Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2003 9:41:59 AM EDT
I am considering adding my first .223 AR to my collections (already have a DPMS .308 AR) and I need a little direction.....

I have pretty much settled on a heavy barrel that will allow me to put a scope on top or use the peep sights (probably a flat top with removeable handle).  I would like a 20 to 24" barrel, stainless).  Regular stock.  Added sight block on front for a post site when using the peep site (can you use a spare gas block with picatinny rail on the front?).

First to I want to build or buy finished?  As a hobby a number of years ago I built 1911 style guns for use in IPSC & Pin shooting.  Built some muzzleloader and slicked up actions on single action rugers.  So I am not a novice to gun work, just never worked with the Semi-Auto
Chuckers in rifles before.

Next, who should I look at for parts? I have been leaning toward DPMS cause they are located in Becker and close.  Any thoughts there would be helpful?

Finally if I go the "build" route what is the $100 federal fee and who do you pay it to and when?

My ultimate goal is to end up with a rifle I can use for paper punching and occasional varmint hunting using a scope, then pop off the scope attach the handle and front site and set up for military matches they have locally.  So I need something that will meet both requirements.

Would love to hear your thoughts....  

Thanks... DonT
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey Don I would go with a 20' A3.   I built one this summer saved a couple hundred bucks doing it myself.
Get milspec parts.  Do you have a DPMS catalog?
Or I would suggest maybe getting a hold of a Shotgun news trying to locate, Kieslers has a good selection. Call dsspro he can get the stuff for you.

Dan
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#2]
AFAIK You don't have to pay FET if you build for yourself.

If you order from DPMS you could specify a rail on the gas block.

All depends.  I bought pre built upper because I don't have the tools to correctly and safely assembly one.  Plus I was concerned about how to adjust headspacing.

I bought a lower with most of the parts installed because I am lazy.  I slapped a grip, buffer tube and stock on it though.

DPMS does have a rep at the gunshow going on today and tommorrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top