Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2020 12:45:22 PM EDT
My dad is getting older and so are my boys so we are going to try and do a simple Ohio River Canoe trip next summer.  I've found a few websites with information about the river but most focus on Louisville area.

Does anyone have any recommendations in websites or personal advice on a multi day Canoe trip with good put in/ take out and camping locations.

We aren't looking to set any speed records, just a nice, memorable trip with grandad before we can't do this again.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#1]

There’s no way you’d get me out on the Ohio in a canoe.

Link Posted: 12/5/2020 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#2]
FPNI, I wouldn't put a canoe on the Ohio. Book a trip down on the South Fork of the Cumberland. The outfitter will pick you up at your final destination and drive you and your gear to wherever you want to start. You basically canoe back to your starting point, leave your canoe and leave.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Also check out Green River

Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Dangerous?  Traffic? Dirty?

Two people say its a bad idea, I'd like to know why.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Yes

Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

Yes to all of the above.

Now 4 people say it’s a bad idea.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the input.  I will look at the other rivers recommended here
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 6:01:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Red river gorge has a pretty good put in pick up thing. The one we did was about 4 hours. Also just outside of Cincinnati is the little Miami. Did it once, I think it’s shorter.

No way I’d Conroe in the dirty ohio.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 10:59:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

Yes. Yes. And yes.
Too many barges. I rowed on the river in Louisville. Whenever a barge passed it was interesting to say the least. Not a chance in hell I’d take a canoe on it. Look at the green river or red river gorge.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#11]
As a person who was raised on the Ohio, you can canoe it as long as all those involved are competent in a canoe and the equipment is in good shape. I have had canoes and kayaks out there many times over the years.
I can also say you guys have no idea how dirty it used to be in the 70's. It is now as clean as spring water in comparison.

With that said, I would suggest you go somewhere more serene for a canoe trip. Camping along the way on the Ohio seems problematic. I cannot think of any public areas that allow camping from Ashland to Cincinnati except for possibly a few islands.

If you are in central/eastern KY, I suggest you plan a canoe weekend on Greenbo Lake. It is an idle only lake and has a nice unimproved camping area at the head of Pruitt creek. I camped there many times in the past.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 8:09:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the replies.  We will check greenbo lake and some other rivers/outfitters.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, don't do that.

I do a lot a of kayaking and canoeing. If you let me know where you're located, I can recommend some spots.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Vicinity of E-town.  Im trying to find at least an overnight trip

Ohio River is now off the table btw.  Thanks for any other recommendations.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:30:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Check out the green River

Green and Hart county area

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:58:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My dad is getting older and so are my boys so we are going to try and do a simple Ohio River Canoe trip next summer.  I've found a few websites with information about the river but most focus on Louisville area.

Does anyone have any recommendations in websites or personal advice on a multi day Canoe trip with good put in/ take out and camping locations.

We aren't looking to set any speed records, just a nice, memorable trip with grandad before we can't do this again.
View Quote

Better be a damn big canoe.
Ever seen the wake/wash from a big string of barges going upriver?

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Vicinity of E-town.  Im trying to find at least an overnight trip

Ohio River is now off the table btw.  Thanks for any other recommendations.
View Quote

The Green River from Campbellsville through Brownsville is a great place for paddlers.  Other than where it passes though Mammoth Cave National Park, it's all private property though.  Check Munfordsville to Dennison Ferry- that's probably about 12 river miles, which is a good day of paddling, without working too hard.  Dennison Ferry to Green River Ferry is about 8 miles.  And Green River Ferry to Houchins Ferry is 12 miles.  You can camp anywhere inside of the National Park- but check their website for requirements- you may have to get a permit.

We've canoed from Dennison to Houchins many times.  It's great river, and the fishing isn't bad either.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Better be a damn big canoe.
Ever seen the wake/wash from a big string of barges going upriver?

View Quote

I also agree, no way I'd put a canoe on the Ohio.  Fifthly water, lots of waves, and tons of crap floating in it.  Not to mention there are several barges that have sunk on the Ohio River close to Louisville, Pretty sure a canoe would sink too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Ohio isn't bad if you stay along the shoreline albeit slow. Crossing to Indiana is a lot like crossing a busy 2 lane road. However the paddling is boring and uneventful unless you like counting used condoms and tampon waste.
If you can do a 2 day adventure, what's on my list is the Salt River which feeds into the Ohio. Starts in Taylorsville Lake and feeds from Floyds Fork if you want to get dropped off in East Louisville.
If it's a one day thing, I'd recommend Cave Country Canoes in Indiana. Very scenic, slow, and enjoyable.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:20:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ohio isn't bad if you stay along the shoreline albeit slow. Crossing to Indiana is a lot like crossing a busy 2 lane road. However the paddling is boring and uneventful unless you like counting used condoms and tampon waste.
If you can do a 2 day adventure, what's on my list is the Salt River which feeds into the Ohio. Starts in Taylorsville Lake and feeds from Floyds Fork if you want to get dropped off in East Louisville.
If it's a one day thing, I'd recommend Cave Country Canoes in Indiana. Very scenic, slow, and enjoyable.
View Quote

Doing work on a barge on the Tennessee near Paducah, lost count of the spikes and tiny pillbottles, floating among the driftwood and other flotsam.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:57:14 PM EDT
[#21]
we've made a 2 day of the lower and middle red river...but you WILL be dragging in the summer.

Check out the Little Miami in Ohio.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Keep em coming?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top