Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2005 4:25:16 PM EDT
Well, it's official...after a couple of months of flip-flops at work, they finally approved my relocation to the twin cities area from NYC.

I can't even begin to describe how happy I am right now.

(For all of you who IMed me since I've been here, thank you...and I apologize that I kind of fell off the world and didn't get back to some of you I've been busier than a one-legged man in an asskicking contest with work...currently there's a 50/50 chance that I'll be at work on any given weekend. Kinda busy.)

So, to that end, I met with a realtor in the area, and after a couple of weeks and all that...I think I finally found my place today. New construction, which surprisingly is working out for me a lot better than I thought it would.

Does anyone have any opinion of the Howard Lake/Waverly area? Work is in Minnetonka, and this place is about 30 or so miles west of it. Apparently this is an insane distance out here...I'm used to an hour + commute to work, so a 30 mile drive is like, a breath of fresh air to me I found a new construction property out there that is looking awesome for what I'd like. Enough land to comfortably have some friends over for a BBQ and whatnot ..and probably a lot more land than I'd be able to afford in NY for the price of it. Some privacy to it (the back of the land is protected wetlands; they ain't building there, and I like wetlands anyway)..some new development right off of Howard Lake. Within walking distance, actually.

Any opinions of the area?

One of the things that really sold me was the LED sign in Waverly broadcasting that the rifle and pistol club was open...something you'd never see in NY where I am, heh.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#1]
i live in the frigid north and don't know much about that area of the metro, but welcome.

dave
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#2]
MN is bocoming more gun friendly as we deport/execute liberals more and more...but thats arguable.

The MN papers have horribly written editorials and some of the worst journalists this side of Jayson Blair.

But, there are more NRA and GOA members here than in NY.

You lucked out...we just (re)passed shall-issue personal protection in this state.

Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Some privacy to it (the back of the land is protected wetlands; they ain't building there, and I like wetlands anyway)..some new development right off of Howard Lake. Within walking distance, actually.

Any opinions of the area?

Yes. We are glad you are moving there so we can come over for a BBQ & Duck Hunt in the back yard!

Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome, and like I said Ed any time. m-dc
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
MN is bocoming more gun friendly as we deport/execute liberals more and more...but thats arguable.

The MN papers have horribly written editorials and some of the worst journalists this side of Jayson Blair.

But, there are more NRA and GOA members here than in NY.

You lucked out...we just (re)passed shall-issue personal protection in this state.

Oh, they did?? Awesome!

Yah, I'm a life NRA member (if you don't help them, they can't help you)..on the firearms front, NY is heading to where Hawaii and Jersey and California are.

Things seem much more laid back, and forgiving, out here.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yes. We are glad you are moving there so we can come over for a BBQ & Duck Hunt in the back yard!

Hah!

Actually, I inquired about that with my agent

He said something about a local ordnance...whatever. I gotta hit the lawbooks and see what's up with that

Tho, if you use a quiet pellet gun and dine on Peking Duck pretty regularly...who will know or care, other than ask a) where the Chinese place is, and b) what it cost to deliver Peking Duck..

I already hit up the guy (funnily enough, he grew up in Queens)...he said what I was afraid of...no decent bagel places around, and trying to find good Italian food is on par with searching for the Loch Ness Monster...

Hey, we take our food seriously...apparently about as seriously as the start of fishing date here is taken...
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Welcome, and like I said Ed any time. m-dc

No worries...I apologize for dropping off the planet like I did

My time-management skills suck the big one, and it doesn't help with the kind of work that I do (off-time heavy, financial industry backend shit.)

When I get things set up tho, the MN crew will be invited over. If nothing else, I can introduce everyone to the mosquitos in the backyard.

Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Welcome neighbor!  I drive through Howard Lake almost every day on my 37 mile commute.    I live about 17 miles northwest of there.  I know a lot of people that live there, it seems like a decent town.  

It will get very difficult for you to drive around the lake on cty rd 6 while the wright county fair is going on this summer.  It gets extremely crowded.  I believe it's in june.

You'll want to get a membership at Gopher Campfire, it's about 15 miles southwest of howard lake.  There are some pics of it in this thread www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=28&t=197406  
I havent heard much of the Waverly gun club.  A friend from work grew up in Waverly and was a member there, but he prefers Gopher.

