Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 11:56:50 AM EDT
I'm new on here and am trying to get a sense of how these boards work.  I'm interested in purchasing a Colt 6450 9mm carbine and am wondering if anyone knows about the laws regarding them.  Most of the Colt 6450s I've seen are marked Military/Law Enforcement but with the expiration of the Brady Law from what I've read is that they are not restricted anymore except by certain localities.  Is this correct and does Minnesota have any restrictions on the Colt 6450?  Also, any chance if anyone knows the law for Maine (I go to school there)?  Thanks for your help everyone.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#1]
No restrictions on Colt purchase.  Just set it up with your local FFL.  Gunstop in Minnetonka would likely help with that, Mark at Oak Grove Arms would, too.

As far as laws in Maine go, I'd check out NRA's website for state by state regulations.

Welcome to the boards!

All your pr0n are belongs to Arabou!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#2]
You would need a MN purchase, or conceal carry permit to buy the 6450.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean.  I was looking at ordering it from a dealer in Colorado and having it transfered to a Minnesota FFL.  Would that be possible, or does it have to be from a Minnesota dealer only?  Thanks for you help.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#4]
You can get it transfered in. You 1) need to find an FFL to accept this for you. Fees are around $30 for the transfer. Since it is an "assault weapon" in MN law, you also need to have a permit to purchase an aw, which is either the permit to purchase a pistol (from local PD) or a CCW license.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean.  I was looking at ordering it from a dealer in Colorado and having it transfered to a Minnesota FFL.  Would that be possible, or does it have to be from a Minnesota dealer only?  Thanks for you help.

MN has an assault weapon law (or something like that) that requires you to use a permit to buy them.  Either a pistol purchase permit, or a CCW will help you with that.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong guys.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Can you get the permit for just "assault weapons" if you are 18, 19, or 20? Thanks
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Can you get the permit for just "assault weapons" if you are 18, 19, or 20? Thanks

Yes, you have to be 18 to own an assault weapon. You still need to get the permit to purchase, you just can't get a handgun until you are 21.

You should verify all this at www.dps.state.mn.us since I am only going from memory.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Funny thing, the law reads 18, but on the purchase permit it says 21 for "assault weapons." Hmm... I can't seem to find in the statues where 21 is required by state law.

Who of you is responsible for this ridiculous law anyhow? Damn Viqueens fans...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Funny thing, the law reads 18, but on the purchase permit it says 21 for "assault weapons." Hmm... I can't seem to find in the statues where 21 is required by state law.

Who of you is responsible for this ridiculous law anyhow? Damn Viqueens fans...

Blame the libtards.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Who of you is responsible for this ridiculous law anyhow?

The standard ARFCOM answer is that it is Bush's fault.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#11]
BCA made a typo, morons. Found the form at two other sources. 18 for "assault weapons," 21 for handguns through an FFL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top