Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2020 8:50:50 PM EDT
They better streamline that shit or I’ll be in swires camp.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes. That is the way it has been done for many years, 30 days in odd numbered years and 60 days in even-numbered years.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They better streamline that shit or I’ll be in swires camp.
View Quote

This has EVERY indication of being the most streamlined 30 day session in history...
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:45:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This has EVERY indication of being the most streamlined 30 day session in history...
View Quote

It does? Have you seen the calendar for this year's session? They start on Jan. 5, then meet on the 6th, 7th and 8th. Then they go home and don't come back until Feb.2. That's some streamlining.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:00:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It does? Have you seen the calendar for this year's session? They start on Jan. 5, then meet on the 6th, 7th and 8th. Then they go home and don't come back until Feb.2. That's some streamlining.
View Quote

Just because the calendar is similar to the odd numbered years of the past doesn't mean that leadership in both chambers isn't streamlining the approach to legislation with clear defined priorities.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:11:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just because the calendar is similar to the odd numbered years of the past doesn't mean that leadership in both chambers isn't streamlining the approach to legislation with clear defined priorities.
View Quote

That's the job of leadership, isn't it?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@softpoint -- the GA uses a dry erase board for a calendar... easy to change.  Tomorrow will set the tone for next M,T&W.  

I hope everyone on here has already called the switchboard today and left a message (or emailed) their Rep and House leadership the following message:

vote yes on House Floor Amendments 1, 2, and 3 to SB1

1-800-372-7181 ---- takes a whole 2 minutes to do this.

SB1 will be voted on by the House tomorrow morning.  Those three amendments by Savannah Maddox are crucial to close any loopholes to restraining executive power.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#7]
House floor amendment 5, by Jason Nemes, makes any violation to an emergency order subject to a $1000 fine and one year in jail. According to the  bill passed by the Senate, the maximum penalty is $100 fine for the first offense and $250 for any more. We don't need that.

Stand by for the veto and veto override or will Andy just concede the override and let it become law without a signature? Should be fun to see.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:11:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Stand by for the veto and veto override or will Andy just concede the override and let it become law without a signature?
View Quote

He will veto it for sure, probably while crying during his daily press conference claiming the mean Republicans are trying to kill people while he is just trying to keep them safe.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:15:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you know what the Senate Floor Amendment is supposed to do?  I keeps in a section that says law enforcement will enforce things.  Is that requiring law enforcement to enforce the Governors orders such as shutting down businesses?  Or is that stating that only law enforcement or those authorized can enforce the orders and the Governor can't just grant that authority other agencies?
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:25:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do you know what the Senate Floor Amendment is supposed to do?  I keeps in a section that says law enforcement will enforce things.  Is that requiring law enforcement to enforce the Governors orders such as shutting down businesses?  Or is that stating that only law enforcement or those authorized can enforce the orders and the Governor can't just grant that authority other agencies?
View Quote

@swire
@softpoint

The House Floor Amendments are what matter in 10 hrs.  We're not getting HB15 (BR130).  We're not getting HB217 (HB15 modified to SB1 but better).  We're getting SB1 with house floor amendments... it's the best that Maddox and her cosponsors could do at this point.  

What's the viable alternative in 10 hrs?

ETA:  HFA 1,2,3 are solid.  4 is "OK" and 5 is trash... Somewhat but not totally surprise at Rep Nemes on this one

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:43:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@swire
@softpoint

The House Floor Amendments are what matter in 10 hrs.  We're not getting HB15 (BR130).  We're not getting HB217 (HB15 modified to SB1 but better).  We're getting SB1 with house floor amendments... it's the best that Maddox and her cosponsors could do at this point.  

ETA:  HFA 1,2,3 are solid.  4 is "OK" and 5 is trash... Somewhat but not totally surprise at Rep Nemes on this one

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@swire
@softpoint

The way 4 reads it sounds like it would over ride Savannah's 15 days and change it back to 30.  Not unacceptable but not what I would like to see.  Hopefully amendments 1, 2 and 3 get heard and passed then the others fail.  The House has shot itself in the foot numerous times, including last year when they wouldn't even give Savannah's amendment a chance to be presented and then lied about it.  

