Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2004 5:01:27 PM EDT
I went to the MWCA show in Roch last weekend and have to say it pretty much sucked.  Anything AR was overpriced.

SP1 and "Pre-Ban" Colt AR-15 $1300-1400
RRA 6 position stocks $90
VLTOR stocks $99
M16 mags (US & English) $20-30 (Used)
Arsenal SAM-7 $650-700

There were some decent prices on handguns there.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Gun shows seem to have the exact same vendors shlepping the exact same crap. (lately)

There is a table with lots of patriotic flags all about with Taurus PT92's for $500.
($389 at Gander Mountain, $365 at Sportsman's Warehouse)

I dont' go to ones outside the twin cities. (well, maybe anoka and pine city if i am in town those weekends)

With the advent of Gunbroker.com, FAC, sportsman warehouse, Gander mountain price matching, and stuff at Strieckers and Gunstop, gunshows don't impress me. (unless I need cheap holsters or rigging or that VLAW that I want to use for launching model rockets)
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the advent of the Internet new stuff that does not require a FFL is way cheaper.  But, when it comes to trading guns off there is not much choice as FAC and Sportsmans's Warehouse do not take trades.  Plus we all know shooters are a bunch of cheap bastards so there is little reason to have accessories for sale at shows so we have ourselves to blame. The money it seems is in C&R/Surplus type of weapons.  I have a friend that does good with C&R Weapons, surplus weapons. and ammo.  Plus we do not have the shows on of the numbers generated like OKC.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#3]
rn22723 got it right....Just like you go into Best Buy now and are shocked at the high prices compared to online retailers, the gun biz, and just about every other biz, is affected by it.  Heck, even the car dealers had to adjust.

I like going to look around at stuff and pick up little things that would normally kill a deal due to shipping, but otherwise, I've only ever bought 1 gun at a gun show.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:02:43 AM EDT
[#4]
When we lost the ability to get new mfg. machine guns in 86, in return we got to buy ammo, brass, and components without benefit of an FFL.  There was a trade off so to speak.  There used to be a guy from Elk River that set up at show and had great prices on Leupold scopes, and there was a guy from down by the IA border that used to sell allot in the Gun List and he had tables of NIB Remingtons and Win. rifles and shotguns at great prices.

With Dick's buying out Galyans, we just lost of source of handguns with store that would match prices.  Heck the last time I was in Galyans they still have 700 VS for 599  and that is a good price.

We are surrounded by Scheels, and they do not sell EBR's.  GM will order but not stock.  And, if what Justin says from DPMS, DPMS will in very short time quit doing shows as they build up a distribution network.  So, that does not leave very much left.  Hart Bros from Albert Lea has new guns at the bigger shows, and the fellow from St. Peter.  Bose's quit doing shows for a while and now his son is back in the area.

We can whine all we want, but we are just simply left with either high prices or the interminable wait for the BBT or Fed Ex or DHL to drop off our care packages from various vendors.

I buy most of reloading supplies at the Gunstop.  John has very good prices!  Howard has prices that are much better then most, and he trades at the tag price so that is a good deal.  It is cheaper to order from Cabelas then to drive down to Owatonna.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#5]
It's humorous to hear the vendors who are still trying to sell the same over-priced crap complain about people not buying.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I got a little chuckle out of the show.  The guy selling the RRA parts tried telling me that they were a Military Contractor.  I told him that, do the best of my knowledge, they weren't.  He then told me that he was told that by an employee at RRA that they were.

A little later I came back to him with my RRA TActical Carry Handle, and asked him if he'd be interested in a trade for the 6 pos stock.  He told me no, and that he shouldn't even have the stocks on the table for sale because they were in short supply and he runs a mail order business.  Whatever!

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Where do I get a VLTOR for less than that?

The Arsenenal AK's will be that price as they are the Cadilac of AK's.  
Well worth that price for the best ak's to be had.

I have also said this once before that the shows suck. All gun shows in different states are great go to a show in Iowa once or Tulsa, OK. or PA for that fact ,they are much better. Knob Creek is the shit people will deal with you down there.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I really want to go out of state to a big show, any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#9]

And, if what Justin says from DPMS, DPMS will in very short time quit doing shows as they build up a distribution network. So, that does not leave very much left.

OMG, I sure hope that you are wrong about that first part.  They are really the only attractive part of the MWCA shows.  The other shows, without DPMS, aren't really worth a damn.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
When we lost the ability to get new mfg. machine guns in 86, in return we got to buy ammo, brass, and components without benefit of an FFL.  There was a trade off so to speak.  There used to be a guy from Elk River that set up at show and had great prices on Leupold scopes, and there was a guy from down by the IA border that used to sell allot in the Gun List and he had tables of NIB Remingtons and Win. rifles and shotguns at great prices.

With Dick's buying out Galyans, we just lost of source of handguns with store that would match prices.  Heck the last time I was in Galyans they still have 700 VS for 599  and that is a good price.

We are surrounded by Scheels, and they do not sell EBR's.  GM will order but not stock.  And, if what Justin says from DPMS, DPMS will in very short time quit doing shows as they build up a distribution network.  So, that does not leave very much left.  Hart Bros from Albert Lea has new guns at the bigger shows, and the fellow from St. Peter.  Bose's quit doing shows for a while and now his son is back in the area.

We can whine all we want, but we are just simply left with either high prices or the interminable wait for the BBT or Fed Ex or DHL to drop off our care packages from various vendors.

I buy most of reloading supplies at the Gunstop.  John has very good prices!  Howard has prices that are much better then most, and he trades at the tag price so that is a good deal.  It is cheaper to order from Cabelas then to drive down to Owatonna.  

you left out Roy-chelle
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:24:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Where do I get a VLTOR for less than that?

you don't.  i paid $90 or $100 for mine, and then around $40 for the buffer tube.  it's worth it.

------------------------------------------------------------------
a 6 position stock for $90 is not a bad price IMO.  and RRA does have a contract with the DEA or some other gov't org.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I really want to go out of state to a big show, any suggestions?

Knob Creek, KY for the semi-annual machine gun shoot.

machinegunshoot.com
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:37:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Death451

Shoot me an email, I'll hook you up with the Vltor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top