Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 9:40:16 AM EDT
I'm surprised no on has posted a review yet.  Sorry I was unable to attend.  I would have loved to re-learn and learn many new things from Sully.  Perfect practice makes perfect, as they say.  Who made it and how was it? Inquiring minds want to know

Arabou
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely wonderful.  I was just coming onto the site to post about it, as I've got a short break from patients right now.  You were right, mcnielsen: Anti-Seize is the key.  

Wanted to thank Sully and everyone else that helped out with my problem-child Stag Arms upper, and its front sight pins of doom.  Nice to meet in person people that I've only seen on ARFcom.  Sully is a true teacher, and I look forward to taking a carbine class from DE this summer, so I can spew Wolf ammo with authority.  

I am 1000% more confident in taking apart my ARs now, and can't wait to build one up from scratch to prove it to myself.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I to was there and it was GREAT!  Was my first DE class and now I know I will be taking more

Sully was a great teacher and showed us alot of tricks and tools to help out with building our own.  It was nice to be able to see the parts from the "Inside Out" and have them explained how they worked and why they worked they way they did.  Thanks again Sully for a great weekend!

Nice to meet everybody there, hope to see ya again at some of the ARFCOM shoots.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I certainly love my A1 rear sight, but the problem I've noticed is that I purchased it from DPMS, and the spring was out-of-spec size.  After clipping off 1.5 coils of the spring it fit & functioned fine...  

Do what you've got to do!  My current selector lever detent is actually the tip of a nail-head that I rounded off a bit.

Glad to hear everyone had a great time!  Who brought the coffee?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Preaching to chior here folks.  Sully and Company do a fantastic job!  I have to say that the Armoring course was a great time last year!  Now, if he would just quit making fun of Two Stage Triggers!  J/K  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:44:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Who brought the coffee?

Someone brought cookies and donuts, but we had to fend for ourselves.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Absolutely wonderful.  I was just coming onto the site to post about it, as I've got a short break from patients right now.  You were right, mcnielsen: Anti-Seize is the key.  

Wanted to thank Sully and everyone else that helped out with my problem-child Stag Arms upper, and its front sight pins of doom.  Nice to meet in person people that I've only seen on ARFcom.  Sully is a true teacher, and I look forward to taking a carbine class from DE this summer, so I can spew Wolf ammo with authority.  

I am 1000% more confident in taking apart my ARs now, and can't wait to build one up from scratch to prove it to myself.  

I'm sure that the class was very helpful, but you won't have any problem building ARs.  I built a Cav lower a couple of years ago, and then finished an upper and a new lower last week.  Then I built another upper on Sat.  The key is to have the right tools.  Get one of the multi-tools from DPMS as well as the "Panther Claw."  (Not sure that is the correct name, but it's the white plastic piece that holds the upper in a bench vise.)  Also, get a snap ring pliers.  I bought one at Home Depot for $20 or so & then found a whole set at Harbor Freight on Central for about $10.  (Yes, I had the receipt from Home Depot so I took them back.)  Be sure that you have a 1/2 " torque wrench, too.

The professionals would probably tell you to get a gunsmiths set of punches & one of those little brass hammers, but you would do just as well, & better in some instances, with Craftsmen punches & a regular carpenters' hammer.  The reason that I said "better" is that the gunsmith punches are very short & it's better to have the longer punches because you won't be trying to avoid hitting the lower with the short punches.  Note that I mentioned "punches" NOT nail sets.

You can probably avoid buying the special detent tool unless you are extremely ham handed or you want to save an extra minute in the building process.

It REALLY helps to have a handguard removal tool, so get one of those.

The only other tools that I can think of are a needle nose pliers and a regular pliers.

The instructions on this website are pretty good, but they miss a lot of steps, too.  It won't be difficult for you to figure out what to do when the instructions don't cover it, though.  Good luck!

ETA: Boy, if I could spell I would be dangerous.  Excuse me while I get back on my short bus.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I was the only one in that room po-fessional enought to carry a  NM Two Stage Trigger.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Nah, I have three of them!

Quoted:
I was the only one in that room po-fessional enought to carry a  NM Two Stage Trigger.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#12]
FYI, Hardcase, before I took the class last year I thought I knew a ton about building ARs.  After all, I had built 4 of them to date.

I learned that there was even more I didn't know after taking the class.  So, at the risk of starting a flame war, IBTL, AGNTSA and everything else, let me recommend that even though one may learn a lot from reading about it or looking up info on-line, there is no substitute for expert knowledge.

FLAME ON!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
FYI, Hardcase, before I took the class last year I thought I knew a ton about building ARs.  After all, I had built 4 of them to date.