I'm ok with SB 1 with Savannah's amendments but it is disappointing that the Senate didn't do a better job.  They knew exactly what Savannah would be pushing for and why but still held back.  The Senate would need to vote on adopting all her changes.  That concerns me.  They had 9 months to prepare for this.  All the details should have been hammered out before the session and a great bill should have been a slam dunk right out of the gate.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The way 4 reads it sounds like it would over ride Savannah's 15 days and change it back to 30.  Not unacceptable but not what I would like to see.  Hopefully amendments 1, 2 and 3 get heard and passed then the others fail.  The House has shot itself in the foot numerous times, including last year when they wouldn't even give Savannah's amendment a chance to be presented and then lied about it.  

I'm ok with SB 1 with Savannah's amendments but it is disappointing that the Senate didn't do a better job.  They knew exactly what Savannah would be pushing for and why but still held back.  The Senate would need to vote on adopting all her changes.  That concerns me.  They had 9 months to prepare for this.  All the details should have been hammered out before the session and a great bill should have been a slam dunk right out of the gate.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@swire
@softpoint

@swire -- Nemes pulled HFA5.   The actual text of the HFA4 does not include "30 days"... only inserts the following:

On page 4, line 13, delete the second use of the word "or"; and
On page 4, after line 14, insert the following:
"e. Local governments; or"; and
On page 9, after line 9, insert the following:
"(5) Nothing in this section shall be construed to allow any governmental entity to impose
restrictions on the right of the people to:
(a) Peaceably assemble; or
(b) Worship, worship in person, or to act or refuse to act in a manner motivated by a
sincerely held religious belief.".

I think the only reason why the title of 4 even mentions 30 days is due to the fact that the current bill has the wording... am I making sense?  Pretty sure Tipton's intent is to simply add "local governments" to the list... whether its 30, 15 or xxx days
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@swire -- Nemes pulled HFA5.   The actual text of the HFA4 does not include "30 days"... only inserts the following:

"(5) Nothing in this section shall be construed to allow any governmental entity to impose
(b) Worship, worship in person, or to act or refuse to act in a manner motivated by a

I think the only reason why the title of 4 even mentions 30 days is due to the fact that the current bill has the wording... am I making sense?  Pretty sure Tipton's intent is to simply add "local governments" to the list... whether its 30, 15 or xxx days
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@swire
@softpoint

That makes sense.  Thanks for the update.  Usually I'm all over reading the legislation and staying on top of who is pushing the amendments and what they would do but I've got too many things going on this year to do that.  

@softpoint  - Since you haven't outlined any gun bills this year I'm going to assume that the Republican leadership has no appetite for moving anything this year?  With it being a short session, the covid mess, and trying to reign in the Governor I wouldn't expect them to have much time to address anything.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That makes sense.  Thanks for the update.  Usually I'm all over reading the legislation and staying on top of who is pushing the amendments and what they would do but I've got too many things going on this year to do that.  

@softpoint  - Since you haven't outlined any gun bills this year I'm going to assume that the Republican leadership has no appetite for moving anything this year?  With it being a short session, the covid mess, and trying to reign in the Governor I wouldn't expect them to have much time to address anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@swire
@softpoint

@swire -- you may want to read up tonight/tomorrow when you get a chance.  BIG things happening as I type this in senate chambers and will be in house in a few mins.

