Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2003 5:20:12 AM EDT
Wondering if anyone here has sent anything to Kurt before? I got a gun I was thinking of sending to him to put a thread on brake on before I shoot it. I have heard horror stories about the factory brake flying off. Being that my luck is not very good, and considering I have not even shot the thing yet, I figured it would be a good time to get that taken care of. Looking at the a2 tac brake. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks fellas, and how about the wild upsetting colorodo? Kicks ass.
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 6:11:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Diablo,

I haven't used him yet, but have talked to a few guys who have.  He's got nothing but very positive feedback from those guys.  I'll be using him shortly for work on my M17.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 4/23/2003 6:51:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I've known Kurt for years,way before he bacame so popular with AR15.com..He is an Excellent machineist,and the Ideas keep pouring in his head..Hell,he comes up with more ideas,then starts on it,and wha-la,a new Hot item..He completely redid a AK for me,that I was about to toss in the garbage,I Sold it for $800 after he did his magic..A trully excellent guy to do business with,I used to be able to go over to his Shop/Home and get thing s done quickly,Now,he is 1 very busy guy.. You won't be sorry.  tom in FL.
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 7:37:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys for the info. Same here. Everything I hear is positive. I have not actually shipped out a gun before and don't know how it works. Do you guys really trust the delivery services with you expensive rifles? I am kind of leary of sending my new gun cross country from Mn to Fl. What are some precautions to take, other than really good packing? I know from experience. I have worked at ups before for about 3 years.
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 10:10:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Couldn't you just send him the barrel?
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, when he emailed me back it said to keep the bolt/carrier and the charge handle and ship the rest out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in the shipping buisness, so I know how stuff gets treated "in transit".  When I ship a gun, I build a crate of 1x4 and plywood to put the rifle in.  I pad it with a moving pad and foam packing beads.  Even with this set up, UPS has managed to crush one end of the crate on a rifle sent to Vais for a muzzel brake.  I think the extra weight of the packing is worth it because the up charge for the weight is pretty minimal when you consider the value of your rifle.  I also insure them for FULL value (and a little extra).
Sleepy717
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I had Kurt permanently attatch a Phantom to my 14.5" barrel and was very pleased with the results.  I have seen those done by others and did not look as professional as Kurt's.  The only down side is that because he is so good, he has become very popular and sometimes there is a wait, but it will probably be worth it.

Sleepy gives great advice on shipping.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I had him install one of his A3 brakes on my upper. Just sent him the upper minus the bolt & carrier as someone mentioned above. It took 2-3 months to get back if I remember correctly.

While I like the look of the brake, it was not without problems. I noticed that the upper was way off zero. I hadn't fired the gun much prior to having the brake put on, and the problem I was having suggested to me that the barrel might be overtorqued.. an issue with a lot of Bushys like mine..

So I called Bushmaster and they had me send it in. Turns out, the brake was slightly off. The bullet wasn't actually striking the brake, but it was off enough to cause the gasses to push the round to one side as it was going out. They fixed the problem and refinished the whole barrel very nicely.

The upper shoots great now.. Bushy charged me $35 for the fix, since it really wasn't their problem. My fault for not recognizing that the brake was the problem..

Overall, Kurt has an awesome reputation.. pr'ly just having a bad day when my brake was put on.

If you like the look of his brakes, you may want to just buy one from him directly and have it installed locally. You'd get it back a lot faster that way..
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:46:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I decided to try someone locally. Has a good reputation. Territorial Gunsmiths in Hopkins. I was impressed with the knowledge he had and confident he would do a good job. Works out of his garage, with a complete machine shop. Saw alot of examples that I was impressed with. I'll let you know how it comes out.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Territorial Gunsmiths did a bit of work on my forward mount for my Aimpoint. I was very happy both with quality and price. (He was a bit befuddled with the scope mounted so low.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top