Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2005 7:54:49 PM EDT
those damn beetles that just won't die!

I vacuumed up the house this morning to prepare for this evenings guests, and by the time people started arriving those damn things were crawling all over everything again!

They had pretty much disappeared during that cold snap last week, but now that it's warmed up again they are all over the place.  I can't figure out where they're coming from, the cold snap should have killed them all.

Fracken things.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:22:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Any furniture I move reveals more red and black carcasses.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Any furniture I move reveals more red and black carcasses.

You should check your light fixtures, lots of them there probably as well.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#3]
We've removed about 100 of them in the 6 months we've lived here.  Here's our motivation:

We leave a zip lock bag on the counter.  We add bugs to it as we find them - its kind of neat to see 30-40 bugs squirming around in the bag.   Keep a bag handy and you'll get a bunch.

Robert
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Sounds like you need an exterminator.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:31:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Are they like flies, where if you freeze them they "die", but when it warms up they come back to life. Flies are generally really slow and dumb when the wake back up, but evedently smart enough to reproduce
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:43:41 AM EDT
[#6]
After seeing two houses that have been infested with them, I am POSITIVE you'll never get rid of them without chemicals.  The carcasses will never leave.  Here is what I base this on:

1) Hunting shack.  Old farm house, log walls, etc.  Leaks like a sieve.  We were replacing some panelling and literally every void not filled with something else was full of these things, mostly dead.  Man did that shit stink.

2) Brothers house.  Built in the last three years, very tight, new seals everywhere.  He's had a terrible problem with them, to the point they only use a garage door to come into and out of the house, everything else is taped shut with masking take.  We were up in his attic adding an amplifier to his antenna, and the insulation up there is full of those things.  I gotta think his walls are probably packed too.  Short of killing all of them in one fell swoop, I don't see how he's gonna get rid of them.

Thankfully my house has been spared.  I have seen a few (think a couple dozen, not thousands) this year, which were all promptly removed.  I get boxelder bugs, but they haven't been that bad the last few years, and they only last a few weeks.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top