Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2006 11:16:29 AM EDT
Hey, I'm a reserve Marine going to UK.  As such, I'm in Lexington about 5 days of the week and London on the weekends that I'm not at drill.  I'm not too worried about getting a lot of rifle training (the Marine Corps takes care of a lot of that), but the military isn't very good for pistol training.  A question I've got for all you Kentucky boys (mostly those guys located along I-75 between Louisville and Williamsburg): where do you go for defensive pistol instruction?  Or do you know of any relatively affordable trainers who travel?  Our farm in London is awesome for shooting, and I'm about to set up a 300 yard range for AR shooting.  Any links/info would really be appreciated.  Thanks a lot.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I fyou want to hire an instructor to come to your farm and teach you, be prepared to pay a HEFTY premium for someone that actually knows what they are doing. If you are interested in some training I am working on setting up getting Massad Ayoob to come and instruct at Knob Creek in the next few months. The message is stickied under the KY hometown board.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:19:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Leatherneck,
A buddy and I have gone to TDI  (www.tdiohio.com) and should be going back this year.  I'm down in Richmond and it took us less than 2 hours to get there.  
Bud's in Paris is where we shoot (for now)

We plan to join BGSL in the spring and will most likely shot ALOT.

On a side not, I will assume that you are in the reserve unit in Lexington, the MP unit?  If so, the same buddy was the armorer there a few years back.  Another buddy was a reservist there as well, now with the Secret Service.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#4]
White Rubi,

TDI looks great, especially the handgun classes, which is what I'm mostly interested.  What kinds of classes are you planning on checking out this spring?  Have you already been looking at the schedule?  Thanks a lot for this one, it's a great find.

Also, as funny as it is, though I live right here in the same city as a Marine Reserve unit, I'm actually in the Fort Knox tanker unit.  I'm a Field Radio Operator.

Thanks,
Leatherneck556
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:16:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Leatherneck,
Last year we spendt a 3 day weekend up there and went to defensive handgun levels 1-3
We are planning to go to 4 and 5 this year sometime.  It was a BLAST.  We shot over 1,500 rounds, learned lots of new stuff and the guys at TDI are unbelieveable.

So you are at the tank unit at Knox?  My roomate all through college and beyond (almost 10 years) was a tanker there.  He got out about 5 years ago.  If the same I & I guys are still there, I'm sure they remember him.  He was batallion Marine of the year probably 6 or 7 years ago.  Barnett is his last name
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:40:15 AM EDT
[#6]
The I&I guys change out all the time, so I doubt they'd be the same.  That name is really familiar, though, for some reason.  But if you lived with a Marine than you've probably heard the old idiom "it's a small Marine Corps."  My Officer Recruiter right now was actually on the I&I staff at Knox a long time ago, just as an example.  Btw, thanks a lot for the info so far!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top