Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2015 2:18:44 PM EDT
So I know this comes up about every year but I just want to freshen up on it.  What areas, if any, is concealed carry not allowed at he state fair?
I going this weekend and may end up at the theme park next to the state fair or one of its concerts. Is there anywhere where it's illegal? If there are signs

Should I follow them?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I have carried in every corner of this place all week and am doing so right now.  No signs noticed anywhere, I believe they took them all down a year or two ago.  No ducks given if they were up.  Fair board no longer has the right to ban guns AFAIK.  Have even seen an OC hi point (with no mag).

Register to win a year membership at the KCR booth.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have carried in every corner of this place all week and am doing so right now.  No signs noticed anywhere, I believe they took them all down a year or two ago.  No ducks given if they were up.  Fair board no longer has the right to ban guns AFAIK.  Have even seen an OC hi point (with no mag).

Register to win a year membership at the KCR booth.
View Quote

You are almost right. The Fair Board never had the authority to ban guns. They just did it anyway. (government agencies don't have "rights", the people do. Governments have "powers" or "authorities"). They had passed an Administrative Regulation prohibiting guns. That Administrative Regulation was illegal the day it was passed. Members of  KC3 complained to state legislators and the President of the Fair Board was "invited" to Frankfort to attend a meeting of the Sub Committee on Administrative Regulations. I was also invited to appear at that meeting. I got the impression that my presence was more voluntary than Mr. Ripitoe's. The Committee told Mr. Ripitoe that only they had the authority to regulate guns on public property in Ky. and he should change the policy. If he didn't change it, they would change it for him and he would not like the results. Soon after this meeting the Administrative Regulation was repealed and all the signs were ordered to be taken down.

Now Ky. Kingdom is a different story. They are a private company and can do as they please.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Does anyone offhand know Kentucky Kingdom's stance on their concealed carry policy?   I believe last year I carried there because I didn't see any signs.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#4]
LMPD searches bags, no wands or WTMD, no pat down, nobody stopped me on my way in.

ETA I tried, I can't make the pic smaller or not sideways

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:06:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Just got back from there.
Carried, no issues.
I probably printed getting beers out of the trunk but no one noticed.

Eta: got two tickets for $5ea includes parking if anyone needs em. Shoot me a PM, I live off Preston so it's close.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:54:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just got back from there.
Carried, no issues.
I probably printed getting beers out of the trunk but no one noticed.

Eta: got two tickets for $5ea includes parking if anyone needs em. Shoot me a PM, I live off Preston so it's close.
View Quote

Why do you think printing might be a problem?  You can open carry there.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Thought I read that you couldn't carry there but I'm obviously wrong.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I carried with no problem. Only time they have signs up now are for gun shows.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:23:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Now Ky. Kingdom is a different story. They are a private company and can do as they please.[/span][/span]
View Quote

Are there signs at KY Kingdom?

At KY Kingdom, since it is private property,  I would suppose concealed carry would be fine whether or not there were signs, assuming a person carries well?

Then again, if there are signs, especially on private property, the signs just announce to decent people to not go there.

Edit : Sign for KY Kingdom.    Means I will never go.   I do NOT  needlessly give money to organizations which do not respect the most basic of all human rights, self protection.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:41:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I carried with no problem. Only time they have signs up now are for gun shows.
View Quote

No, that is not true. Anytime that public property is leased to a private party that private party can treat the property as if it was their own. They can ban guns, they can ban left handed people if they want to. Here is an excerpt from the "concealed carry law", KRS 237.110 (17):

The owner, business or commercial lessee, or manager of a private business enterprise, day-care center as defined in KRS 199.894 or certified or licensed family child-care home as defined in KRS 199.8982, or a health-care facility licensed under KRS Chapter 216B, except facilities renting or leasing housing, may prohibit persons holding concealed deadly weapon licenses from carrying concealed deadly weapons on the premises and may prohibit employees, not authorized by the employer, holding concealed deadly weapons licenses from carrying concealed deadly weapons on the property of the employer. The underlining is mine.

The State Fair Board cannot ban guns, because they are a state agency. Private businesses can ban guns, even when they lease public property. If a college leases part of the State Fairgrounds, guns are automatically banned, because guns are banned on college property. If a K-12 school uses the State Fairgrounds, it is a felony to carry a gun in the part they have leased, just like it would be on school grounds, but not in other parts of the Fairgrounds. The only time guns cannot be banned is when the property is used by the Fair Board themselves or another public agency uses it or there is no lease involved or no business enterprise involved, like a free event. When a gun show is held at the State Fairgrounds the promoter, RK Shows or Ron Dickson, lease the space and they can use it as if they owned it. By the way, neither of these promoters bans guns. They just require that any guns must be unloaded and zip tied. Several other lessees that are not gun shows, do post signs on property they lease from the Fair Board for their events.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:26:39 AM EDT
[#11]
KRS 237.110 (17) ends with the following.

Carrying of a concealed weapon, or ammunition, or both in a location specified in this subsection by a license holder shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial from the premises or removal from the premises, and, if an employee of an employer, disciplinary measures by the employer.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Carrying of a concealed weapon, or ammunition, or both in a location specified in this subsection by a license holder shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial from the premises or removal from the premises, and, if an employee of an employer, disciplinary measures by the employer.
View Quote

That is correct. It is not a crime to carry past these kinds of signs, unless it has been made a crime by another statute. KRS 527.070 has done that " in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area,athletic field, or any other property owned, used, or operated by any board of education, school, board of trustees, regents, or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution". In that case it is a felony.  Any other situation all they can do is ask you to leave or deny you entry.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:56:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That is correct. It is not a crime to carry past these kinds of signs, unless it has been made a crime by another statute. KRS 527.070 has done that " in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area,athletic field, or any other property owned, used, or operated by any board of education, school, board of trustees, regents, or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution". In that case it is a felony.  Any other situation all they can do is ask you to leave or deny you entry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well thank goodness KRS 237.110 (17) is correct, as that is a cut and paste.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top