Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2003 12:54:12 AM EDT
Family unit is traveling this area.  Any suggestions on what to see and what to do?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:39:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Man, I feel for ya. I don't know about the cities but there isn't much north of there.

I've been through Bemidji a number of times but honestly don't know of anything to do. There are lakes in the area and I think Itasca State park is where the Mississippi starts. Make a short list of interests and maybe I can help some. Seriously though, don't expect much.

You'll probably go through Nisswa. It's a tourist trap and they'll rob you blind. Chicks dig it cause they can shop but no real man enjoys it. The hardware store is the only bright spot. Stop and see. It's like Wall Drug. For some unknown reason it attracts everyone across the country. Lakes, resorts, & golf in the area.

Stop at Paul Bunyan Amusement center in Brainerd if you have young kids. Paul talks and can greet your kids if you let them know when you'll arrive. Lots of rides etc. Paul and Babe are the biggest in the world(?) and this is the last year they'll be together as the whole outfit has apparently been sold.

Brainerd has some road construction but this is at the intersection of 210 & 371 just off the bypass and easy to find.

Drive slow through Cass Lake, it's a res and maybe you can see plumbing for sale in someones yard.

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#2]
drive slow through cass lake and you might get shot by a drunk indi..  uh nevermind.  cass is a sketchy area but the lake is nice.  if you're into fishing there are a few tackle shops to hit.  maybe hit glens army navy in grand rapids.  it's not awesome and they've given me illegal firearms advice there but it's something to do.  i also like the antique shops.
enjoy the trees, there's not much else to look at.  have a picnic at one of the parks somewhere.

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks.  I appreciate all the thoughts of what to do and see.  Also what to watch our for.  Our interests are anything of local interest. We'll be fishing. Shopping isn't much of an interest. But we are interested in unusual hardware stores,  "must experience" restuarants or Paul Bunyon places.

How's the Sprint and ATT coverage?  If not good, I'll need to bring a couple of books.

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, here are some links I think you'll like.

www.littlefallsmn.com/page10.htm  Charles Lindbergh museum in little Falls

www.dma.state.mn.us/cpripley/SpecFeatures/muse1.htm  Camp Ripley military museum near Fort Ripley

*If you havn't had enough of hollywood you can go to the Judy Garland museum & check out her ruby shoes from The Wizard of Oz. It's after the res but before Bemidji www.visitgrandrapids.com/link_outs/judy_garland_museum.html

The best part of Bemidji is Daves Pizza:
Dave’s Pizza
422 W. 15th St.
Family dinner spot features the best in Italian cuisine. Dine in, take out or delivery available. Serving beer and wine.
Contact 218-751-3225

It's kind of a hang out so make reservations. Very good. Last I heard the goths hadn't moved to Bemidji but maybe they have now & can meet you at Dave's.

www.explorebrainerdlakes.com/Access/visitorinfo/justforkids/watertower.cfm
Brainerd's unique water tower. If I remember correctly the only other one is in Pipestone, MN. Can't go in it or anything but it is kind of neat.

Paul Bunyan (they also have helicopter rides)
www.paulbunyancenter.com/pbc/pbcframe.html

Ellingson car museum in Rogers. They have a 30 cyl Chrysler flathead radial engine(!) from a WW II Sherman(?)tank. It's 5 6 Cylinder engines in a semi star configuration. A must see.
www.ellingsoncarmuseum.com/

By the way, half the world is already in Nisswa. You may as well meet up with them at Carlson Hardware--across from the fire hall.

Nisswa also has a museum/historical thing that I've never been to, it's in the caboose & train station. And ungodly old authentic Norwegian buildings moved into a town of its own. Never been there either.

Lake Hubert (SE of Nisswa a few miles) has I believe the last open air railway station in existance.

I hope some of this is of interest to you
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:59:55 AM EDT
[#5]
As a cass county resident, I must add the the best part about rural Minnesota is....

It ain't Minneapolis, baby.

Spend your money, and GTFO [grin]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top