Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 6:36:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Haven't done any comp , I train regularly.

I don't really know why I haven't , but don't really want to either

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The only range i shoot at is BGSL.  some of you are aware of this.   to shoot in the   IPSC  courses, I believe you have to have a pit pass in order to compete.   I have been on 3 seperate ocassions to try to get my pit pass.  Each time they have turned me down.  different excuse each time.  

I wanted to shoot in the high power matchs.  (use my m1a)  but recently i mounted and scoped it.  smith mount SS scope.      I thought about competing.  but there are no other shooters there my age.  i mean 0 .     So that has held me back.   It would just be ackward for me.  

to add to the kettle.   a couples times when i walk up the long distant range while they are in a match(not the high power, but the rim fire).  I get the look of death,  and they tell me to come back in a couple hours when they are done.   I take it they aren't very open to new members.   even if i was interested, just the additude would keep me away.

im 24 btw
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I shot on the High School Rifle and Pistol Teams back in the 70's. Now I shoot the occasional Bowling Pin Match. Other than that I'm just a recreational blaster. No real urge to compete.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I am going up to Michigan this summer to shoot in a match with my dad to qualify for the CMP program and then pick up a Garand down the road.

I sometime shoot in a .22 pistol matches at my club, but other than that I mostly shoot Bowling Pins, since I SUCK hitting them with a Bowling Ball....
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I enjoy shooting with other people, but I 'm not really into the competive type events.  I would rather have a group of 10 or 12 people just blasting away at some targets.

Which reminds me, how about a KY-ARFCOM shoot sometime?

Kirk
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:33:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, back in my younger days...lets say prior to being old enough to own a pistol...I shot in matches put on in the central TN area (my hometown) with my .45 and mini-14 or AR.  I am not sure what affiliation they were but there were competitive .45 matches, combat walks, three-man, etc.  I used to love to do that and was pretty good for my age given the age of my competitors.  I worked at a gun store in those days and was always getting tips/accurizing/practicing etc. and my boss even sponsored some of my stuff.

I stopped competing in the combat walk matches when a friend of mine was hit by a ricochet in the arm. Very sobering and we don't know whose round it was but likely from a rifle.

I would love to compete in pistol matches again. Not sure what happened to my pistol leather rig in the 8-10 moves since those days but i am sure I could prepare another one.

I shoot at the Anderson County Sportsman club. Would like to compete again if I had the time and place to do it but it was a friendlier atmoshphere where I was some 20+ years ago and I am not all about competing to win big money or fame/name...it was basically just fun....if I found somewhere with that again...I would probably be up to it after a lot of practice.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Although I have always wanted to try some competetion shooting. I never have. I guess because I've never been able to talk any of my buddies into going with me. I do shoot alot and am a decent shot, but have never shot anything competive. I used to go Trap Shooting with my Dad when I was 15,16, 17 and enjoyed that.

I live in Greenup Co. Ky.(near Ashland) if anyone knows of competetions say between here and Lexington post them mabye I'll show. I shoot .22 pistols, .45 pistols and .223 AR-15 alot. I am not very up to date on when and where local competitions are.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#12]

I've never shot any matches.

I guess with carrying a gun everyday at work, trying to shoot top score at work, the last thing I want to do at the range is compete. I want to have FUN there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:12:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Stump,

The ACSC www.andersoncountysportsmansclub.org

should have some openings. if you go to the website it talks about the requirements, how to join, etc.  Don't worry about the getting 2 sponsors thing.   I just showed up at a meeting in february (they are open...kinda) and joined. They found two people in the clubhouse to sign for me and I was in.  I didn't join for years because of rumors and the "no vacancy" thing but some friends said that they usually had openings early in the year. Since members have til Feb. 1 to renew...you should be able to join at the FEB meeting if you want to.

The site shows meetings being on fridays by the date they have. In the past they have always been on thursdays so I have to double check on that but I have to go next week and renew myself anyway.  

Its a pretty good range (especially since its 3 miles from my house) and the kids enjoy going there to shoot as well. I hardly ever run into anyone out there unless its during a match (which is also listed on their website)...and even then you can go the other side of the range (pistol to rifle, or etc.). My daughter has shown a recent interest in archery and so I may take her out there and let her start that. They have assorted foam animals to shoot at :0).