Enjoy the new home.

Eli
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Welcome Aboard Ed!!  
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Welcome

Link Posted: 5/15/2005 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#11]
'Sup
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:53:09 AM EDT
[#12]
welcome to the land of 10K lakes
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks all Mortgage approved...hopefully I'll actually get what I want. We'll see.

Yah, everyone goes on about the snow...I got here at the end of February and there was one (1) snowstorm the entire time after that.

NEW YORK CITY GOT MORE SNOW THAN HERE.

So...nyah.

I guess we'll see come November

And for those in the twin cities area...if you happened to spot a big white Dodge Ram with some stickers in the rear window, sporting NY tags...it was probably me who cut you off, sorry.

I still don't understand the fascination with actually following the speed limits here....but whatever.

edited to fix cause my mental spell check broke.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thanks all Mortgage approved...hopefully I'll actually get what I want. We'll see.

Yah, everyone goes on about the snow...I got here at the end of February and there was one (1) snowstorm the entire time after that.

NEW YORK CITY GOT MORE SNOW THAN HERE.

So...nyah.

It's not the snow that gets to ya. It's when you step outside and your snot instantly freezes. Brrr.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:23:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Welcome to the relatively free state of Minnesota!

So, do you talk funny like dose other New Yorkers, over there, then?
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Welcome to the relatively free state of Minnesota!

So, do you talk funny like dose other New Yorkers, over there, then?

Heh...actually it's kinda funny.

I so totally notice I have an accent now. It's really weird. I'm not even from NYC! I guess I just spent too much time there...

Besides, there's an upside to being the stereotypical NYer.

"Whaddya mean, I gotta stop at a stop sign?? Shit, they're optional! Ain't they?"

I signed the "I will buy this house if it's still for sale" papers today, whatever the hell they're called...so, barring something insanely weird, I close on or before July 15...maybe. I'll see over the week, if the house is up for grabs, if they can do the work do it I want done (I want Cat6 run through everything...gotta have ethernet)...

I actually did a test commute today back to the house from work; 45 minutes, stuck behind someone who had this insane need to follow the speed limit to the letter. What is it with y'all and speed limits? Don't you know they're just recommended speeds of travel?

I coulda done it in like 20...

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey, Evil_Ed

I live about 20 minutes south of Howard Lake

The area you are looking at is a growing area, I would know because
I used to do underground utility locates for that area.

I have a "hobby farm" just south of there and would be glad to welcome
you to the neighborhood  

It doesn't hurt that I have a 100yd range either.

GM
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Double tap because of some malfunction
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:09:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Welcome Ed.

I was born in NY (Orange Co. to be exact)

Waverly is a great and rapidly growing community, but a very nice place too.

Sua Sponte,
Prrib
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Nice area, it growing pretty fast. I live in Cokato which is 5 miles west of Howard Lake. Its the right distance for me. You can take advantage of the shopping in the cities, yet have the peace and quiet of living out in the country.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Welcome!  Howard Lake is a nice area.  As a plus no matter what happens to the carry bill here in Minnesota you have a pro gun Sheriff in Wright county if you are so inclined.  Hope your move goes well.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:02:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Everyone, thanks This is awesome.

rgrprib. heh...same here. Cornwall, right next to West Point. It's been overrun by the NYC/Westchester crowd lately One of the many reasons I'm moving out here...it's being all fucked up, and not much I can do about it. Still have my Black Rock membership (fish & game club, and the only good range in Orange, for you MN guys)...I'm seriously considering keeping it current even though I don't live there anymore, just in case I ever go back. Even at $100/year, or $250/yr without the work hours done...it may one day be worth the membership slot. You never know in NY these days..

Tomorrow I have a meeting with the builders of the house, to go over what I want done (Ethernet run everywhere, as well as coax...cable TV...look, I'm a network/computer guy. In 5 years, pre-run cables will be gold)..and go from there.

Closing should be before or during July. Christ, I need to get back to my apt in jersey and clean that shit up...

Everyone, once again, THANK YOU. When there's a meet I can make, be it some backyard BBQ or a range meet at Del-Tone, if I got the free weekend (no small task, ugh, 24x7 jobs have their downsides), I'll be there.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top