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:51:06 PM EDT
[#15]
This is copied from these KC3 Facebook page:

There are currently four anti-gun bills for the 2021 General Assembly to consider. We have seen all of these bills before, in one form or another, in years past. The General Assembly has never shown much interest in any of them in the past. None of them has ever been given a committee hearing and KC3 doesn't expect that to happen this year but we will continue to watch them and express our opposition to them to members of the General Assembly. The four bills are listed here:

HB 70 is a red flag bill. Here is a summary: Create new sections of KRS Chapter 237 to define terms; grant authority to District Court to issue search warrants to law enforcement officers to seize firearms from persons believed to be dangerous due to untreated mental illness or documented evidence of a propensity for violence; grant authority to law enforcement officers to seize firearms from persons believed to be dangerous without a warrant; establish protocols for court hearing to determine dangerousness of person and authority to prohibit person from possessing firearms; establish protocol for petitions to prove person is no longer dangerous; establish protocol for disposition of seized firearms after specified time; require the Administrative Office of the Courts to collect and publish statistics on gun seizures; establish penalties; amend KRS 16.220 to conform.
The entire bill can be seen here: https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/recorddocuments/bill/21RS/HB70/bill.pdf

HB 80 is a gun storage bill. Here is a summary: Create a new section of KRS Chapter 527 to make it a crime to unlawfully store a firearm; establish elements of the crime for recklessly allowing access to an unsecured firearm by a minor; establish the crime as a Class B misdemeanor unless a physical injury or death results, in which case it is a Class A misdemeanor; establish the short title of "Baby Dre Gun Safety Act."

The entire bill can be seen here: https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/recorddocuments/bill/21RS/HB80/bill.pdf

HB 83 is an all purpose, omnibus gun ban. It wants to ban, regulate or register everything to do with guns. Here is a summary: Create new sections of KRS Chapter 237 to specify definitions for "assault weapons," "large-capacity ammunition-feeding devices," and "ammunition sellers"; require background checks for private firearms sales; require reporting to law enforcement of firearm and ammunition thefts and losses; require the safe storage of firearms; amend KRS 395.250 to require an estate's inventory to list each firearm; amend KRS 403.735 to require judges, when issuing an order of protection, to consider whether a person against whom the order is entered should be prohibited from possessing an firearm; amend KRS 504.030 to require judges in criminal cases where a person is found not guilty by reason of insanity to demand the surrender of the defendant's firearms; amend KRS 237.104 to conform; amend KRS 506.080 to specify that the offense of facilitation includes assistance in providing firearms; amend KRS 508.020 to include physical injury to a minor by virtue of the intentional discharge of a firearm within the offense of assault in the second degree; create a new section of KRS Chapter 527 to create the offense of criminal purchase or disposal of a weapon; amend KRS 527.040 to require that the sentence for a felon in possession of a firearm be served subsequent to any other felony sentence; amend KRS 527.070 to include post secondary education facilities within the existing ban on firearms in schools; amend KRS 532.030 to require the judge pronouncing a defendant guilty but mentally ill to demand the surrender of the person's firearms; create a new section of KRS Chapter 237 to require the State Police to promulgate administrative regulations relating to the licensing of persons to possess handguns and assault weapons, the registration of handguns and assault weapons, and the logging of firearms and ammunition sales effective January 1, 2022; amend KRS 532.025 to conform; amend KRS 237.115 to conform; repeal KRS 65.870; EMERGENCY; some provisions EFFECTIVE January 1, 2022.

The entire bill can be seen here: https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/recorddocuments/bill/21RS/HB83/bill.pdf

SB 46 is the Senate version of HB 80. You can see it here: https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/recorddocuments/bill/21RS/SB46/bill.pdf

All of these bills are sponsored by democrat legislators from Jefferson or Fayette Counties. None of the bills has been assigned to a committee yet. We will let you know when those assignments are made and any other developments concerning these bills or any other matters of interest to Ky. gun owners.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He will veto it for sure, probably while crying during his daily press conference claiming the mean Republicans are trying to kill people while he is just trying to keep them safe.  
View Quote

The wait is over on this question. Little Andy vetoed SB 1 today.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, he vetoed all 3 reform bills.  SB 1, HB 1, and SB 2.   I expected it considering he has made statements to the press a couple times that only he knows best what the state needs.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Just a quick note to say thanks to the thread contributors for the updates/details.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top