Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2006 2:51:07 PM EDT
Hi guys,

Just wondering if your local PD always waited the maximum 7 days before getting you your permit. I applied for mine at the Bemidji PD last sunday, wondering if there is any chance that I could get it earlier so I could do some toy shopping this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife turned ours in on a Monday.  She was told I would need to come in and pick mine up because I didn't turn in the application in person.  I was contacted that Friday and went in and picked mine up.  She got her's in the mail the next Monday.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#2]
The Roseville PD told me 2 to 3 weeks! I asked why and she said it was because they need time to hear back from everyone and someone might be on vacation blah blah blah....   My permit was ready in a week. BigAKFan
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#3]
1 week is normal!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, by law one week is the limit, they got to give you a yes or no in that time period. Thanks for all the responses.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:41:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I got my last one in 2 hours
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I got my last one in 2 hours

Well not every one is you. You bastard guy.

Hey Im Dan I know everyone and thier momas and thier momas moma and the Dali Lama.

Me I know Dan. Then everyone is like ok now we can be nice to you. If you don't know Dan we would kick you in the nuts and call you stinky nuts and not let you on AR15.com at all.

So at the end of the day it will be about a week.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:04:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I finally got it- on day 10 (Only after I went into the PD myself and handed them a copy of the law) 3 days over the time that 624. 7131 Subd. 5 specifies. How well are "gun control" laws going to "work" with crooks, if even the cops don't follow them?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well, I finally got it- on day 10 (Only after I went into the PD myself and handed them a copy of the law) 3 days over the time that 624. 7131 Subd. 5 specifies. How well are "gun control" laws going to "work" with crooks, if even the cops don't follow them?

That is because you don't know Dan.

Glad you got it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I got a question. On the permit it says "Not valid without other quantifying Minnesota ID." I cannot find anything in the law that specifies that the permit is not valid without a MN ID. I hold a WI drivers licence and I put that down on the application form and they approved me. I can get a MN ID card- but I'd rather not spend the $15.50 if I don't have to. That can be spent on better things like ammo.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Where are you a legal resident? MN or WI
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I suppose I would be a legal resident of WI, taxes etc, but I am a college student in MN and have lived here for the past 2 years. I also intend to live here for at least 2 more years and very possibly indefinately. A MN ID card should be acceptable proof of residency, and after reading though what is required I should be able to get one without a hitch.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't have the statutory cite handy, but I believe you must be a legal resident of MN in order to actually purchase a handgun here in MN.  I'm very surprised that they gave you a purchase permit based on a Wisconsin ID.

Be prepared to have whatever dealer you go to tell you that they can't sell you a handgun.  You will probably have to get a MN DL and then re-apply for your permit, because all the information on the permit must match the driver's license.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I got it primarily for the "assault weapons" purchasing. I think that they were going more off of my place of residence over the last two years which is listed on the forms. The lady that I delt with was more concerned with that. Right now I am not looking to purchase a handgun, just a lower receiver in MN. Therefore the interstae GCA restrictions on handgun transactions don't really apply to me right now.

My permit has my current MN address on it, and if I got a MN ID I would have the same address on that one. The MN DNR accepts the ID's as acceptable proof or residency as far as purchasing licences and such is concerned, and it seems as if an ID is concurrent with the drivers licence with proving residency. I'm not going to switch drivers licences since that would cause problems with insurance and my CDL.

I havn't found any MN statute that prohibits a non-resident from purchasing a handgun in another state, but the GCA regulates such transactions. You must prove that you "make a home" in a particular state, so a MN ID should satisfy that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#14]

624.7131 Transferee permit; penalty.

Subdivision 1. Information. Any person may apply for a transferee permit by providing the following information in writing to the chief of police of an organized full time police department of the municipality in which the person resides or to the county sheriff if there is no such local chief of police:

(a) the name, residence, telephone number and driver's license number or nonqualification certificate number, if any, of the proposed transferee;

Neither underlined portion specifies anything about having to be a MN resident or hold a MN drivers licence. Does anyone know what agency/ who I should talk to in the legal system to get this straightened up? If you check the whole law or any of the laws related, it also mentions nothing about having to possess a MD ID. My head is about to friggin' explode from trying to get this stuff straight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top