Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 10:25:05 PM EDT
I really want to start shooting prone with my AR but I'm worried about scratching the bottom my mags.  Do you guys have any tips for avoiding this?  I like to keep my mags nice in case there's another AWB.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:06:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Use 20 rounders
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:30:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:40:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a set of $10 mags, and beat the piss out of em. Leave your "good ones" at home.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:51:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I really want to start shooting prone with my AR but I'm worried about scratching the bottom my mags.  Do you guys have any tips for avoiding this?  I like to keep my mags nice in case there's another AWB.

They are $10 a piece.  Buy 10 extra.

FWIW, if you are worried there will be another AWB, then you already have too few mags.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:55:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Shoot your rifle "gangsta style", you know...sideways.  All you'll have to worry about is the brass raining down on your head.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:51:03 AM EDT
[#6]
When I'm shooting from the prone, unless I'm on an uneven surface (i.e., M16 qualification range at Fort Hood he
Besides, unless you're shooting the $50 HK mags, those things are gonna look ugly after a few sessions of shooting anyway...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:05:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Don’t worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind; the kind that blindside you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday. -- Baz Lurhman
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#8]
yeah you should be high enough off the ground with 20s that you won't touch the ground with the mags.  i shoot service rifle matches and i use a 20" upper, i put my grip hand on the front of the upper right next to the front site, so the slingis firm into the backside of my hand and i am still off the ground.  try and put your elbow under the gun and not put the gun over the side of your arm.

Craig
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Try Magpul.com
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don’t worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind; the kind that blindside you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday. -- Baz Lurhman

Excellent quote; I remember that song.  As for an AWB, I've been checking the state legislature website almost daily, and will continue to do so until the deadline to get bills out of committee has passed for this year.  So far there is no movement or scheduled talks on any sort of MN AWB.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I've owned Ar-15's since the late 80's when my Dad bought me an SP-1.  Not to mention a couple of years working for Uncle Sam.  Only on AR-15.com would someone worry about scratches on a frigging magazine.  Jesus Christ.  You should see the way those rifles are treated in the REAL world.  They work... even after throwing them
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:05:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I have some ranger plates I am getting rid of cheap let me know.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:55:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have some ranger plates I am getting rid of cheap let me know.

Do you have to be a Ranger to get them?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know, but it helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top