Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2006 10:47:53 AM EDT
(Bungalow Of The Day)

Here's the house before:  2 BR 2BA about 1250 sq.ft.

Then, a bunch of guys come in and tear the damn roof clean off!

Floor joists are put in place and it is covered up to protect us from the Minnesota winter weather.

Exterior walls are framed up.

The interior is framed before the roof trusses are added.

And, here's where we are at right now.  

Roof is done, Shingles on.  We are expecting windows on Thursday and they will side it shortly thereafter.  Meanwhile, the demo begins on our kitchen in the main floor for a total remodeling job.

Wish us luck!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#1]
SHIETE FER!!!!!!!!!
Looks great- now if'n you would have asked I would have done some of the work to save you some coin--- or are you doing it yourself?????
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Does one have a house warming party if they do a complete remodel?  Or only if they move?

If you have one, I'll bring a gift!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#3]
If I were doing it myself you would see a picture posted of no roof, a hole in the ceiling, a frozen dog and a pissed-off wife and I would post pics of me living in the Holiday Inn Express waiting to be served with divorce papers.

And, since you offered, come on over and bring your hammer!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Ammo, please!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ammo, please!

Now you've ruined the suprise.  I'm out

Maybe my wife could plant a flower or plant in an ammo box, and then I could put some rounds in/around it!  Something for everyone.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#6]
That addition is bigger than the house was Must be the new gun room?

Winter remodeling is fun, I"m doing my bathroom right now, one day all the stuff will come in and I can finish it
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#7]
What a let down to expect to see one thing then see something that does not have anything to do with what you wanted to see.

Your Spesnas trick is noted and I will not be fooled again.

<FES>I say good day. <FES>

Looks good by the way.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks good!  The extra space should be nice.

Whens the party?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:36:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Holy shit!  Your house grew a tumor!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Is that a Caribou retail location opening on the top floor?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#11]
So, how many square feet did you add and did it include a bathroom? Is the house in Saint Anthony? BigAKfan
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Congrats on the new addition it looks great!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:30:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks like you doubled the size of the house

Looks good!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:10:09 AM EDT
[#14]
It's not a tumor!

It is a new gun room!

Pool Room
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:35:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Holy crap,  looks different since I was there last!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:57:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Coming to a neighborhood near you!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Nah it is the drive up window for Monster Trucks!

Quoted:

Quoted:

Coming to a neighborhood near you!

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#18]
sadly now, there can only be one outcome---------------
TAXES
TAXES AND HIGHER TAXES!!!!!!!!!
But on the up side there will now be a place for you to hide when the wife is mad
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Bump.

More pics coming.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Had similar fun about two years ago with a 550 sq ft kitchen/living room addition- If I was not a tard at posting pics (like who will host them without spam/charging).  I would

Things I learned...
1. That simple addition...is not.
2. Two people doing it part time (after a long day work)  ...SUCKS
3. They are called professional builders for a reason
4. get your best estimate, double it and add 20%
5. Menards sells the fucking shittiest shit that ever shitted. Fuck that Fuckhole.
6.Your taxes will be double what you expected.
7.  If you pay ANY contractor before the are COMPLETLEY finished, you will never see them again.
8. it will strain your relationship.  oh yes.
9. gun money...bwahahahaa
10. shooting time?...bwahahahaaa

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Nice project.

Looks like you don't have to mow much grass on the sides.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:48:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Typical Mpls. lot.  Small yard.  The lot is probably 45 x 130.  Driveway on the side doesn't make much room, but the alley has been vacated in the back, so we have more room than we otherwise would have (basically to hold all the dog crap)

Waiting for my girlfriend to e-mail me those pics.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:54:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Some days she is my girlfriend, some days she is my wife.  When you're older, you'll understand...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#26]
He traded her in for 2 twenty year old sorority gals!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
He traded her in for 2 twenty year old sorority gals!

They were 21 according to their IDs!

Isn't it funny that you don't get that kind of action until you are out of college for about a decade?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm telling your wife
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Where are the pics?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#30]
OK, finally got my photo server up an running again.

Here are a few from the framing/mechanical stage.

You'll notice the windows are in (although the trim is incorrect and will be changed) and the siding is stacked up in the front yard.

Here are 2 in the master bedroom showing the framing and duct work.  Notice the chimney which will soon be an upstairs fireplace.

Here's one of me on the main floor stairs installing a temprary vapor barrier.  The white plastic is covering up the old kitchen appliances in what used to be the kitchen.  That room will be our guest bedroom.

More is done on the project, I just have to get the pics.  I will keep you all informed as it continues to go!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#31]
So the chimney is going to vent into your new addition?  That'll be kind of cool for, like, laser light shows and stuff.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Drywall being sanded this week and Kitchen cabinet installation will be next week.  

Can't wait to move out of the basement!

Some plumbing rough-in will wall insulation for sound:

Here are 2 pics of the master bedroom suite being sheetrocked and installation of pocket doors:

Finally, a great pic of the siding completed on the North side of the house.  When looking from the front, this would be on the left side of the house:

More pics when I get cabinets installed!  I'll try to get a good one of the front of the house, too!  
It looks really great!

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:14:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Thats great! I would not want to live through those conditions, although the ends certinly justify the means.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Lookin good nielson!

It'll be well worth it when it's done.

For a guy that has done a ton of remodelling, let me tell you that doing it and enjoying it instead of doing it right before you move out so the next people can enjoy it is a much better route!

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#35]
now would be a good time to hide those gun and unregistered class III (I did not say the s word) in the walls.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:08:13 AM EDT
[#36]
What do you think that brick structure that looks like a chimney is in the bedroom?

(ATF disclaimer:  There are no actual weapons hidden in these photos.)
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:53:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Just for mounting the reloading press?  Where is the MAN'S Room?  You know gun room, ammo and gear storage, and tinkering room?  Where is the MAN's Lounge?  You know bar, big screen TV, comfy leather chairs, and snacks?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:04:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Just for mounting the reloading press?  Where is the MAN'S Room?  You know gun room, ammo and gear storage, and tinkering room?  Where is the MAN's Lounge?  You know bar, big screen TV, comfy leather chairs, and snacks?

We are living in it right now.  It's called the basement.

It has all of the above and will be getting it's own fridge shortly!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Fritz calls that the S.A.C. base!      

Spousal Avoidance Center    
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Fleet Farm must be on the SAC listing of alternative locatiions in case of direct attack?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Fleet Farm must be on the SAC listing of alternative locatiions in case of direct attack?

As well as all local gun stores any hardware stores!  

In case of emergency (AKA wife bitching at you) please proceed directly to your nearest SAC base!  

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm envious as hell! Nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top