Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 2/25/2011 8:33:09 AM EDT
Welcome all Arfcom members to the Kentucky Regional Training Group (KTG)! This group is meant to gather any  members to train! Everyone is welcomed to join! As well, anyone from out of state is more than welcomed to join!

By joining this group, all I ask is:
1. Observe the 4 Rules of Firearm Safety AT ALL TIMES.
2. Have a sling or holster for you firearm and be familiar with it.
3. Have quality firearm to which you have familiarized yourself with.
4. Train with what you will most likely use in your situation. Be REALISTIC.

Keep in mind we will run this training group as any firearms course would. We follow the 4 Rules of Firearms Safety at ALL times. The range will always be "hot", meaning weapons will have a round in the chamber. When weapons are not in use, weapons will be on safe (if possible), all muzzles are to be pointed down, pistols in holsters.

This group will NOT be shooting on a static range. We will be utilizing 180 degrees of fire and 360 degrees of movement. This is to mimic real life situation as closely as possible

So this thread is to serve to as a base of ARFCOM member wishing to train together in the commonwealth. All other ARFCOM members of other states are more than welcomed to join!

Before posting, please take the time to observe the rules and purpose of the group. Then please introduce yourself! Tell us a little about what you would like to train with and level of experience (carbine, shotgun, pistol) and where in KY you are from. You don't have to post your real name if you don't want to. By all means, tell as many people about this group as you like! So long they observe rules and follow the guidelines, we welcome all! The more members, the better!

I'll start off!

I'm Alvin, a college student at the University of Kentucky. Currently, I'm a intern at an accounting firm and as far I know, the youngest Concealed Carry Instructor in Kentucky. I have been to a few carbine courses over the years, so I have some time behind the gun. I do most of my training in central Kentucky. I started this thread to network with other people in Kentucky that are interested in training, discussing tactics and gear considerations, who treats their guns as tools and not as beauty queens. As you can tell, I don't care that my rifle gets beats up. I like anything unorthodox, if it works, it works.

So with out further ado, please post in this thread first and I will keep track of the members on this post!

Training Updates-

Date to be announced!

Let me stress that each individual is to have QUALITY GEAR and WEAPONS. Get your gear squared away before coming so as to minimize time wasting adjusting gear. Between breaks, I will be more than happy to consult individuals regarding their gear needs and adjustment.

Bring whatever gear you want to train with, just be sure it is QUALITY

KTG Members-
1) A.Lin - Thevibe or aflin on M4carbine.net
2) A. Brevard- kyfortean
3) B. Cruze- cruze5
4) Joker 1
5) Frinko
4) Dashammer
5) Arfarf
6) BeaterAR
7) Wildcat78
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Pistol and carbine, absolutely!
I've been out of the service for 17 years, so sign me up for the noob class.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Ah great question Cruze, theres no membership fees. Just pay $10 and you can shoot all day.

Hah thats the very reason why I don't join or shoot at BGSL.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm in.

Pistol and carbine for me as well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds great. Pistol and carbine here as well also shotgun would be fun as well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 11:22:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I would be interested it just depends on my work schedule.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Interested - pistol and carbine of course.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 3:33:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Sign me up.

Pistol and carbine, though having some shotgun would be good too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I am in for pistol and carbine. So is it $10.00 an hr or $10.00 a day. The ad say's $10.00 an hour plus $2.00 for targets.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#11]
In.. pistol and carbine
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am in for pistol and carbine. So is it $10.00 an hr or $10.00 a day. The ad say's $10.00 an hour plus $2.00 for targets.

Hmm, that's odd. Every time I shoot there I pay $10 all day. I'll call them up and clarify what the price is.

Since there's enough responses, I'll also figure out a date to train and provide more info
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 1:26:13 PM EDT
[#13]
That ad is what kept me away from there in the past. When I go to the range I go to the range like 4-8hrs. If it is $10.00 a day I am in big time.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like fun, I would try and make it down sometimes for something like this.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 7:31:53 AM EDT
[#15]
How does March 12 or 13 sound to everyone? We can always push it back another week if need be.

As well, I talked to the owner of range, $10 all day isn't going to happen . Worse comes to worse, I can call Kenny up at Knob Creek and see what he can do.

In the mean time, I need to what dates work for everyone. Once that's done, I need a head count and see how many people are for sure in.

