Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2003 5:41:44 AM EDT
Hey All,

Does Minnesota consider a Springfield Armory M1A to be an "assault weapon" and therefore require a permit to purchase,etc.?

Also, what is the "official" source here in MN to ask about these kinds of things?

Thanks!
Brad
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I may be wrong, but I think it's just considered a "Long Gun" in MN and likely does not.  It's not an "EVIL PISTOL-GRIP SPRAYING HIGH-CAPACITY 12GUAGE STREETSWEEPING BABY SNIPER GUN" according the the Dictatorial DEMONRATS here (I think, I may be wrong), so I'd bet it doesn't require the Handgun/AW Permit to Purchase.  Anybody else know for sure about this?
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.   After some digging through the MN BCA web site, I think I found the definitive link. The BCA is required to determine and post the list of "assault" weapons.   The current list is at this link :

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/bca/Invest/Documents/Firearms%20List.PDF

...and appears to follow the 1994 AWB criteria pretty closely.   Since SA dropped the bayonet lug from the current M1A model, it doesn't qualify as an assault weapon under the criteria set forth in the BCA document.

Thanks!
-Brad
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#3]
It is a Target rifle  
nothing more  nothing less
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#4]
It may not be a 1994 AWB "assault rifle", but it's still evil.  It has to be.  It looks scary, it's loud, and has a military pedigree.  Therefore it just must be an evil rifle.

I'll go finish my espresso now.

Link Posted: 9/9/2003 4:18:14 AM EDT
[#5]
ChiefPilot,

What are you looking for. I am thinking of selling my M1A. I am sending you a message.

Eric
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top