Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2004 6:12:25 PM EDT
Man, I thought I was going to pass out waiting for that thing. I was worried that they would not let me have one.

Now all I gotta do is figure out what I want to buy first....hmmmmm.....
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is  my totally worthless advice. Use it at your own risk.

Figure out how much you have to spend and what type of round you can afford to shoot.

Ammo:
.223 is pretty cheap by the case. $150 to $180 for 1K rounds. Locally, Gander Mountain is the cheapest for 50rds for $9. At the shows, you can usually find PMC for $185 or Winchester Q3131A for about the same price. (I have not seen Q3131A in about a year, though)

You can always shoot wolf. Alot of folks do and are religious about cleaning their rifles.
But, it is not as "hot" as XM193 or other mil spec ammo.

For 9mm, 100rds for Winchester WhiteBox at Walmart is $10. (115gr, easy shooting)

Some folks go all crazy for the 40s&w, but, its more $$$ than 9mm.

Rifles:
This is the AR-15 forum...guess what style rifle most folks are going to recommend? ;)
Check out what Sportsman's Warehouse in coon rapids has.
also check out gunstop in eden prairie.

A nice semi-auto AK-47 is always a good choice. $350 most places.

If you go with a semi-auto .308 rifle, G3/CETME, or M1A, ammo will cost ALOT more.

Handguns:
If you are going to shoot 9mm, two options I have always liked are the Springfield XD9 and the Ruger P-89. (The gun guru Bill Cooper  likes the P89....thats enough of an edorsement for me)
I have the XD9...I have NEVER been unhappy with it. $425 most places.
The P89 is $350 most places, but, if you go to Gander Mountain and they have one in stock, price match it +10% against Sportsman Warehouse just for fun.

For 40S&W, well, Glock, Springfield XD40, or S&W are not bad choices. Taurus autos suck -  I have found them to be jam-o-matics with almost every hollowpoint bullet I have used. (SXT, gold dots, golden sabers, hydro shocks...etc) Striechers has/had glock 40s&w for $400 (or there abouts) just recently.

For 45acp, I only like 3 handguns. The USP45, the Ruger P90, and the ever classic 1911. (Kimber and Springfield both had VERY nice 1911 clones for around $550-$600)

In any event, remember this:
"when shopping for a gun, spend as much money as you have. Ask your friends and family to loan you some more money and buy the gun with all the features you NEED and get the one or two of the features you THINK you need."

There are alot of good Kimbers and such at Gunstop...give howard and larry a call and see what they have to offer. (used, but, good stuff most of the time)

I have heard many owners of 1911 handguns refer to them as their own little crack pipe. they put alot of money into them and get a high off of the smoke coming out of them...and they just go back for more.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey Kid,

I can only Recommend Colts and a ArmaLite, but this past year I have been on a Colt binge..............Inuh and Fed know what its like to have a pony in the stable

Let me know when you need some more bowling pins, I have a stockpile of them again
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I switched to 230gr LRN for my 45acp and it LOVES it.

Since its subsonic, there is virutally no leading.
The LRN feeds just perfect.

Drops my shooting costs to below $10/100rds.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:20:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:15:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, I already have three AR's(two home build) , an AK, and my 226, but I've had those for  many years (I had very understanding parrents, as long as I bought them, they were willing to put their name on that little yellow piece of paper)

But now I just want something to get the bug out of my system. I want to put my own name on that piece of paper. Thing is, I can't buy pistols from people who hold FFL's. They say I can buy from individuals, but no federally lic. dealers. I was thinking a FAL, but $$$$$. Some kind of .22 pistol or a .45 , but again, I'd have to check the newspapers for individuals who want to sell.

In reality I'm probably just going to buy lots more ammo and mags for what I have, and get the configurations perfect. I want to take a few carbine and pistol classes (hear that sully), and probably hope I don't lose my job. It is an expensive hobby.

dpmmn - The pins are holding up great, I've had one box out to the range about 12 time and have gone at them with about 200rds of 9mm each time. I still have 4 boxes left. I just wish they let us shoot them with things other than a pistol as I would really like to use my AR on them
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:26:03 AM EDT
[#7]
The best thing you can do is hone your skills.  It does not matter squat if you have all the guns in the world.  Remember fear the guy that has one, because he knows how to use it!  Get a 22 pistol and hone your skills.  Take classes from Sully!  But then you to practice.  PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
You can shoot ten rounds of 22LR to each round of 9mm!  That way your center fire range time is all that much more meaningful!
Forget upgrading your centerfire handgun!  Shoot it till it falls apart!  The 226 is a good and fun gun!

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:41:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#9]
"Just have the dealer write "Pistol" on the 4473 for the stripped lower, and you're home-free!"

I tried that the last time I bought a stipped lower and the dealer told me that the receiver had to be designated for a handgun from the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I have too heard that they just had to put pistol on the 4473.

An AR pistol would be cool(and make huge fireballs) but again I get into the problem of not being able to buy pistols from FFL dealers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top