Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2021 4:09:13 PM EDT
The wife and I are looking to buy some land and move back home to Ky. We've looked on landwatch and various other sites, but we were curious to see if we have any Afrcommers from the area that could suggest other places to look for land. Possibly a local real estate agent they'd recommend, a  regional paper, or possibly something else. We're looking for something smaller (2-5 acres). This will be the first land purchase I've made and I'm really looking forward to getting back out in the country. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not familiar with Allen County, I'm in Madison County but welcome back and good luck!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I am only looking for land via websites (realtor, zillow, milestone realty, etc) but a good friend of mine recommended loopnet also.

I search everyday, and sometimes I find some pretty good deals outside of what kind of mileage I want to drive to reach them, but my best results are usually setting a 50 mile radius on google maps and picking the towns that fall inside there.

I'll typically look for a minimum of 2ac, and anything larger than that will show up.

Allen county is Scottsville, and one of my friend's dad used to be county judge executive there.

It is a nice area and you can probably find some 2-5 acre listings pretty easily.

It seems like there are more available lately, and they're reasonably priced most of the time.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am only looking for land via websites (realtor, zillow, milestone realty, etc) but a good friend of mine recommended loopnet also.
View Quote
I haven't heard of that one. I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#4]
One site that doesn't advertise itself very well is LBAR  https://www.lbar.com/  I'm pretty sure it started out as a Lexington area realtors association but it covers the whole state now.  

LBar show several 3 to 5 acre properties starting around $25,000.  There are also smaller lots that appear to have frontage on Barren River Lake.  Not sure what the regulations would be for building near the lake or if you could have a private dock.  
5 acres for $25,000
https://www.homesnap.com/KY/Scottsville/0-Napier-Road/property/18044623

The most interesting piece of property I saw was this 6.8 acres with a pond and 3 bay metal building for $60,000.
https://www.homesnap.com/KY/Scottsville/100-Howell-Wheat-Road

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Another tidbit of advice I can offer is to check the listings against delinquent tax rolls maintained by the state.

They'll be in a spreadsheet form, and tabbed by county.

I've seen some smaller counties that show a lot of delinquent properties and it may be worth contacting the Sheriff's office to see what the process entails for purchasing or bidding.

I have seen a small increase in available land purchases lately, and they're usually for $2k-3k per acre and typically only last about a week.

One listing I wanted to go visit tomorrow already has an offer on it and it would've been great for my wife and me.

I'm being pretty patient too, as this process has been about 2 years in the making.

Finding 2-5 acres is much easier lately.  Hopefully you won't have to spend a great deal of time and resources getting there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top