Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2005 3:16:59 PM EDT
I have a R1A1 FAL inch receiver (Hesse)  STG58 bbl  

Need headpace/once over and maybe some US parts (to make legal?)

I think I have all the needed parts (except US)  anybody that helps out with this can keep the non-us parts if they want-if it is any incentive... Obviously will pay for the service- just want a working FAL thats legal and set up correctly.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know of any smiths, but I've built one and have another in the works.

Is it built up right now or are you putting it together from parts?  If you bought it complete it should have all the necessary US parts. IIRC you need 7 US parts to make the FAL compliant.

One mine it was:

Receiver
buttstock
pistol grip
hammer
trigger
sear
charging handle

Here's teh list

Section 922(r) of the Gun Control Act (GCA) prohibits assembly of
certain semiautomatic rifles and shotguns from imported parts. The
implementing regulations in section 178.39 of Title 27, Code of
Federal Regulations provide that no person shall assemble a
semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the
following imported parts if the assembled firearm is prohibited
from importation under section 925(d)(3) of the GCA as not being
particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting
purposes:

(1)   Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings
     or stampings
(2)   Barrels
(3)   Barrel extensions
(4)   Mounting blocks (trunnions)
(5)   Muzzle attachments
(6)   Bolts
(7)   Bolt carriers
(8)   Operating rods
(9)   Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

The FAL has 17 of the 20, so you need to have 7 US parts to bring the count under 10 imported.

As far as headspace I have a set of .308 headspace gages and some gage pins also to check the headspacing, depending if it's built or not.

Hope it helps.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:52:08 AM EDT
[#2]
it is partially assembled, but needs th american parts. the bbl is on now but probably need to be shimmed.  I really dont know much about these. woudl be nice if there was someone who could actually do this build!  I am sure you could, but I would need someone to do it complete- better safe than sorry.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#3]
First off IIRC Hesse'sreceivers were never actually a true "Inch" specific receivers. Additionally, if you have an Inch receiver set up and a StG 58 bbl. you would be way off come sighting in. The Inch and Metric had different sight heights and you could not mix and match. Finally, if you have Hesse, most Smith's will not even touch 'em. Robert Hesse (now Vulcan Arms) is known to make some of the most spectactular crap ever invented. His AK receivers are in the OK range, but I guess that goes to show that it takes real talent to screw up an AK receiver!
If you want any specific FAL questions answered, you need to head to the FALFILES, you will not find a better bunch of "Fal'o'holics anywhere. Just be warned that you might receive some negative type of posts regarding Hesse stuff because many have been burned by them.
IM me if you have any questions, I have about 5 FALs that I have build over the years. All of them 100% reliable but build on either Imbel or DCI recievers.
Good Luck,
SCOUTS OUT
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Vulcan = Hesse!  UFDA!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Vulcan = Hesse!  UFDA!

I bet you can come up with better words than that  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#6]
bummer
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, you sir are very right but I was being generous! Plus there is not enough Excedrin to stop the headaches!

Quoted:

Quoted:
Vulcan = Hesse!  UFDA!

I bet you can come up with better words than that  

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Randy at Territorial Gunsmiths (952-931-9451) is also a FAL lover. I would give him a call for any FAL gunsmithing questions..... just don't mention it's a Hesse receiver
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top