Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2015 9:11:54 PM EDT
Went out for Vietnamese in Louisville.    Bardstown Road is a popular distination for dinning.   So, we headed to Mimosa.  

From the time we were seated through our attempts to order,  I was insulted... by a black, gay version of Sideshow Bob from the Simpsons.    

Visualize that...  Sideshow Bob with the wild hair, arrogant attitude,  and flaming  like an outrageous drama queen.    Now, spray paint the character in your mind a deep, dark brown.  

Bob did manage to get us our drinks in between a break in insults.    I tried to ask questions about recommended menu items.   That too ended in insults.   In front of him, I pulled out a $5 bill for the drinks we did not touch, got up, and walked out rapidly as the manager asked what was wrong.  

We headed to a little dive called Vietnam Kitchen.   They had quite the wait for a tiny whole in the wall place.   I understand why they had a wait.    Long story short, the service was good and the food was amazing.     In addition, it was very inexpensive.

The bill only came to  $52.73  ,  and I rounded it up to  $100.00 even.    

In the end, it was a ... happy ending.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You should give Joy Luck a try. It's asian, delicious,  and Arfcom affiliated. I have it on good authority that the bejing duck is not to be missed.
View Quote

Had a very bad experience there.   Just want to for get it.   But, hey, thanks for the reminder.    
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Cafe Mimosa.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#4]
4-10 Rant

Not enough fuck etc.

I can't believe you let him, her punk you out like that.....
You should have poured the drinks on him, her lap .....  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cafe Mimosa.
View Quote

That is good to know.   I suppose I did not miss anything.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You should give Joy Luck a try. It's asian, delicious,  and Arfcom affiliated. I have it on good authority that the bejing duck is not to be missed.
View Quote

+1

The wife and I enjoyed our dinner there a few months back.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Had a very bad experience there.   Just want to for get it.   But, hey, thanks for the reminder.    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you didn't like my food and/or service???

Please elaborate so I can better the business.

If it wasn't restaurant's fault, please note.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not the restaurant's fault.      It is the experience I previously mentioned in private IMs with you.     Given that I can't resolve the situation in my head,  I avoid that general area and the other businesses, as much as possible.  

The situation was embarrassing and I let it go without causing a scene.     Now, I have no resolution and am always reminded of that.

As I previously mentioned, it is nothing against you.    I don't like anything that reminds me of that situation.     It has greatly limited my interactions with other arfcommers and to some extent my posting  on this site .    

Nice guys finish last.    A-holes don't let others get to them.     I need some more  vitamin A.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Synopsis:

Cafe Mimosa is lousy.

Vietnam Kitchen is incredible.    Everyone should check it out.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not the restaurant's fault.      It is the experience I previously mentioned in private IMs with you.     Given that I can't resolve the situation in my head,  I avoid that general area and the other businesses, as much as possible.  

The situation was embarrassing and I let it go with causing a scene.     Now, I have no resolution and am always reminded of that.

As I previously mentioned, it is nothing against you.    I don't like anything that reminds me of that situation.     It has greatly limited my interactions with other arfcommers and to some extent my posting  on this site .    

Nice guys finish last.    A-holes don't let others get to them.     I need some more  vitamin A.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The situation was embarrassing and I let it go with causing a scene.     Now, I have no resolution and am always reminded of that.

I miss all the memory making meet ups
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Since the subject is restaurants, anyone been to Queen of Sheba for Ethiopian? We are doing a world tour in food and wondered if anyone has tried this place out and has any recommendations.
View Quote

My wife and I love it. We used to eat there once a month, we only slowed down because our time and budget didn't allow for it. Its one of our favorites.

Very good food, decent prices, and friendly staff. They are busy because they are popular and good, but not so busy that you cannot get a table.

Food is served traditionally, so your orders come out on one big tray with a big pile of bread and everyone digs in. The spicy stuff is hot enough that if you don't do spicy you need to be careful. If you do eat spicy stuff try it, there is loads of flavor to go with the heat. Even the basic sides like lentils are delicious.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:12:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I like dragon kings daughter for (I think) Asian/Latin fusion.
Havana Rumba is a go to for good Cuban food. Plenty of room too.
I was very impressed with Bonefish.. Food was very fresh, and worth every penny.
Mussel and burger bar is on point. Even the waiting room has refreshments. Only place I know you can get frois gra'  (sp) on a burger. Mussels are amazing too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm a big big fan of Basa. French technique, vietnamese ingredients. HIghly reccommend the Catfish Clay pot

Cafe Classico has the louisvilles best coffee and small eats.

Cafe 1860's steak tare-tare has is laced with crack...I cannot get enough of it.

Against the Grain has amazing craft beers. Highly sought after by national beer nerds.

Mussel Burger and Bar is amazing too.

Hammerheads, fantastic burgers. They are ALWAYS busy. Doors open at 5pm. But there is always a line. Get their early

And I may be partial to The Joy Luck for asian food

SIlver Dollar for good whiskey and INCREDIBLE selection
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Since the subject is restaurants, anyone been to Queen of Sheba for Ethiopian? We are doing a world tour in food and wondered if anyone has tried this place out and has any recommendations.
View Quote

Great stuff.    It is very non-traditional in that it is nothing like a traditional  American meal.       I am sure it would trip some people out completely.    Be open minded and  enjoy yourself and the food.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm a big big fan of Basa. French technique, vietnamese ingredients. HIghly reccommend the Catfish Clay pot

Cafe 1860's steak tare-tare has is laced with crack...I cannot get enough of it.

