Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 3:28:31 AM EDT
Anyone work with or know someone that works with concrete. I need to remove about 3/4" of the front half of my garage floor. We just bought a 15 person van and it JUST clears.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:21:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Best thing you look into is a angle grinder(hand held)  with a concrete grinding blade.. And grinde away.May I add the blade runs about 300 bucks, but its cheaper than paying someone else...  Just my 2cents worth..
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:05:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Could you just remove some of the header above the garage door and make a larger door opening?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:44:45 AM EDT
[#3]
When I was a kid, one of had to get out of my dad's Suburban and get the stick we used to prop up the garage door and get that extra 1-2" of clearance.  

He had that fucking truck for 9 years.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:07:03 AM EDT
[#4]
You could buy a lowering kit for the van.  I'm not talking getto low but just an inch or less.  If its like most floors it only has 4 inches of concrete.  If you remove an inch that leaves you with 3 inches.  It could start to crack.  Thats almost  removing  25% of the floor.  I mean it could crack bad.  Then comes time to sell the house and you would have to do an overlay.  Which will cost you $$$$.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:16:08 AM EDT
[#5]
St. Paul based gun-guy - nice fellow too!

http://www.thereconstructionist.com

On his website, he has pics of a deer he took with a FAL.

RS
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:02:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You could buy a lowering kit for the van.  I'm not talking getto low but just an inch or less off the ground, Yo!    

Yeah, get one of those hydrolic systems then your van will be bumpin and rockin, yo!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Could you just remove some of the header above the garage door and make a larger door opening?

A friend's garage had an 1.5" rough cut trim board plus another .5" decorative trim under that.  Removed the .5" trim board and planed the 1.5" board down to .5" giving another 1.5".
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#8]
If your still looking. My brother is top shit with concrete pours, and repair. And he needs extra work this month!

He is by Forest Lake. If you want me to give you his number. IM me.

He's a good guy. Enjoys his work. Never price gouges.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#9]
On concrete just so you guys now ..If done PROPERLY  its has a weight capacity of 4000 lbs per square inch... losing 1/2 inch is no big deal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top