Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2003 5:18:02 PM EDT
Hi all,

I'm going to be redoing my parent's roof in the coming weeks and I just wanted to ask some questions about the process.  My main concern is flashing on the chimney, mainly the counter flashing that goes over the step flashing. The chimney is made out of 16" block and not individual bricks.  Could I cut into the block, about 1/2", to put in the counter flashing and use some mortar to fill in the cut? Or will this weaken the block?  Also, I'm thinking of putting a ridge vent over the ridges instead of the turbine vent being used already. What type of ridge vent would you use?  There is a roll type with some time of matrix and some hard plastic stuff in 4ft. lengths? What would you do? Any tips on this whole process would be appreciated... :)  

Thanks,
Bert
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 10:10:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I would grab the AR's and some ammo  lots of ammo head out to your favorite gravel pit and see what kind of grueling tasks  you can perform, and keep the marksmanship intact,   Hire a contractor to worry about the roof, he should be bonded in case he messes anything up, that way  you can worry about more important matters like  when is the  price of ammo going to drop, and will the 1994 AWB sunset.

Make sense?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#2]
LMAO...That is the best advice I've heard yet, the first advice I've gotten, but none the less the best...lol  Alas, the sad news is that I own no AR's because of money, and cannot afford a contractor because of money.  Unemployment does that I guess. Insurance is picking up the material costs... woo hoo!  Anyway, does anyone have any other advice?
Thanks,
Bert

Hoping to check out that shoot in August, we'll see how the job search goes after this roof is done.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 9:38:50 PM EDT
[#3]
If insurance is picking up the material cost, they should pick up the labor cost of a contractor. Tell them that's what your lawyer said when you were playing golf.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top