Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 7:47:29 AM EDT
http://www.startribune.com/467/story/319934.html

Not sure if I should hotlink the Strib from arfcom or not, so it's cold.  But, it simply reiterates to me the need to carry at all times.  These victims have been compliant and still gotten shot.  These bad guys need to meet someone who fights back; that'd put an end to their little spree.  Of course, by victimizing Uptowners, they're certainly preying on the sheep.  Not real likely that any of the yogurt sprout-eating Kerry voters will be cocked and locked and demonstrate situational awareness.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:18:25 AM EDT
[#1]
It's made me think more seriously about getting a carry permit, in the past I put it off because money was tight, but I was talking with the wife and she actually sounded supportive of me spending money on gun related stuff!  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Not real likely that any of the yogurt sprout-eating Kerry voters will be cocked and locked and demonstrate situational awareness.

Well put.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I work at the U and I overheard some people talking about this story today. One woman said, "that was just a few blocks from my house. I don't usually think about crime because it usually happens between acquaintances or drug dealers - so I feel pretty safe most of the time."
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I work at the U and I overheard some people talking about this story today. One woman said, "that was just a few blocks from my house. I don't usually think about crime because it usually happens between acquaintances or drug dealers - so I feel pretty safe most of the time."

Typical Minnesotan liberal tree-huggin' crap.  Minnesota was one of the safest places in the world, up until the crack epidemic.  Ever since then scum from Chicago have been steadily migrating and propogating.  And now there are parts of Minneapolis that are like cancer:  slowly spreading into the rest of the state.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#5]
So when are we going to organize an Armed Night Out in Uptown?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So when are we going to organize an Armed Night Out in Uptown?

That might be a better crime deterrant than those candle light vigils.

Seriously though, that's why I avoid areas like the Uptown whenever I can.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Typical Minnesotan liberal tree-huggin' crap.  Minnesota was one of the safest places in the world, up until the crack epidemic.  Ever since then scum from Chicago have been steadily migrating and propogating.  And now there are parts of Minneapolis that are like cancer:  slowly spreading into the rest of the state.

A lot of the crime in the Duluth area comes from Mnpls, and Chicago...  Fuckers move up and start killing people, selling drugs, etc.  Apparently they can make a lot more $ selling drugs up here than in the bigger cities.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:33:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I need to get my permit to carry papers sent in

Here is my takel, The chief of police and the mayor are both worthless, the city council is out looking for new cars with the $400.00 a month transpertation perk they gave themelves. Basically they dont give a shit, and the wellstone express is still bringing in the dregs.

Move while you still have the chance
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:57:06 AM EDT
[#9]
my take-
1. One more reason to have the death penalty
2. One more reason to seal the borders- no more immigration
3. one more reason we should  be able to (leagally)shoot your attacker/robber as they run away with your loot.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:32:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It's made me think more seriously about getting a carry permit, in the past I put it off because money was tight, but I was talking with the wife and she actually sounded supportive of me spending money on gun related stuff!  

Quoted:
I need to get my permit to carry papers sent in

Both of you, why have you not done this yet?  You are a member of an "avid shooter" online community, obviously interested in firearms.  The shall issue legislation is almost 3 years old.  As far as I'm concerned, EVERYONE that's active on these boards that lives in a shall issue state should have their permit.  Am I advocating that you all need to carry?  No.  But we need to get the number of people with permits up to a significant level.  It WILL deter crime.

Currently some 30,000 Minnesotans have their permit.  Out of roughly 6 million people.  That's 1/2%  Can you imagine if that number jumped to 2.5%, or maybe even 5%?  At 5%, one out of every 20 potential victims has the legal ability to be armed.  You don't think this will stem the tide of crime?  Think again.  Criminals like low risk targets.  Their desire to get into a two way firefight is about as low as our desire to get into a 2 way firefight.  

The Minneapolis city council doesn't give a shit.  Nothing new.  The police is unable to put the resources on the street.  Again, nothing new.  

Grassroots movements have always been the most powerful way to get things done.  Don't expect the government to protect you.  As has once been said, those who rely on the government for anything will eventually be disappointed.  Get your permit.  Talk to others.  Get others to get their permit.  Making sure you don't become a victim starts with refusing to be a victim.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant against you guys.  It's not.  But unlike joining/not joining the NRA, there is no downside to getting a permit.  You're not making or supporting any kind of political statement.  You're making a statement of your own saying you're fed up, have had enough, and refuse to be a victim.  It starts with the shooting community because they're the easiest to convert.  Then it's your neighbors and family.  Lets get it done.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:56:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Of course, by victimizing Uptowners, they're certainly preying on the sheep.  Not real likely that any of the yogurt sprout-eating Kerry voters will be cocked and locked and demonstrate situational awareness.  