Link Posted: 3/1/2011 7:46:31 AM EDT
[#16]
That would be a good weekend for me. The following one should be fine too, at that.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#17]
That is a good week end for me also.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#18]
What kind of distances is everyone traveling currently?

I ask because it might be possible to use my father's other farm if it is not to out of the way for everyone.  

The only range cost would be cleaning up after ourselves.  Obviously this would not have all the facilities of some commercial ranges but there is plenty of space and solid back drop.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm in Frankfort. A little over an hour drive to both creeks, Knob or Canoe.

Where's the farm?
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Mason/Lewis line.  The county line literally crosses around the center of the farm.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#21]
danville....
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#22]
too far for me I think

how far from Pike county? or from Lexington to there if I could carpool with someone
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
too far for me I think

how far from Pike county? or from Lexington to there if I could carpool with someone

I'm in lexington, I wouldnt mind giving you a ride
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 11:29:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

How does March 12 or 13 sound to everyone? We can always push it back another week if need be.

As well, I talked to the owner of range, $10 all day isn't going to happen . Worse comes to worse, I can call Kenny up at Knob Creek and see what he can do.

In the mean time, I need to what dates work for everyone. Once that's done, I need a head count and see how many people are for sure in.

If it was either of those days I would most likely not be able to do it.  If I would do either day it would be the 13th, depending on what time of day and how tired I was when I got off work.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 3:04:32 AM EDT
[#25]
I am from that neck of the woods Mason/Lewis county line (Orangeburg). You got good roads comming into that area/ 68 north out of Lexington and the AA running in from NKy both east and west great for car pools. So let's do it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 5:04:15 AM EDT
[#26]
if you are MIL/LEO use your rig. If you have civvy, there's no need to be running a PC, unless you want to

LEO is a Civvy
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 6:35:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I am from that neck of the woods Mason/Lewis county line (Orangeburg). You got good roads comming into that area/ 68 north out of Lexington and the AA running in from NKy both east and west great for car pools. So let's do it.

Yeah, we have good highway access into Maysville.  The farm itself is not very far from the AA.  Being from the area you may actually know where it is.  The farm is located where BIg and Little Cabin flow together into just Cabin Creek.

Also, I spoke to my father about it and he said we were good to go for mid month in march.  The only times through the year where it would be completely unavailable are during deer and turkey seasons.  There is some actual farming that goes on there too but if we continue using the property at different times throughout the year we should be able to move where we are shooting to accommodate any planting or harvesting going on.

Link Posted: 3/2/2011 8:04:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, we have good highway access into Maysville.  The farm itself is not very far from the AA.  Being from the area you may actually know where it is.  The farm is located where BIg and Little Cabin flow together into just Cabin Creek.

Also, I spoke to my father about it and he said we were good to go for mid month in march.  The only times through the year where it would be completely unavailable are during deer and turkey seasons.  There is some actual farming that goes on there too but if we continue using the property at different times throughout the year we should be able to move where we are shooting to accommodate any planting or harvesting going on.

Awesome news!!! I'll get the list of attendees started on the OP!
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#29]
I would love to see some shotgun training in the future.

I cannot make the march 12th date as I will be in Louisiana on a fishing trip (UK's springbreak)
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 8:54:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow - great update!  

An advanced "Thank you!" to you and your Dad!
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Update in the first post!
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#32]
I should have some targets to contribute.  I just ordered 500 B-21s.  Don't have many target stands though.  I usually use an old fridge that crapped out in one the aptartments I own for a stand at the little range by the house.

Link Posted: 3/2/2011 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Dang, i cant make it that weekend. Ill have to catch the next one
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 12:07:02 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a real good idea where that's at. I have a sister that lives in Plumville. I use to fish in cabin creek back in the day before Dravo sh-t canned the area down by the river. Heck we may even know each others families.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 12:45:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Just a head up. Maysville is a great place for a weekend trip. Alot of stuff to do and great history. Washington Ky is a great historical area on US 68 right before you get to Maysville. Plenty of good places to eat and sleep at a reasonable price. If memory serves me right down town Maysville is a happen place on the weekend a couple of layed back Pubs/Bars. Good friend of mine run the Irish Pub there and it is right across the street from the New Orleans Suite Hotel in downtown (no need to be behind the wheel).

