Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2010 4:47:26 PM EDT
I am going to be in Louisville (the east side) next week and would like to visit some local gun shops.  What do you recommend?

Link Posted: 5/22/2010 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/22/2010 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Do you have a storefront???
Link Posted: 5/22/2010 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're just looking, Shooters Supply is OK. You can see some pretty nice stuff. I have not been in the store since my first trip after new management took completely over; priced theirselves right out of the market. Strictly in the "law enforcement supply only" mode when I was there.
Used to spend $2000 ~$3000 a year in there; haven't spent a dime in three years at present.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Lotus Gun Works is a brand new facility in the business park off of Hurstbourne Pkwy. and is a well stocked and friendly place to do business. Shooter's Supply is getting better than they were, mainly because they are starting to feel some heat from the competition (IMO). I understand that 111 Guns is moving from IN to a store front on Hurstbourne Pkwy, not far from either of the previously mentioned shops, that move should be completed by late June (if what has been said is correct). Oakwood Guns, in Middletown, is another place that is coming along, after the shop changed hands a while back. All of these are on the east or NE side of Louisville.

It finally looks like there is going to be a more customer friendly, competition driven gun shop environment in Louisville. Up until now, there really hasn't been any real competition and Shooter's Supply pretty much had it thier own way, and they treated thier customers however they felt like. A lot of local customers got a bad taste in thier mouth because of it, too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 6:01:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been in to Lotus once, nice place, friendly people, competitive prices. I'd recommend it.

Also not sure how far east you want to go but OpenRange up in Crestwood has a nice indoor range and their lunchtime special rates are not bad for range time.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 8:52:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I went to Lotus Gun Works "opening weekend sale" Their selection was small, their prices were above MSRP, their staff, not particularly knowledgeable. For example, I asked about lower reciever parts kits and the response was "those are hard to find"

Shooter's Supply has a great selection and (some) staff who actually have a clue, but their prices are the worst ive seen except for the occasional doorbuster deal.

Orion Arms (formerly Kieslers) in Clarksville, IN has some good guys and a decent selection. Their prices are just ok but they can sometimes be negotiated with.
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 2:40:49 AM EDT
[#8]
If you happen to be looking for Overpriced Ammo and Mags you could also see KY Imports off the Gene Snyder.

Talking about going downhill...........

I miss the days when it was a great place to shop.

If you are by the Airport, Tilfords is off Fern Valley.  Small shop and prices can be hit or miss.
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 7:07:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Tilfords will work with you on prices but Shooters Supply sux! Over priced and Skip (the owner) is an arrogant asshole.
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I visited Lotus Gunworks for the first time last week and I must say that it is the classiest gun shop that I have seen, a welcome departure from so many of the cluttered disorganized shops around. If you have not been there, I highly recommend a visit.

Full disclosure: Lotus Gunworks is an Elzetta Dealer (currently the only one in Louisiville).

Damn, wish I'd known that. Drove all the way to Bud's Paris to get my Elzetta goodness. Lotus is about 8 minutes away from my house.
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I went in Lotus the other day, seemed to be as overpriced as Shooter's Supply.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I have been buying guns for over 40 years. Its a serious hobby to me and I know a little bit. I was a college business teacher and as such had to study and teach customer service. So what does that make me? Well, a critic of gun shops.

First: I can not believe how ignorant most gun shops are about customer service and the product they are trying to sell you. It floors me!

Second: I have this belief that I am the customer. I have the money in my pocket that will be paying that salesperson and owner's paycheck. If they do not respect me and treat me as if I am the most important thing in the shop then me and my money walk out the door.  I do not expect to be treated like a king or have my butt kissed but darn if they don't act like my business means something or if they can not give me an honest answer without a bunch of BS then I walk, PERIOD.

Shooter's Supply: During the Big Scare....what a lot of Crap they spread. They jacked up prices and tried to scare people. I never heard so much junk in my life. Their prices are the highest around, their product knowledge amongst the lowest. I will not spend any more of my money there. Oh, they don't do trades.

Lotus Gun Works: Five minutes from my house. I have not bought anything there yet, but that is personal. I thought they were going to be a great place but my warm feelings faded as I learned how little most of them knew about firearms. I am sure they are good business men but I have not seen any "arms experts" there yet. I will wait and see, they are new.

Tilfords: You just don't know what you might find. Some days a good deal, other days....well....good luck. I use to stop by from time to time just to see.

Oakwood: A little local shop. Has some selection but I can not say that the prices are anything special. Nice owner, too new for me to fully judge how things will go there.

Knob Creek: Best selection in the area. Prices? Well, that depends on what you are looking for. Kenny has a great inventory and keeps building it. Know what something is worth before going in and if he has what you want and the price is OK with you, buy it. I have bought a few items there and can't complain. I have also passed on just as many or more and gone elsewhere. Again, know what your gun is worth.  Don't go in expecting to trade something in. You will be low-balled. Sell it yourself.

Local gun shows: Hit and miss. I have gotten a few very good deals at the larger ones. I have also wasted some money paying to get into poor shows where the dealers asked prices so high only a fool would pay them. You just have to educate yourself and know what things are worth. The big shows (Great Eastern) are best. The smaller shows don't impress me much.

Louisville needs some better shops, more competition, something ....maybe a place that knows WTF they are doing.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 6:53:42 AM EDT
[#15]
This pretty much sums up the gun shop scene in Louisville in a nutshell. I feel pretty much the same in every dept. (especially about Shooter's Supply, 5 minutes from my house and the last place I will go if I'm looking for something), save that I am willing to reserve judgement on the new guys until they prove themselves, one way or the other.

Buying a gun in Louisville usualy means finding it online and having it shipped if you don't want to get bent over. Selling or trading? Don't go to any of the gun shops here, they are all run like pawn shops, you'll be lucky if you get .30 on the dollar (wholesale), if they'll deal with you at all.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#16]
i noticed on a local forum here in Ky that some guys are forgiving to Shooters because they lowered their prices on some items. I went in just to see for myself and I didnt notice anything lower. If anything Skips arrogance is as high as his prices.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#17]
What's the name of that place down on Dixie Highway about...I dunno...maybe 3 miles south of the Snyder? It's a guy's name...

Anyway, oddball place but pretty decent prices. It's like a psycho flea-market in terms of some of the stuff for sale, but it gives you something interesting to look at while you shop.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the name of that place down on Dixie Highway about...I dunno...maybe 3 miles south of the Snyder? It's a guy's name...

Anyway, oddball place but pretty decent prices. It's like a psycho flea-market in terms of some of the stuff for sale, but it gives you something interesting to look at while you shop.

Is it Biff's you are thinking of there on the right?

Yep, Biff's. The three guns I bought from them were priced just right and I don't recall ever seeing anything very over-priced. Haven't been there in a couple of years, though. And yeah, it is/was like a flea market. But heck I can't complain. I got a PASGT kevlar helmet with woodland cover from them for ridiculously cheap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top