Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2004 3:52:32 AM EDT
So I get to the range about 9:00, kinda late for me, and a couple of guys were already there. It's a small range & there isn't a lot room so I wait around since one guy is just finishing up. Anyway, the guy that was already done has a crossbow. Knowing full well these are even more evil than AW's I'm kinda interested. We BS a bit and he lets me shoot it. Bullseye. I'd never seen one let alone shot one so I thought this was alright.

They left so I whip out the G32 and go to work. It wasn't  my day. Started out good, lost it, got it back, lost it again, etc. I pack up my shit and head down to the trap range 200 yards away to see my buddy who's shootin' some clay.

I just get down to the end when I shit you not, damn near skimming the tops of the trees, comes an *C-130! And right behind it another! As they fly in they bank and fly down the rifle range. Damn I wish I had a camera! They were so close-great big sons-a-bitches-and the full wing view when they banked was just bitchin'. 20 seconds later came a third! Couldn't believe it. Wow.  This REALLY made my day.

* I think it was an C-130 but I'm not familiar with this stuff. I searched the net for pictures and if it wasn't one it was similar. My buddy, a WWII vet, said it was a C-130 and I didn't argue. There were no obvious weapons but all we could see was the front and right side. Looking for details isn't the priority when you see something like this totally unexpected and skimming over the trees.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably heard your "rapid fire" and thought we had ourselves a terriorist uprising right here in the hinter land. Your just lucky they didn't "open-up" with the wheel-guns!  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool.  Reminds me of Memorial Day 2003, we were at my Mom's house, we were out on the lake, all of a sudden the civil defense sirens went off (it was a nice sunny day) and three black helicopters flew by in formation about 300' high.  I'm dead serious.  You just don't expect to see that stuff.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#3]
What you wouldn't give to have a ground to air missle (Or maybe a bottle rocket), (Badly aimed of coarse) just to wake everybody up upstairs. Do they realize that sometimes at the "lack of" altitude that they fly at; they could very easily get some birdshot in their flight path should they encrouch on some field where a bunch of guys are gearing-up for duck season? or maybe that they are just "scaring" the shit out of all the farmers animals within site of their encroachment?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:32:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Do they realize that sometimes at the "lack of" altitude that they fly at; they could very easily get some birdshot in their flight path should they encrouch on some field where a bunch of guys are gearing-up for duck season?

I was thinking about this, too. My buddy is pretty old and his hearing isn't the best. When I saw them come over the trees I was honking, yelling, and waving trying to get his attention but he waved at me & went back to work. He had just squeezed one off but didn't see the planes till they had passed over him.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top