Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2004 12:54:29 PM EDT
KSTP ch 5 today ran a damn anti AW "news piece" three times in
a 1 hour mid-day news program.

It had the usual segment of a guy shooting full auto and then
cut to a table with a few "AWs that the Minneapolis police confiscated.

Then the usual drivel from the chiefs/sherrif and how if the AWB sunsets
at the fed level Minnesota will have to step up to the plate etc.

Sometimes I really hate this state

GM
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw a teaser for that today I will have to watch so I can HATE stuff with you.
I like hateing things.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Hopefully the same legislature that passed CCW will ignore the few loud Euphorians quoted in that story.  Unfortunately MN statute already recognizes semi-auto "assault-weapons" as being in the same purchase category as handguns.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:43:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hopefully the same legislature that passed CCW will ignore the few loud Euphorians quoted in that story.

That's what I was hoping for also

GM
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#4]
KARE 11 led the 5 PM news with the AWB story.  I didn't catch all of it, but they had all of the usual suspects on there, the new Minneapolis chief who doesn't even have security clearance yet, Gaertner from St. Paul saying "Who needs an assault weapon anyway?", busty Amy Klobuchar NOT saying "My dad is a hypocritical newspaperman & a drunk who hypocritically condemned drunken driving many times in his columns but did it himself."

The sanctimony stank.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I listened to the Lady they brought back on AM 1500 (TV 5) She said that the copy had little to do with the fact. (I paraphrase) She really sounded like she had it together.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:51:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is the link from the website

and the article with my response at the bottom (I emailed this back to KSTP)

Hello,

I saw a few seconds of this story and I am delighted to see it made it to the website.  

Local leaders try to keep assault weapons ban alive

MINNEAPOLIS - The federal ban on some military-style weapons is set to expire on Monday. And that has some local leaders concerned.
Several lawmakers, police officers and community groups got together at the Minneapolis city hall to talk about why the 10-year ban on assault weapons needs to continue.
The 1994 law, signed by President Clinton, banned 19 types of semi-automatic weapons. It included a "sunset" clause that it would automatically expire in 10 years if Congress did not renew it.
If the measure does expire, supporters of the ban say 18-year-olds would be able to purchase semi-automatic weapons at gun stores. They also say semi-automatic weapons would be available at gun shows with no background checks.
"We care more about guns than we care about kids," said Bloomington police Chief John Laux. "What is wrong with us? If the people don't support this they ought to be tossed out on their ear."
A police representative from Minnesota is in Washington to ask lawmakers in Congress to pass an extension of the law.
If this ban is allowed to expire, some Minnesota lawmakers say they tend to do something locally.
President Bush has said he supports the ban, but a number of attempts to extend it in Congress have failed.
The National Rifle Association wants the law to expire. The organization says if Congress keeps restricting our freedoms, we're eventually not going to have any left.

My main complaint about this story is thestory is not backed up with truth.

If the measure does expire, supporters of the ban say 18-year-olds would be able to purchase semi-automatic weapons at gun stores. They also say semi-automatic weapons would be available at gun shows with no background checks.

This is an outright lie. The AWB is ending.  Background checks would still have to be done at gunshows.  Every rifel and pistol I have bought at a gunshow, a background check has been done on me.

The federal ban on some military-style weapons is set to expire on Monday.

This is also wrong.  The AWB was about features.  One was still able to purchase an AR15 or an AK47 clone between 1994 and 2004.  IT would not have the same features as the "Military style".  It would not have a flash suppresor and it would not have a folding stock or bayonet lug (when was the last time before the ban was enacted that you had heard of someone getting struck by a bayonet attached to a rifle?) In case you are curious or don't know, they are not full auto weapons.  In, MN the only way you could get a fully automatic rifle, is if it is classified as a C & R weapon (Curios and Relic).  The BATF is the gov't agency that classifies them as C & R.

If the measure does expire, supporters of the ban say 18-year-olds would be able to purchase semi-automatic weapons at gun stores.
This one bugs me.  An 18 year old can vote and join the Army where he/she would use one of these assault weapons that is banned!