I learned that there was even more I didn't know after taking the class.  So, at the risk of starting a flame war, IBTL, AGNTSA and everything else, let me recommend that even though one may learn a lot from reading about it or looking up info on-line, there is no substitute for expert knowledge.

FLAME ON!

Very True!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
FLAME ON!

What are you, part of the Fantastic Four now?

But yah, I can't see why anyone would flame you for a true statement...

I'd feel fully confident in building a 1911 from scratch, fitting what I'd need to, etc...but I certainly could use (read: need) a competent smith to guide and instruct me on the details of it. Just cause I read it in a book doesn't mean I'm now the font of knowledge on it..

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Missed another one, and I was looking forward to is because I really could use the help. Oh well, on the up side I did get to work 40 hours between Saturday and Sunday.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I took the course last year.  I would have loved to have taken it again but I had to get my CPR certification done and Saturday was the only day I could do it.

The course was a great confidence builder in learning how to build and repair your own.  It's amazing how the things were designed to be so idiot proof to put together.

After the class I picked up the Olyarms multitool, handguard tool, A2 sight tool, vise block for the upper, and a set of punches.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I took the course last year.  I would have loved to have taken it again but I had to get my CPR certification done and Saturday was the only day I could do it.

The course was a great confidence builder in learning how to build and repair your own.  It's amazing how the things were designed to be so idiot proof to put together.

After the class I picked up the Olyarms multitool, handguard tool, A2 sight tool, vise block for the upper, and a set of punches.  

I'd lay odds that you would consider those some  of your wiser purchases for your AR accessories.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:06:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I had one there too....but I had to keep it hidden in the corner

ETA:  I'll get the pics up somewhere soon.  The class was a total hands on "Touch & Feel" sort of class
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:40:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had one there too....but I had to keep it hidden in the corner

You let me take all the crap!!!
So much for having my six......  

Can't wait for pictures
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:50:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
You let me take all the crap!!!
So much for having my six......  

What, and come out of hiding and give away my location

I did have it out, reassembled it and I was the one asking Sully questions on it....I got a bit of flack as well...it's just that it was my only NAATTTIOOONNNNNAAAALLLL   MAAAAATTTTCCCCHHHHH component I had on the gun
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:25:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

FLAME ON!

You have a good point.  I'm not the kind of guy who says "You don't need all that thar book larnin.'"  I would like to take the class, too.  It's just that you can build an AR by following the instructions on this site, too.  I agree with what Ed says, too.  I don't mean to say that I'm the last word on AR building.  Quite the contrary.

Just FYI, the one that I built last week did go "bang."  I did have some problems with it, but nothing serious.  In fact the only real problems that I had were a couple of jams, but I was using cheap ammo & old mags, so it could have been their fault as well as the new rifle.  The only other problem that I had was with the cheap optics coming loose & that was just a matter of tightening a screw, about a 30 second job.

Anyway, I hope to take the Armourers Course some day, too, along with a course on building a 45 like Ed mentioned.

Now where is the "Flame" extinguisher?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Where the hell is VA-Gunnut now, when we are acting all nice and stuff???
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:50:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I really enjoyed the class!!!!! I have been taking them apart and re-assembling for a while now. It has always been my opinion that if you take even only 1 good thing home...it was worth the time/money. The pipe cleaner trick was worth it for me. Not to mention entertainment from Paul I also got to try hands on with some tools/equipment that I had heard about, but thought I didn't need. Brownells/Adco stock going up this week...... The company also made it worthwhile. Thanks for a great time, Sully, and everyone!
Cheers,
Dave
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I am going to kick everyone in the ding ding for that touch and feel joke.    
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I am going to kick everyone in the ding ding for that touch and feel joke.    

Just wait for the pictures to be posted
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Wanted to thank Sully and everyone else that helped out with my problem-child Stag Arms upper, and its front sight pins of doom.  

The class was awesome.  I learned many things that I thought I already knew...sound familiar?  It was great to see all the different types of toys and the headaches or joy they can bring

Stupid of me to even think of it now, but did someone previously take out the pins and put the taper pins IN from the wrong side, causing the problems removing them....
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Here are some of the long awaited pics of the course

http://www.animalinc.com/ar15/jan2006/
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Stupid of me to even think of it now, but did someone previously take out the pins and put the taper pins IN from the wrong side, causing the problems removing them....

