Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2014 12:29:12 PM EDT
My girlfriend bought us both a Defensive Handgun training class for a 2nd year dating anniversary.  We ran into the guys from Decisive Action at the Lexington boat show earlier this year.  They are based out of Ft. Knox but have expanded to teaching class's at Bud's in Lexington.  The staff all work as body guards.  Some had a background with Blackwater, law enforcement, military, and FBI.  The class was pretty fast paced an intense.  I went in thinking "I know how to shoot but want to learn more" to leaving with the thoughts of "I need to practice a lot just to get the basics down".  

I just wanted to make people aware of this group, especially since they are doing classes in Lexington now.  There is a waiting list already for the next class at Bud's and I'm not sure that they even have a published date for it.  http://dadefense.com/

The Defensive Handgun class is geared towards real world applications of CCW.  Instead of just standing relaxed in front of a static target and shooting like you would at a gun range, they put you under stress and conduct various drills.  They even brought in a car one of the guy drives so that we could practice safely drawing while seat belted in and shooting through the window opening.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:55:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like she's a keeper.

They seem reasonably priced, I'll have to check them out.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Can you give us a bit more about your level of experience before taking the class? For example, do you/have you ever shot IDPA or USPSA with any regularity? This is relevant because they say they cover "shooting while moving" and "drawing from the holster". This is something a lot of people have not really practiced but anyone who shoots IDPA/USPSA does it every match.

The pricing seems reasonable and for that price, learning one thing seems worthwhile (much less learning a bunch of stuff).

On a somewhat related note, we shoot IDPA every 3rd Sat and USPSA every 1st and 3rd Sun at Bluegrass in Wilmore. While these are games and not remotely real life training, they are good for improving many aspects of safety, gun handling, and self defense skills.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I've shot police pistol combat, GSSF matches, and high power.  No IDPA or USPSA experience.  The training class that we took is for the average joe that has a CCDW but never really trained to draw and fire under stress or while moving.  The first 2 hours of the class was going over the basics.  Then they incorporated shooting while moving with timer turned targets.  At that point they mentioned how all of the previous 2 hours of training went out the window once movement was involved.  

For someone like you that uses IDPA or USPSA the defensive handgun class would be too basic for you.  The tactical handgun class they offer would be better.  It is a 6 hour class instead of 3 hours, they start where the defensive class leaves off, and then goes in depth.

One thing you may not like is they drill based on modern techniques that they have determined to be the most efficient.  So if you have adopted your own style they will still want you to drill using their style.  For me that changed my stance, changed how I draw, changed how I held the gun slightly, and changed from me shooting with one eye closed to both eyes open.  Their way is better than what I was doing and when it all came together my shots were much more accurate.  Changing all those fundamentals under stressed drills was difficult though.

Are the IDPA and USPSA matches open to the public or do you need to be a member of Bluegrass?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#4]
All matches at BGSL are open to the public. As a BGSL member, there is a $5 discount on the match fees.
If you have never shot a match there before, you have to be there early for a new shooter check.
There is also an IDPA match at S&D range just south of Fayette Mall every Thurs at 6, an IDPA match at the Gun Warehouse each Tues at 6, and a USPSA style match at the Gun Warehouse each Thurs at 6.

IDPA
http://bgslinc.com/modules.php?name=BGSL_Sport_IDPA&file=page&load=Home.html

USPSA
http://bgslinc.com/modules.php?name=BGSL_Sport_IPSC&file=page&load=Home.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top