Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 10:26:11 AM EDT
I went in to renew my permit to purchase today (I'm turning 19 on the 6th and got one right away when I turned 18), and I was glancing through the part on the back and noticed that it said...

"must be at least 21 years old to acquire or possess a handgun or semiautomatic military-style assault weapons, and under federal law must be at least 21 years old to acquire handguns from licensed dealer."

I swear when I filled the form out last year it said only 18 to acquire or possess a handgun or assault weapon, but still 21 to buy handguns from lic. dealers. Whats up with that? I have bought AR's on my current permit from many dealers and am obviously in posession of "assault weapons".

Have the laws in MN changed? What's going on?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#1]
If I'm not mistaken, it's federal law, not state law, that dictates that you must be 21 or older to purchase a handgun or "assault" (laugh) rifle from an FFL.  From what I know (very little,) it's been 21 for handguns for much longer than just a few years.  That's the way it's been since I bought my first one 4 years ago...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I know that it has been 21 to purchase handguns from dealers for a long time. But federal law say 18 for "assasult weapons". MN has its own clause that you must have a permit to purchase in order to acquire or posess assault weapons and handguns. I got a permit to purchase last year which said I could buy assault weapons (and posess handguns bought from individuals) at the age of 18 under the MN clause (federal is 18 for assault weapons too). But now it says must be 21 to acquire or posess assault weapons? I'm confused.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Age to buy for assault weapons, handguns, and handgun ammo has always been 21 in MN.

Age to own any of the above has always been 18 in MN.

I'm 20 right now. If the posession age has changed, I'm in a lot of troub....I mean....did I mention that I had this horrible boating accident last week? I decided to take out all my assualt weapons and handguns out on the lake while fishing, but capsized and lost them all.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#4]
It was 21 when I turned 21 (1983)
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:45:55 AM EDT
[#5]
there are still some places that will sell ARs to people that are 18, but that is because the people that work there dont know the laws...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yah, but you had OTHER weapons to play with back then...
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#7]
The restrictions and age requirements are stated on page 3 of the application document.

www.dps.state.mn.us/bca/Forms/Documents/FirearmAppPurchaseTransfer.pdf
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The restrictions and age requirements are stated on page 3 of the application document.

www.dps.state.mn.us/bca/Forms/Documents/FirearmAppPurchaseTransfer.pdf

I knew I wasn't crazy! That form says 18 to acquire or posess, but the form that I got at the sherifs office said 21. I went to get another copy of the office and it looks just like this one www.dps.state.mn.us/bca/Forms/Documents/MNUniformFirearmApp.pdf
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#9]
interesting.. both forms are revised 01/04, but show different age requirement.

link I gave you was from Olmsted County website.. best error on safe side and assume state website form is correct.. or, ask at the LE Center.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
interesting.. both forms are revised 01/04, but show different age requirement.

link I gave you was from Olmsted County website.. best error on safe side and assume state website form is correct.. or, ask at the LE Center.

You would think that the form that states 18 as age to acquire and posess would be the correct one wouldn't you? I was issued a permit right after my 18th b-day, they wouldn't issue permits if you couldn't even buy them, right?

I will stop by the govt center when I have some free time and find out for sure.

I can't wait untill I turn 21 and can get a Carry permit and don't have to mess with all this crap.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#11]
18 to own or posses and 21 to purchase.

I had a carry permit when I was 20, 9 years ago, in Itasca County. I could carry but not buy one at the dealer I worked for.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I had a carry permit when I was 20, 9 years ago, in Itasca County. I could carry but not buy one at the dealer I worked for.

I thought you had to be 21 to get a Carry permit in MN? or was that just back then?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought you had to be 21 to get a Carry permit in MN? or was that just back then?

Now it's 21 with the new carry law.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That was when I was BORN!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:53:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was when I was BORN!

respect your elders, my son!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top