This is from MN state law:

For general information on each policy, click the heading for that policy.  Please note that many firearms-related laws have exceptions for military and law enforcement personnel.
Please note, Minnesota statutes sometimes use the word "pistol" when referring generally to handguns.  Minn. Stat. § 624.712, subd. 2.  To avoid confusion, we have simply used the word "handgun" in these cases.

Minn. Stat. § 624.713, subd. 1(a) prohibits the possession of semi-automatic military style assault weapons by persons who are under 18 years of age.  Such persons may carry or possess a semi-automatic military style assault weapon only:

Thank you for your time.

XXXXXXX
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:00:03 AM EDT
[#7]
There is a thread in the GD forum about state AWBs...a positive note for us here in MN is that lately the legislature hasn't been able to do jack on issues where there is even a little controversy.  

It's easy, for me at least, to focus on federal issues all the time.  This is a reminder to keep a lookout on what is going on in St. Paul.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#8]
akajimmy,

Good job

Quoted:
Here is the link from the website

and the article with my response at the bottom (I emailed this back to KSTP)

Hello,

I saw a few seconds of this story and I am delighted to see it made it to the website.  

Local leaders try to keep assault weapons ban alive

MINNEAPOLIS - The federal ban on some military-style weapons is set to expire on Monday. And that has some local leaders concerned.
Several lawmakers, police officers and community groups got together at the Minneapolis city hall to talk about why the 10-year ban on assault weapons needs to continue.
The 1994 law, signed by President Clinton, banned 19 types of semi-automatic weapons. It included a "sunset" clause that it would automatically expire in 10 years if Congress did not renew it.
"We care more about guns than we care about kids," said Bloomington police Chief John Laux. "What is wrong with us? If the people don't support this they ought to be tossed out on their ear."
A police representative from Minnesota is in Washington to ask lawmakers in Congress to pass an extension of the law.
If this ban is allowed to expire, some Minnesota lawmakers say they tend to do something locally.
President Bush has said he supports the ban, but a number of attempts to extend it in Congress have failed.
The National Rifle Association wants the law to expire. The organization says if Congress keeps restricting our freedoms, we're eventually not going to have any left.

My main complaint about this story is thestory is not backed up with truth.

This is an outright lie. The AWB is ending.  Background checks would still have to be done at gunshows.  Every rifel and pistol I have bought at a gunshow, a background check has been done on me.

The federal ban on some military-style weapons is set to expire on Monday.

This is also wrong.  The AWB was about features.  One was still able to purchase an AR15 or an AK47 clone between 1994 and 2004.  IT would not have the same features as the "Military style".  It would not have a flash suppresor and it would not have a folding stock or bayonet lug (when was the last time before the ban was enacted that you had heard of someone getting struck by a bayonet attached to a rifle?) In case you are curious or don't know, they are not full auto weapons.  In, MN the only way you could get a fully automatic rifle, is if it is classified as a C & R weapon (Curios and Relic).  The BATF is the gov't agency that classifies them as C & R.

If the measure does expire, supporters of the ban say 18-year-olds would be able to purchase semi-automatic weapons at gun stores.
This one bugs me.  An 18 year old can vote and join the Army where he/she would use one of these assault weapons that is banned!

This is from MN state law:

For general information on each policy, click the heading for that policy.  Please note that many firearms-related laws have exceptions for military and law enforcement personnel.
Please note, Minnesota statutes sometimes use the word "pistol" when referring generally to handguns.  Minn. Stat. § 624.712, subd. 2.  To avoid confusion, we have simply used the word "handgun" in these cases.

Minn. Stat. § 624.713, subd. 1(a) prohibits the possession of semi-automatic military style assault weapons by persons who are under 18 years of age.  Such persons may carry or possess a semi-automatic military style assault weapon only:

Thank you for your time.

XXXXXXX

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There is a thread in the GD forum about state AWBs...a positive note for us here in MN is that lately the legislature hasn't been able to do jack on issues where there is even a little controversy.  

It's easy, for me at least, to focus on federal issues all the time.  This is a reminder to keep a lookout on what is going on in St. Paul.

Lets hope that is the case

GM

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top