Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 8:20:09 PM EDT
ok i know its been asked a million times. i saw an add in sar for silencers and they had a super long list on banned states. i did not see mn in the list. did they miss us? so whats the deal. just wonderin
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#1]
The word on silencers is this, It aint going to happen
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:21:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:59:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:59:41 AM EDT
[#4]
DPMS  thanks for trying!  it may come around eventually (remember concealed carry).

does anyone have a list of friendly, unfriendly, or in-between legislators on this issue.

thanks,
dave
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:11:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Would legal silencer's require a $200 stamp?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#6]
That stamp is a federal requirement, so yes, if they were ever legal in MN, you would have to pay the $200 stamp.

I would love to have legal silencers here in MN.  They would do so much to cut down on noise complaints at ranges.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Thats how you  make your case then.  Legalize silencers, Minnesotan's will go insane filling out form 4's to aquire there newly beloved toys, then the Government will have tons more money to piss away by taxing people on a basic right.   Just convince the Government how it will benifit them and your good to go.  Isn't that how it works?  Although there maybe nothing in it for the state itself so we are probably still screwed.

This is purely based on the fact that I am being a smart ass.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#8]
You guys are always welcome to drive to WI to shoot suppressors
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:11:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

and you are always welcome to carry concealed here
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I would love to have legal silencers here in MN.  They would do so much to cut down on noise complaints at ranges.

Yeah, plus you could kill people without anybody hearing you...

J/K
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:17:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
DPMS  thanks for trying!  it may come around eventually (remember concealed carry).

does anyone have a list of friendly, unfriendly, or in-between legislators on this issue.

thanks,
dave

+1
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Rep. Tony Cornish (R) 24-B, is very RKBA friendly, he co-authored the CCW bill and was the chief author of last year's bill to allow the use of suppressors by the DNR and police SWAT teams.  Most importantly, he's a member of the Public Safety Policy and Finance Committee.  Any suppressor bill will almost certainly start in this committee:

www.house.leg.state.mn.us/comm/committeemembers.asp?comm=18

If anyone knows these folks or is a member of their district, a polite, articulate email or telephone call may get the ball rolling.  Obvious disclaimer: don't say you need one for the upcoming UN invasion...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK you got me.

Someday.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well at least until we get another Governor. Then we may be sunk on that one too. The way the law was changed last summer the Governor now has the power to stop carry at will with a letter to the BCA. If Pawlenty looses the next election may be in trouble.

I have talked to the people who would make it happen and you can rest assured we will not get silencers legalized here in Minnesota. We are going to loose even more seats in the next election and our window of opportunity has passed. The NRA screwed us big time and we have worn out our welcome. It is a long story and is not something we should discuss in a public forum. You could talk to Mr. Cornish and I am sure he could explain the politics behind it. They will probably not even entertain the idea of fixing the carry law this year and this year may be our last chance. If we work hard and hold on to Pawlenty we may be able to keep the carry bill for a few more years.  Mike Hatch sent someone to the last CCRN meeting to assure us that he was not going to shut us down but who knows what kind of pressure the Dems may put on him if he gets elected. He might not have much choice in the matter. In the mean time some of us are looking into getting the Utah permit, just in case.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thats how you  make your case then.  Legalize silencers, Minnesotan's will go insane filling out form 4's to aquire there newly beloved toys, then the Government will have tons more money to piss away by taxing people on a basic right.   Just convince the Government how it will benifit them and your good to go.  Isn't that how it works?  Although there maybe nothing in it for the state itself so we are probably still screwed.

This is purely based on the fact that I am being a smart ass.  

Nothing in it for the Feds either.  The $200 tax was originally instituted in 1934. It was a lot of money back then.  Today's inflation adjusted equivalent would be $3000.00.

$200 doesn't cover the cost of the background check and record keeping.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I so totally missed something. Some of you guys are talking as if there is/was a working bill to legalize supressors. I'm aware of the one tht would allow DNR people to use them, but this seems to go beyond that. Anyone care to explain?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:31:43 AM EDT
[#17]
All I meant was that there is no actual bill to allow them for us unwashed peasants, but there are people who would know whether there is a snowball's chance in hell of a bill passing.  It doesn't sound like it, especially in this upcoming short session.  Call me Captain Obvious, but the '06 elections are KEY to us being allowed to continue this hobby/sport as we know it.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:44:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
All I meant was that there is no actual bill to allow them for us unwashed peasants, but there are people who would know whether there is a snowball's chance in hell of a bill passing.  It doesn't sound like it, especially in this upcoming short session.  Call me Captain Obvious, but the '06 elections are KEY to us being allowed to continue this hobby/sport as we know it.  

The elections are key. But we still have a lot of folks pissed at gun owners any way so it may be a while before we get our credibility back. The NRA really screwed us here in MN.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

<snip>

The NRA really screwed us here in MN.

Would you care to  ellaborate?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:09:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

I was curious about that statement too.  The CCRN folks seem to like to work in secrecy.  I understand they might not want to show their hand until they are ready, but it seems like they won't even discuss what goes on at the public meetings, outside of those meetings, under the impression that the antis will find out.  How do they know the antis don't have people showing up at the meetings?

As for needing to fix the training language...How did it get messed up in the first place?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#21]
We would not be disscussing this if we would just put a 200$ tax stamp on bibles.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I've only been a member here for a short while, but this topic has come up about 90 times since I joined.

Can we get a sticky thread at the top regarding suppressors and SBR's?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

+1
If not in public, my IM works just fine
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top