Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2003 7:33:35 PM EDT
I have been having problems with alot of .223/5.56mm cases. PMC cases don't like remmington primers at all...

Winchester-IMI are finicky as well.

Is there a more "universal" primer for reloading .223/5.56mm brass?

-Warlock
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I do not reload (yet but am looking forward to a time when I can afford the equipment), but in order to futher my knowledge on the matter, I bought the CCI/Speer reloading manual for rifles/pistols.  In their discussions on primers it states that there are quite often issues with .308 (7.62x51) & .223 (5.56x45) in semi-automatic military style rifles.  They suggest using primers specifically made for these calibers, in the case of .223/5.56 they suggest the use of their Speer No. 41 primer for 5.56mm or .30 Carbine calibers (or their Speer No. 34 primer for 7.62 NATO & 30.06).  This is in order to deal with sensitivity issues with firing pins in these types of weapons, also reducing the instance/chance of slam-fires as well.

Just what I've read, I have no experience in these matters, and soon hope to get into reloading around this Christmas break (when I'll have more $$ for these things).  I hope this info is of some use to you.  If not, oh well, I tried, perhaps sleepy or someone else knows a lot more about the issue.

Take this advice with a BLOCK of salt, not a grain.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I use Remington 7 1/2 Bench Rest primers and have very few problems.  Are you using brass that has a primer crimp?  I know PMC and (I think) some of the Winchester brass I have has primer crimps that need to be removed.  If I have anything that the primers don't want to go in on, I run them thru a Dillon crimp remover.  I use a Lee hand priming tool to put in primers...works nice and it's relatively fast.
Sleepy
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:33:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Forgot to add...
Yes, there are recomendations on 5.56 for specific primers.  I think CCI recomends their # 450 primer because it is harder and has a smaller chance of a slam fire.  I have not had a problem with anything ever slam firing.  I do not like CCI primers and have tried them in many loads.  Obviously, many others do like them, or they wouldn't be on the market.  I have had my best overall results with the Rem 7 1/2s in all my .223/5.56 loads.  This way I have one primer that works well in everything I shoot.
Sleepy717
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 6:23:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Have reloaded thousands on Dillon 650. RCBS dies.

Have had good luck with winchester and remington primers.
Bad luck with CCI.

All types of brass but mostly Lake City.

Make sure to remove all primer crimps for mil spec ammo. Even then occassionally you'll run into a tight pocket.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, here is what I found out.

The IMI-Win and PMC brass needed a quick pass with a deburing tool and they all "just worked" with my loader.

I have decided to lube, deprime, debur/clean pockets, and then tumble/clean my cases before loading.

CCI 400 primers went in just as well as Remmington 7 1/2 small rifle primers. I will test them out this week. (hopefully)

thanks to all those that reply'd with tips/info.

-Warlock
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#6]
here comes the hijack... Icebit, what did it cost to get set up in your Dillon 650?  What accessories do you reccomend getting with it to start out?  I've been  thinking...
Sleepy717
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Sleepy-

gunstop has them instock for like $450. (I think)

Talk to John (aka "Osama-bin-Walton") about them. I believe he has one setup as you first walk into their new shop.

Lee dies are $25. Dillon Carbide dies are $150 (last I checked) for the .223.

What ever you do, get the lee crimp die. You won't be happy with your ammo if you don't use it. (its crush-proof)

-Warlock
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Just a side note, do not bother with Carbide Rifle caliber dies.  A person still needs to lube the cases.  A good quality FL die is what you need, read that to be RCBS/Redding/Forster.
If need be Lee!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top