You know, I was thinking the exact same thing last night...might have to get the 2x4 and the hammer back out...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#29]
HA!  death451, watch yo' six, dawg!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Here are some of the long awaited pics of the course

http://www.animalinc.com/ar15/jan2006/

FlashDude Pics

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Great class, nice people!  My second (did Tactical Carbine last year) class with Sully.  I'm glad I took the class instead of learning by the WECSOG method.  I've taught myself to do a lot of even more complicated stuff over the years but it usually involved a lot of trial and error.  Professional instruction shortens the learning curve.  I came away with an understanding of the parts and their function.  And a feeling of total confidence.

The drive home to SE WI was a real drag.  Took 5 1/2 hours with only 2 short stops.  Got to be like driving in a tunnel.  I drove up Friday during the day and was able to take in the scenery along the way.

I'd recommend the Brownells FSB block over the 2X4's.  I have the block and used it twice.  It supports the FSB better.  Still not perfect even at that.  The barrel tends to "roll" a bit when hit.  Also, the FSB on my ArmaLite didn't fit the block as well as the FSB on a Bushy.  Slight differences in some of those "mil-spec" parts.

After hearing Sully's comments regarding NM triggers, I'd like try a side-by-side comparison of a NM vs. a stock trigger with some polishing and maybe a spring kit.

BTW; I joked about being "almost as old as Sully", but in reality I'm pretty sure I'm older.  We both have about the same amount of hair though.

See ya'll again sometime!

Mike
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#32]
The course was great.  I never would dare touch the rear sight or the hammer and trigger but now... Look out.  Placed an order with Brownells this morning for more tools.  Great class.

Oh yea, FED G and I took a tour of the local gunshops on friday, we hit Bill's south.  I like the add "I'm a mortgage broker by day, gun toting bad ass on the weekend" or something like that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Oh yea, FED G and I took a tour of the local gunshops on friday, we hit Bill's south.  I like the add "I'm a mortgage broker by day, gun toting bad ass on the weekend" or something like that.

That is our own mcnielsen. Too bad he was using a commie gun.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Great Class. Learned lots. Now I'm not afraid to tackle of few modifications. Glad to see some familiar faces and some new ones. Thanks to all for a fun weekend. Why did Sully have to hand out those gift certificates tward the purchase of a new rifle? Pure temptation!  Thanks Dan
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:12:16 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is our own mcnielsen. Too bad he was using a commie gun.

I resemble that remark!

What I want to know is did Death451 ever get his gas tube removed?  one year of Kroil should've done the trick, even through all that "Quality Wolf Laquer"
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:22:10 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
What I want to know is did Death451 ever get his gas tube removed?  one year of Kroil should've done the trick, even through all that "Quality Wolf Laquer"

It came out very easy from what he told me, but he also said he Kroiled the crap out of it the night before, and that morning just before we took the uppers apart.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't think that I can say anything that hasn't been said already, so i'll just keep it simple.

"Awesome!"
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#39]
I checked my O-ring kit at work for the extractor upgrade O-ring.  It's a Parker kit and the O-ring that fit the best is a #2-007, their #2.  Size is 5/32" nominal I.D..  This O-ring fit nicely over the extractor spring.  The extractor went back into the bolt body with only a little extra effort.  Never had a problem with extraction, but a little insurance can't hurt.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:40:24 AM EDT
[#40]
VA-Gunnut probably has horror stories to tell from the nuns with those three sided wooden rulers he was whacked with across the knuckles with, too! So, he is living out his calling to keep us kids in line! He probably has stetched out Left ear from being dragged from his desk kicking and screaming to the principals office, too!  Heck he probably has them aerodynamic  paddles with the holes in them for increased impact velocity!  Ouch!  Not that I would know anything about such items impacting on my six, or being whacked across the knuckles!  I am still trying to figure out what the nun meant with having impure thoughts?

Quoted:

Quoted:
Where the hell is VA-Gunnut now, when we are acting all nice and stuff???

I'm kind of like a Vice-Principal, you usually don't see me untill there is a problem.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I certainly love my A1 rear sight, but the problem I've noticed is that I purchased it from DPMS, and the spring was out-of-spec size.  After clipping off 1.5 coils of the spring it fit & functioned fine...  

Do what you've got to do!  My current selector lever detent is actually the tip of a nail-head that I rounded off a bit.

Glad to hear everyone had a great time!  Who brought the coffee?

Guy,

Gimme a holler.
I have an extra that I found in the couch cushions after class...(Don't ask)
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#42]
I had a great time! For awhile I thought that ejector  plunger  retaining roll pin wouldn't give up. Good god, how many punches did that thing eat?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:30:16 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Guy,

Gimme a holler.
I have an extra that I found in the couch cushions after class...(Don't ask)

I think that was mine.    Oh well, finder's keeper's.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top