Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 11:09:11 AM EDT
Just the type of freaking moron we need loose!  Let alone fodder for people against Concealed Carry!
From the St. Pioneer Press

Posted on Tue, Feb. 28, 2006
Man charged in firearms incidentBRIEFING: COTTAGE GROVE
A St. Paul Park man who hid a pistol in his wheelchair is accused of getting drunk and pointing a handgun at the head of a patron outside a Cottage Grove bar.
Layne Warren Nelson, 47, faces several charges, including second-degree assault and carrying a pistol in a public place while intoxicated.
Nelson did not return a phone message Monday seeking comment.
According to court papers Washington County prosecutor Richard Allen drafted from police reports, on Feb. 18 Nelson and 43-year-old Kenneth Larson were in Larson's car outside the American Motorsports Bar and Grill on East Point Douglas Road getting ready to smoke marijuana about 2:20 a.m.
Suddenly, Nelson reached into the back seat and pulled a handgun out of a holster and held it to Larson's temple, Allen wrote. Larson told police he was able to push Nelson's arm away, get out and run to his own vehicle. He drove home and called police.
Officer Mike Vandervort later found Nelson swerving in his car on East Point Douglas Road and saw Nelson run at least one red light and almost cause an accident, according to court records.
Vandervort pulled the car over, and Nelson told the officer, "I'm drunk. Just take me home," according to court records.
Vandervort found a loaded .45-caliber semiautomatic handgun in the back seat of Nelson's car.
He also found a small bag containing 8 grams of marijuana, some cash and a holster for the handgun.
Cottage Grove police said Nelson had a permit to carry the weapons.
Another firearm, a loaded .22-caliber Magnum revolver, also was found later concealed in a pouch on the side of Nelson's wheelchair, Allen stated.
Nelson is out on $5,000 bail and will be in court March 9.
— Alex Friedrich
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#1]
though, if he had a permit, I'm sure the story would mention it.  The headline would say:"Crazy Permit Holder has Itchy Trigger Finger"

He IS in a wheelchair, however, and was busted with 8 ounces of weed.  The Liberals have got to be on his side for THAT, at least.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Story did say he had a permit to carry the weapons...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Story did say he had a permit to carry the weapons...

Oops, missed that the first time.  Although, simply by possessing drugs or being over .04 BAC, his permit is invalid, according to the law.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Just Fucking Great!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#5]
that's super just what we needed.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#6]
There are two sides to every story, I'm bettin the one guy was going to jack  the other guys wheel chair and bit off more than he could chew
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Considering that this story came out on 2/28 and it's 3/3 today, I don't think that the local news is going to beat on this story.  I haven't heard a thing about it until just now.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#9]
There have been multiple incidents involving permit holders that have not been reported in the news.

Just a FYI
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
There have been multiple incidents involving permit holders that have not been reported in the news.

Just a FYI

I'm interested in hearing about them.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Just a FYI

Good or bad incidents?  I mean, were they waving their gun around like or moron or was it an justified act of defense?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#12]
The ones I am aware of are bad.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Do tell.  Please don't make a claim you are not willing to back up.  All we need is someone from the ANTI side reading this thread and stating that "Even the permit holders on ARFCOM think only bad incidents come from carrying guns!"  Facts, please.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:43:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do tell.  Please don't make a claim you are not willing to back up.  All we need is someone from the ANTI side reading this thread and stating that "Even the permit holders on ARFCOM think only bad incidents come from carrying guns!"  Facts, please.

I don't know anything about MNTRPR's statements.  However I do know MNTRPR personally (we went to college together) and he is a current MN State Trooper as his title suggests, which may/may not be the reason he's being vague about discussing actual events?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:15:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First,  you will be hard pressed to find another cop that is as pro-concealed carry by law abiding citizens.  As any of my colleagues and friends can attest, the law abiding ones with guns are not the ones I worry about.  

Second, I am not current on the status of the criminal proceedings/investigations with these cases, so unfortunately I can't comment a whole lot.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:40:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
First,  you will be hard pressed to find another cop that is as pro-concealed carry by law abiding citizens.  As any of my colleagues and friends can attest, the law abiding ones with guns are not the ones I worry about.  

Second, I am not current on the status of the criminal proceedings/investigations with these cases, so unfortunately I can't comment a whole lot.  

'nuff said.  Did not know you are a LEO.  That explains why you are aware of cases that the general public does not.  Thanks for your input.  I'm sure you can see why unsubstantiated general claims of these things posted on the internet are potentially harmful to law-abiding CCW holders.

If you are in my hood, let me know, I'll buy you a cup of coffee sometime!  I'm in 5th Precinct, Mpls.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:51:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I appreciate your understanding.

Permit holders and cops are in the same boat in that we are and always will be our own worst enemies.  

Needless to say, I will NOT be the one letting the media know about this stuff.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top