices.

The couple's 15-year-old son was charged Wednesday in Freeborn County Juvenile Court with third-degree arson and possession of explosives in connection with explosions there.

"At this point, we don't have any indication that they were targeting any people," said deputy Mike Gormley, with the Faribault County Sheriff's Office. "We're not sure if this was for fun or if they had other things in mind."

The family has been linked by investigators to the bombing of a portable toilet in Albert Lea and a half-dozen mailbox explosions in rural Freeborn County over the past few months. Gormley said no one has been injured.

The explosives discovered at the house Tuesday night were detonated by the Bloomington bomb squad.

Ok, so who was holding back from our shoots?

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#4]
          <------------Yahnke and I
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#5]

The explosives discovered at the house Tuesday night were detonated by the Bloomington bomb squad.

Gotta slow down when I read things: I misread detonated as donated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top