Just something to think about.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 4:50:56 AM EDT
[#36]
How about using the cardboard USPSA targets that can be pasted when needed.  The hold up alot better than the paper ones.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 4:55:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How about using the cardboard USPSA targets that can be pasted when needed.  The hold up alot better than the paper ones.

Good idea! But I currently don't have any :(

If any body does...please bring some! We can all can chip in money for them
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 6:34:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have a real good idea where that's at. I have a sister that lives in Plumville. I use to fish in cabin creek back in the day before Dravo sh-t canned the area down by the river. Heck we may even know each others families.

Pretty good odds of that.  My father and myself used to fish at the mouth of Cabin creek all the time during the fall.  Still do on occasion since we are friends the family that owns the other side of the creek from Dravo.  The fishing is not as good as used to be though.  Dad actually grew up where Dravo is now, there used be a village there called Springdale.  If you read the Maysville paper Dad writes the Outdoors column that they run on Saturday.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 6:53:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

These guys are located in George townand have packages of 50 USPSA targets for 32.00 or 100 packs for 50.  They also sell pasters.  Maybe someone in the area or passing through could pick some up.  They are also a bit easier to throw together stands for since they are rigid.  I would certainly be down to throw in on them.  I would even be willing to buy some of the left overs if whoever picked them up sis not want them all.

I picked the up B-21s since I need them for CCDW classes and I can use them for personal targets as well.  Plus they were cheap buying them 500 at a time.

I also need to pick up some cheap tarps or maybe some heavy plastic sheeting.  Dad asked that we try to minimize lost brass since lots of the space at the farm is used to bail hay.  I figured I could throw down the tarps to make it easier to collect brass for this purpose.  If any body has any spare tarps they would not mind to bring let me know so I don't buy as many.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 7:12:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

These guys are located in George townand have packages of 50 USPSA targets for 32.00 or 100 packs for 50.  They also sell pasters.  Maybe someone in the area or passing through could pick some up.  They are also a bit easier to throw together stands for since they are rigid.  I would certainly be down to throw in on them.  I would even be willing to buy some of the left overs if whoever picked them up sis not want them all.

I picked the up B-21s since I need them for CCDW classes and I can use them for personal targets as well.  Plus they were cheap buying them 500 at a time.

I also need to pick up some cheap tarps or maybe some heavy plastic sheeting.  Dad asked that we try to minimize lost brass since lots of the space at the farm is used to bail hay.  I figured I could throw down the tarps to make it easier to collect brass for this purpose.  If any body has any spare tarps they would not mind to bring let me know so I don't buy as many.

I'm in Georgetown and will grab a 100 pack.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice, I'll pay for some!
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 7:30:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet.

On a side note.  There a re couple guys from the gym who are interested in maybe coming down.  I will let you all know as soon as I find out for sure one way or another.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#43]
I would be interested but I have to work at 8am that day
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#44]
I know right where Springdale is. I really grew up at the top of the hill / Springdale road in that little subdivision on the right just before you head down the over the hill. I got a trap and will bring it. Count me in on the target/stand deal out of georgetown I can throw a few buck in on it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Directions have been updated in the OP.

As well, please contact me to be put on the list so I can get a general head count!
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#46]
I would have loved to come..... But, F**k my vacation is over on the 12th! I will be at work thinking I could be unloading with you guys.

Hope you all have a great time and stay safe!
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#47]
I couldn't get the day off from work.

Hopefully the next will be after I go to weekends off.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 7:05:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Hmm...there appears to be less interest and commitments than I anticipated.

What if the training date was moved to the 19th? Would more of you guys be able to make it?
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 7:31:06 AM EDT
[#49]
I should be able on either date.

I'm having some problems with a shoulder, and have been holding off on signing up until I see where it's heading, to avoid signing up and then having to chicken out.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 8:01:27 AM EDT
[#50]
I have a bit of interest from a couple guys here about coming but I don't have a firm commitment yet from them.  I'll keep asking around up here to see if I can get anymore local guy interested.

I'll check my scheduled and make sure the 19th would work on my end if that is the way we go.  I should be fine but anytime I am not working I have to make sure I can get someone to cover that day.  I can know for sure by the end of the day today.

It may also just take a few days to get commitments to come.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top