Against the Grain has amazing craft beers. Highly sought after by national beer nerds.

Hammerheads, fantastic burgers. They are ALWAYS busy. Doors open at 5pm. But there is always a line. Get their early

View Quote

If you are looking for good sushi, I have found that it doesn't really exist in Kentucky. No one does it right. Closes Sushi restaurant that meets my expectations is Hiko a Mon on 4th Street. Biggest issue I see with sushi here in Kentucky is that the plate is FAR too Americanized. Quality rice is no where near it should be, lacking in vinegar and quality. As well...traditional sushi does not have ceddar cheese!

Rant over...
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:35:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My wife and I love it. We used to eat there once a month, we only slowed down because our time and budget didn't allow for it. Its one of our favorites.

Very good food, decent prices, and friendly staff. They are busy because they are popular and good, but not so busy that you cannot get a table.

Food is served traditionally, so your orders come out on one big tray with a big pile of bread and everyone digs in. The spicy stuff is hot enough that if you don't do spicy you need to be careful. If you do eat spicy stuff try it, there is loads of flavor to go with the heat. Even the basic sides like lentils are delicious.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We just drove by there the other night on our way to another place to meet up with family. Having lived in Ethiopia many years ago I wondered if I should drag the wife over there some night and see if the food was as I vaguely remembered it to be...that is.....SPICY!  Of course when I use to eat it in Ethiopia the spice was to cover the taste of the "aged"  (as in near spoiled due to lack of refrigeration) meat. I am sure the meat is much better here. Also, the bread....in Ethiopia it was this thin, moist, flexible stuff, kind of sour,  that tore off a piece and scooped up some of the mystery meat with. I recall them scooping in lots of berbere, hot peppers and such, into the pot when they brewed up that stew stuff.

How is the version they serve here?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#19]
My fiance and I had pho at Vietnam Kitchen right before the new year and she was correct when she said I'd start craving that food after I had it.

They were extremely busy also and the NC blue interior of the place looked dated but once you started eating, it didn't matter

If anyone is near Lexingon, you should try the Pho Saigon near where Phillip Galls used to be on New Circle.  It's tasty also.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

We just drove by there the other night on our way to another place to meet up with family. Having lived in Ethiopia many years ago I wondered if I should drag the wife over there some night and see if the food was as I vaguely remembered it to be...that is.....SPICY!  Of course when I use to eat it in Ethiopia the spice was to cover the taste of the "aged"  (as in near spoiled due to lack of refrigeration) meat. I am sure the meat is much better here. Also, the bread....in Ethiopia it was this thin, moist, flexible stuff, kind of sour,  that tore off a piece and scooped up some of the mystery meat with. I recall them scooping in lots of berbere, hot peppers and such, into the pot when they brewed up that stew stuff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.   That's it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My fiance and I had pho at Vietnam Kitchen right before the new year and she was correct when she said I'd start craving that food after I had it.

They were extremely busy also and the NC blue interior of the place looked dated but once you started eating, it didn't matter

If anyone is near Lexingon, you should try the Pho Saigon near where Phillip Galls used to be on New Circle.  It's tasty also.
View Quote

It is a whole in the wall place next to some trashy bar and a laundromat.    But,  the food is awesome.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:12:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm having a hard time picturing authentic Ethiopian food. Instead of a waiter bringing your plate doe a UN truck stop at your table and drop off a sack of rice?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:40:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm having a hard time picturing authentic Ethiopian food. Instead of a waiter bringing your plate doe a UN truck stop at your table and drop off a sack of rice?
View Quote

Travel much?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL!  Ain't  that about the truth.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If you are looking for good sushi, I have found that it doesn't really exist in Kentucky. No one does it right. Closes Sushi restaurant that meets my expectations is Hiko a Mon on 4th Street. Biggest issue I see with sushi here in Kentucky is that the plate is FAR too Americanized. Quality rice is no where near it should be, lacking in vinegar and quality. As well...traditional sushi does not have ceddar cheese!

Rant over...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rant over...

I’m not a big sushi connoisseur but I like Sopparo.

^^ Mussel and Burger Bar is my favorite.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:02:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I will share in your sense of humor....but give you a bit of information.

In 1967 I traveled to Ethiopia to work for a time for our Uncle Sam. During my "extended stay" I had months to learn about Ethiopian food. First and foremost,  Its spicy. But for me there are other memories and from what I see the restaurant tries in its way to capture that intangible thing I recall about eating there. Eating in Ethiopia was a coming together time. Food was served on a platter and everyone would dig in to get what they needed.

The Ethiopians I knew and made friends with taught me much I took forward in life with me. While they had limited means, they shared what they had. They looked after each other. They were honest and hard working. Meal time was a social event where we all sat down together and shared. We talked and we laughed. I remember these people, faced with little wealth or hope seemed to find something in life to share and smile about.

So, I know some people have a different outlook on what Ethiopia was all about and recall the old Ethiopian skinny jokes, but having lived there I guess I have a different outlook.  No way to capture that in a resturant, but for those of us who lived there...it helps us to remember great meals with good friends.

I gotta get down to the Queen of Sheba.....
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Holy shite.....that made me laugh!  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top