You mean like me?

I can see where the shooting happened from my office window.

Crime happens anywhere, anytime fellas.  It happens more often to grass-eaters due to lack of situational awareness.  

FYI, I didn't vote for Kerry, I like living in the city near the lakes, and I usually carry several options of defensive force with me at all times.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I am in agreement with Fast351.  It's been 3 years!  Why wouldn't you have a permit?  I mean, are you waiting to be victimized?  Do you really think "It'll never happen to me?"  You or someone in your immediate family is more likely to be the victim of a violent crime than the victim of a housefire - but you've got smoke detectors and homeowners' insurance, right?  

GET A PERMIT, SHEEP!!!

Alright, rant off.  

PS.  It's always better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.  You just don't know when some psycho is going to decide that what is yours should be his.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Of course, by victimizing Uptowners, they're certainly preying on the sheep.  Not real likely that any of the yogurt sprout-eating Kerry voters will be cocked and locked and demonstrate situational awareness.  

You mean like me?

I can see where the shooting happened from my office window.

Crime happens anywhere, anytime fellas.  It happens more often to grass-eaters due to lack of situational awareness.  

FYI, I didn't vote for Kerry, I like living in the city near the lakes, and I usually carry several options of defensive force with me at all times.

mcnielsen-

I am (of course) generalizing about uptowners.  I lived in South Minneapolis for 3 years, just off Lake Harriet.  But you have to admit that Uptown Minneapolis is the San Francisco of the upper Midwest.  Your average Bush-hating, vegetarian, coffee-house patron of South Minneapolis is no more prepared to defend him-or-herself than monkeys are prepared to launch a mission to Mars.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I am in agreement with Fast351.  It's been 3 years!  Why wouldn't you have a permit?  I mean, are you waiting to be victimized?  Do you really think "It'll never happen to me?"  You or someone in your immediate family is more likely to be the victim of a violent crime than the victim of a housefire - but you've got smoke detectors and homeowners' insurance, right?  

GET A PERMIT, SHEEP!!!

Alright, rant off.  

PS.  It's always better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.  You just don't know when some psycho is going to decide that what is yours should be his.  

How about all of you tough guys calling me a "sheep" go piss up a rope, mmmkay?  I'll get a permit when I damn well want to.  FWIW, the only time I am in Uptown I am consuming alcohol, couldn't legally carry anyway, and my super tactical Arfcom labeled MARPAT fanny pack holster and "Defender of the 2nd Amendment" ammo bearing tactical vest would look a little out of place at Figlios or Williams or Chino Latino.  I guess I'll have to rely on my own sense of situational awareness.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I guess I'll have to rely on my own sense of situational awareness.

That's 95% of the battle right there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, my point exactly.  A person carrying who is rendered too confident by that fact is an easier victim than someone who knows what is going on around him.  I am going to get my permit sooner rather than later, but I also understand there are times when I WILL be unarmed with anything except my hands, feet, and wits (and I may really be in trouble then)
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
... But you have to admit that Uptown Minneapolis is the San Francisco of the upper Midwest.  Your average Bush-hating, vegetarian, coffee-house patron of South Minneapolis is no more prepared to defend him-or-herself than monkeys are prepared to launch a mission to Mars.  

Perhaps, but that doesn't mean I'll never visit San Fransisco.  It's a pretty fun place to be, too.  In fact, if it weren't for the fact that California has an AWB, I've always considered moving to Sonoma County.  

And, isn't it nice that not all gun owners also fit the redneck deer hunter stereotype?  Some of us are man-pretty and use valet parking!

As far as the "green party" not being able to defend themselves, it's not really my concern, is it?  I'm not worried about being a victim.  I'm ready wherever and whenever I go places for the unexpected.

I know you are not trying to slam me, Beleg, I'm just trying to point out that anytime anyone generalizes about a neighborhood or a city (especially if it's mine) I'm going to let them know that ALL cities and neighborhoods have the potential for crime.  (except maybe InUhBaDnAyBurHoOd)
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:33:15 AM EDT
[#18]

And, isn't it nice that not all gun owners also fit the redneck deer hunter stereotype?  Some of us are man-pretty and use valet parking!

