Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2005 8:02:43 PM EDT
1) If I understand things correctly, you can own an "assault weapon" or handgun if you are 18, but you have to be 21 to buy it. Does this mean a father can buy a handgun (or whatever) and give it to his 18-or-older son?

2) Do age limit restrictions/"other stuff"not apply to private face-to-face transfers when no FFL holder is involved? I.E., if I am only 19, can I take my SKS or SAR-1 to a gun show and sell it there?

3) I know there are no magazine capacity limits on deer hunting rifles in MN, but is there a "no assault-style weapons" clause that would restrict one from hunting deer with, say, a FAL or G3?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
3) I know there are no magazine capacity limits on deer hunting rifles in MN, but is there a "no assault-style weapons" clause that would restrict one from hunting deer with, say, a FAL or G3?

I can't speak for the first 2 given that I haven't had that problem for 10 years.

There are no restrictions in the hunting regulations pertaining to they type of rifle, just the caliber.

There better not be anytime soon, given that I just picked up a New DSA FAL for deer hunting this fall.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I deer hunted with an HK 91 for a while , the warden checked me and never questioned the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:26:14 AM EDT
[#3]
i use a Century G3 clone for deer hunting.  IIRC the only firearm banned from big game hunting is a machine gun.  everything else, as long as it meets the caliber requirement, is OK.

edit:  forgot the other two questions.  

1)/'2)not sure, because i can't find my ATF book of state firearm regulations( i packed it for a move and am still looking).

the best bet would be to get ahold of the MN state gunlaws.  IIRC all you questions were covered there.  also the ATF regualtions will help to.  both should be available on the web.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#4]
For hunting info:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/regulations/hunting/legalcartridges.html

FYI: No state in the US allows the use of the 50BMG for deer, elk, bear, or moose.
(so I was told by a 50BMG ammo reseller)

Although the .223/5.56 is not allowed for big game in MN, the 6.8SPC is legatl to hunt with.
(as is the 458SOCOM and 50 beowolf, since they meet both case length and bullet diameter)

No 460 rowland for us in MN. ND allows it though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm 18, 19 in two months. If you want to buy an "assault weapon" or handgun in MN you have to have a permit to purchase. You can get that at 18. Then you can buy "assault weapons" from dealers or individuals, doesn't matter, I've done it twice since I turned 18. However, you can't buy a handgun from a FFL untill you are 21, thats a federal law. I'm not sure if its OK to buy handguns through private partys or not. HTH
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:25:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm 18, 19 in two months. If you want to buy an "assault weapon" or handgun in MN you have to have a permit to purchase. You can get that at 18. Then you can buy "assault weapons" from dealers or individuals, doesn't matter, I've done it twice since I turned 18. However, you can't buy a handgun from a FFL untill you are 21, thats a federal law. I'm not sure if its OK to buy handguns through private partys or not. HTH

ok... second time i've asked this question, last time i got a stupid reply which in no way answered my question, maybe now that i'm a paying member i can have it actually answered.  How was I able to buy an AK style gun from a dealer at a gun show without a permit? i'm also not 21.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:42:45 AM EDT
[#7]
if it is in "postban ....ie. 94-04" configuration it is not considered an assault weapon in MN and can be purchased a normal longarm.  

edit: had to correct wording
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:22:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ok... second time i've asked this question, last time i got a stupid reply which in no way answered my question, maybe now that i'm a paying member i can have it actually answered.  How was I able to buy an AK style gun from a dealer at a gun show without a permit? i'm also not 21.

Just because that is what the law states, it doesn't mean people understand it or will follow it to the letter.  IE:  the dealer that sold you the AK may have a surprise later this year when the BATFE audits his records...
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#9]
The only legal and definitive source for answers is not AR15.com, but Mike Hatch's office in St. Paul. No one owes you an answer because your are paying member!  There are quite a few dealers that do not abide by MN law vs. the expired Federal Ban.  If some dealer in the state of MN sold you AK with out a permit to purhase so what?  Someone broke the law, the dealer and you by receiving it!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top