Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2003 8:19:32 PM EDT
All,

Is there a current list of CCW trainers in the area, along with locations and prices?

Thanks!

-Warlock
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
All,

Is there a current list of CCW trainers in the area, along with locations and prices?

Thanks!

-Warlock

I could prolly generate a list...

But I won't. Defensive Edge is the training you want.  Current rate is about $110, 300 rounds of ammo and a clear head. It isn't a mill. You can fail the final. I don't know how.. but it is possible.

Link Posted: 8/31/2003 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have two words for you, Defensive Edge!www.defensive-edge.net/
Sully has by far the best demeanor for instruction I have witnessed.  The man has the credentials, more so then the the host of others.  He does this for a living not like a quit buck that some are doing.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#3]
There are trainers in the area that are charging more than Defensive Edge, less than Defensive Edge, and host in different locations...

However, I have been looking around for quite a while, and found out one particularly interesting thing.  NONE of them seemed to be as professionally structured as the Defensive Edge Handguns I course.  Watch out, there are many people in MN that are offering MN CCW courses that are NOT on the list of approved instructors for the new CCW in MN.

Just take the Defensive Edge course, and you'll not be disappointed.  For $110.00, It's well worth the money.  I don't know about the other AR15.com members' experiences with Defensive Edge, but my experience was top-notch, and with only a total of 8 students attending that day, there was a LOT of individual attention from Sully, and he helped me quickly break some habits I've learned through other (less experienced & qualified) instructors over time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#4]
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought that I'd be this first to post that there is a very short list among many of the members here.  So I will join the masses and add Defensive Edge.  I took Sully's Defensive Carbine class last July (with several other members here), and I think it is safe to say that we all loved it, learned alot and will be back for more.  Defensive Edge comes highly recommended in these parts.
Sleepy717
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Great...now all his classes are at Anoka Tech and are $150. (and I refuse to contribute to MN ED any more than I already do)

For that price, I'll go to MetroGunClub and do it at 6am (for 6hrs) and get it over with.

I tried getting a friend to go with and get the $99 deal, but, trying to get off work to do this is really tough.

So it goes.

-Warlock
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Sully,

I really appreciate the followup info. Again, I was trying to find a class and pragram that fit the budget as well as timeslot. (weekends work best...but, I am sure you want time off as well)

And when I called the Anoka reg. office, they were closed on friday, were unavailable on Monday, and completely useless on tuesday. In a nutshell, they made it sound like they were not really interested in folks signing up. (go figure...)

I guess they really didn't want my (or my friends) money.

Please keep us posted.

-Warlock

Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Just to let folks know.

I checked in on the program offered through www.mygun.com. Well, it is not what it appears (as one would think when listening over the radio)

The guy who holds the class does all the book work one night, then, YOU have to schedule time on a range with SOMEBODY ELSE to do the marksmanship.

So, the $99 fee for the classroom gets more expensive really quickly.

you have a range fee of $25 ($15 for the tester, plus $10 for you...at least)

You have the cert test and certificate from the range instructor. Another $25-$50.

All of a sudden, your $99 class for it jumps up to over $180 in the blink of an eye.

Which makes me think that it would be easier just to go with Sully (time and schedules permitting) or take the class from AF. (Which is $183 with tax)

Almost sounds like a scam...

-Warlock
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#9]
PLUS, add to that the cost of your AMMUNITION!  I used about $90.00 of ammunition for my training!  It was UNEXPECTED, but MAN!  IT WAS WORTH IT!  I highly suggest you CALL SULLY, or something to see what their new fall schedule is, because you'll MUCH prefer his class, and he does a great job with the legality issues as well!!!

However, the MASSIVE improvement of my handgun ACCURACY, and SPEED were well worth the $110 that I paid!

As FedGunner once told me:
"You could spend the $200.00 on hookers & booze & STILL not have as much fun!"  I didn't believe it at first, but I found out first hand that it was TONS of fun for me, and WELL worth the $$!

The Armored Fire course is pretty good from what two of my friends have told me, but they didn't spend NEARLY as much time on honing your shooting skills.  They just worked you enough to pass your qualification requirements (which isn't too hard).  Whereas Sully was able (at least in my particular class day) to give each student a really fair amount of 1 on 1 instruction for honing their skills!  I was able to keep my shots mostly within 3.5" with a few (6 or 7, IIRC) fliers that pushed the overall group out to a little under 6" at 25 yards!  With a double action .380 ACP mousegun!

I left that class actually feeling GOOD about myself...
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
PLUS, add to that the cost of your AMMUNITION!  I used about $90.00 of ammunition for my training!  It was UNEXPECTED, but MAN!  IT WAS WORTH IT!  I highly suggest you CALL SULLY, or something to see what their new fall schedule is, because you'll MUCH prefer his class, and he does a great job with the legality issues as well!!!

However, the MASSIVE improvement of my handgun ACCURACY, and SPEED were well worth the $110 that I paid!

As FedGunner once told me:
"You could spend the $200.00 on hookers & booze & STILL not have as much fun!"  I didn't believe it at first, but I found out first hand that it was TONS of fun for me, and WELL worth the $$!

The Armored Fire course is pretty good from what two of my friends have told me, but they didn't spend NEARLY as much time on honing your shooting skills.  They just worked you enough to pass your qualification requirements (which isn't too hard).  Whereas Sully was able (at least in my particular class day) to give each student a really fair amount of 1 on 1 instruction for honing their skills!  I was able to keep my shots mostly within 3.5" with a few (6 or 7, IIRC) fliers that pushed the overall group out to a little under 6" at 25 yards!  With a double action .380 ACP mousegun!

I left that class actually feeling GOOD about myself...

If I remember correctly the actual quote was "Ale and whores".... but who am I to quibble?

At the Defensive Edge class you actually learn something.

You have the class fee and your ammo costs. You can buy the ammo where ever you want, and not pay some inflated retail.

My great-grand father Mordachai once told me, "I'm too poor to buy cheap."

It took me until times were tight to wrap my head around the concept, but man! was he right.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want to get a permit, some of the other classes will work. If you want to learn usefull information, skills, and become a better shooter, then Sully's class is the only way to go. After telling some people at AF one day about my experience with Defensive Edge they were all dissapointed with the classes they took. There were several comments such as "we didn't learn that", or "I wish we would have covered that" and so on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top