Oh, I've seen your picture; we know you're man-pretty!!!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Minnesota was one of the safest places in the world, up until the Wellstone epidemic.  Ever since then scum from Chicago have been steadily migrating and propogating.  And now there are parts of Minneapolis that are like cancer:  slowly spreading into the rest of the state.

Fixed it for you.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#20]
The guys who did the shooting were not from Chicago. They are Somali's. Probably the same 2 who shot my neighbor in the head in uptown a few months back.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Minnesota was one of the safest places in the world, up until the Wellstone epidemic.  Ever since then scum from Chicago have been steadily migrating and propogating.  And now there are parts of Minneapolis that are like cancer:  slowly spreading into the rest of the state.

Fixed it for you.  

Wellstone's little legacy has added about 80,000 dregs to the city of minnehopless alone
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:25:06 AM EDT
[#22]
sad thin is i am stuck at work with SEVERAL people who think wellstone was a god...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:26:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And besides, as I've learned in life, a can of MacePepper spray and a Pocket Knife can take care of about 99% of potential altercations a person is likely to encounter.  I carry a Colt 45 to take care of that unlikely 1% just in case.

Also, a can of Mace Pepper spray and a pocket knife are perfectly legal to carry, above or below 0.08!  

Fixed......
Good point!

That is why I carry OC/CS spray a knife and always 1 gun and 75% of the time a BUG.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Moved here in July, applied for my DL in early August..didn't arrive until October..within 2 weeks I had my permit to purchase, and I had my carry permit before the end of January...

You natives who don't even have one are slackers

I still need to go through all the proper training and such; sure, I can hit what I'm aiming at and sure, I'm a paranoid freak who likes knowing where all the exits are and who's coming up behind me...but, well, actual training would be a benifit.

It's sad that something like this would happen here Back home, yah, happens..but here..
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Moved here in July, applied for my DL in early August..didn't arrive until October..within 2 weeks I had my permit to purchase, and I had my carry permit before the end of January...

You natives who don't even have one are slackers

I still need to go through all the proper training and such; sure, I can hit what I'm aiming at and sure, I'm a paranoid freak who likes knowing where all the exits are and who's coming up behind me...but, well, actual training would be a benifit.

It's sad that something like this would happen here Back home, yah, happens..but here..

Defensive Handgun 101, Tactical Tuesdays and Thursdays and Fundamental Fridays at Bills!

I have thought about setting up some one on one training with an instructor at Bill's, maybe you and I  should do it together.

ETA: I got a better idea, I will let you know Ed!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
How about all of you tough guys calling me a "sheep" go piss up a rope, mmmkay?  I'll get a permit when I damn well want to.  

Go back and reread my post.  I didn't call you sheep.  I didn't advocate that you carry, let alone carry drunk.  I said, "go get your permit".  If you don't want to, fine!  But it's just like voting.  If you don't vote, don't bitch about the outcome of the election.  Well, same thing here.  In 3 years when a yogurt sprout eating democrat congress overturns the shall issue carry legislation because "only 30,000" people have a permit anyway, don't come crying to me.  

Some issues you need to think about more than yourself on.  This is one of them.  One person by themselves makes little difference, many people collectively make a huge difference.  That collective, BTW, is the reason carry legislation even exists.  If it was just Joel Rosenberg and Joe Olsen calling their representatives, we wouldn't have it.  It's the 10,000 other people that sent letters, e-mails, and blew away the switchboard that made it happen.  And that fight continues today.  Those that don't exercise their rights tend to get them stripped away.  Don't think it can happen?  Think again! David Lillehaug and his cronies are constantly scheming of a way to get rid of this "aweful legislation" that lets "soft white guys carry scary guns".

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I know you are not trying to slam me, Beleg, I'm just trying to point out that anytime anyone generalizes about a neighborhood or a city (especially if it's mine) I'm going to let them know that ALL cities and neighborhoods have the potential for crime.  (except maybe InUhBaDnAyBurHoOd)

Ahh, but it's more likely to happen in Minneapolis than say Edina.  The statistics don't lie.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#29]
At least I live on the Edina side of Minneapolis!

Too bad I have 2 houses within a block that are dealing drugs
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:24:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Go back and reread my post.  

I did, now go back and read my first post.  I said I was planning on getting my CCW, so you really could have saved the preaching, unless you just wanted to make yourself feel good.  For what it's worth I agree with your points, but if you're really concerned with convincing more Minnesota shooters to get their CCW, start your own thread.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:38:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
At least I live on the Edina side of Minneapolis!

Too bad I have 2 houses within a block that are dealing drugs

What, you don't like the competition?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top