ETA: Just talked to another member (more in the know) and the next meeting is THURSDAY THE 12th of JANUARY at 7:30.  I always get there around 6:30 to 7 to renew my membership. Also at each meeting they have a meal (usually chili and hotdogs) and you chip in a few bucks and you can eat.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I shoot NRA Highpower Rifle, XTC and LR, around the area and Cowboy Action with the Knob Creek Gunfighter Guild.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#17]
The only competitions at the Frankfort Sportmans Club are trap . . . none of my guns are trap guns.  The rifle/pistol range is kinda weak, short.  Never actually been to a meeting, though . . . never can remember when they are supposed to happen.  I go shooting during the day and rarely see anyone else (but I feel like I am the only one sweeping brass most of the time).
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#18]
The Ashland Gun Club in Boyd County holds monthly IPSC and occassional side matches.  I believe the folks at Borders could give you the contact information for the current officers.  There are also pistol matches (target type shooting) held at Northeast Fish and Game Association.  I can give you the contact info for the organizer if needed.

Quoted:

I live in Greenup Co. Ky.(near Ashland) if anyone knows of competetions say between here and Lexington post them mabye I'll show. I shoot .22 pistols, .45 pistols and .223 AR-15 alot. I am not very up to date on when and where local competitions are.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:31:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:41:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The Ashland Gun Club in Boyd County holds monthly IPSC and occassional side matches.  I believe the folks at Borders could give you the contact information for the current officers.  There are also pistol matches (target type shooting) held at Northeast Fish and Game Association.  I can give you the contact info for the organizer if needed.

Quoted:

Thanks. Heck I go in Borders all the time. I was just in there today. I am a member at Northestern. I rarely go in the club house. I just go out there and waste ammo.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:14:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I shot on the High School Rifle and Pistol Teams back in the 70's. Now I shoot the occasional Bowling Pin Match. Other than that I'm just a recreational blaster. No real urge to compete.

I'm green with envy.

You can't even say the word "gun" in high schools now.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:10:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I shoot NRA Highpower Rifle, XTC and LR, around the area and Cowboy Action with the Knob Creek Gunfighter Guild.

Nice to see you that involved with your local club, that's great.

BTW, what's XTC?

Across the Course

i.e. normal 200/300/500 or 600 yd matches
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I shoot skeet at the Pulaski Outdoorsmen's club, singles and doubles. Not any kind pistol matches around here that I know of. I wouldn't mind trying those if they were close by.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stump,

The ACSC www.andersoncountysportsmansclub.org

should have some openings. if you go to the website it talks about the requirements, how to join, etc.  Don't worry about the getting 2 sponsors thing.   I just showed up at a meeting in february (they are open...kinda) and joined. They found two people in the clubhouse to sign for me and I was in.  I didn't join for years because of rumors and the "no vacancy" thing but some friends said that they usually had openings early in the year. Since members have til Feb. 1 to renew...you should be able to join at the FEB meeting if you want to.........

Thanks, CbtEngr1.  

Fisrt of all, wow, they've really upgraded their site from what it used to look like, that's nice to see.  

I appreciate the join info.  Back when I was trying to join, I was getting frustrated with the BGSL range over their no FMJ rules.  Anderson Co did allow FMJ and a buddy of mine worked with a couple of members of the club.  So I got the applications through them, but then was told after filliing them out that they weren't accepting any apps at that time.

But, a little time there after, the BGSL finally did away with their no FMJ rule, thank God!  

Question:  I read through some of the rules posted on the site, but I didn't see anything pretaining to what kind of targets are allowed.  Can you shoot anything besides just a paper target?  I'm not talking tanerite or washing machines here.  More like any steel poppers or maybe water jugs or something like that legal for the rifle range, or is that not allowed like at the BGSL?

I also saw their membership prices are still dirt cheap!

No they only allow paper targets or so they say on the rifle range (of course theres always the posts and they have been working on the range (looks like putting in a longer one) and so there are nice piles of dirt.  They have a 22 range (rifle or pistol) with silhouettes that spin and pop up and all.  Thats pretty fun and my kids and I enjoy that.   I rarely ever aim for precision on the rifle range when I have anything but a bolt action anyway.  

I really enjoy the pistol range because one half of it is basically "post a paper target"  and shoot..and the other half is steel plates with a nice rope pull for resetting them without walking to the plates all the time.

My daughter is talking about archery so I may partake of that range soon.  I really like skeet and trap shooting but I don't have the shotgun for it anymore and they only have trap out there.  Since you have to be amember to go in, its tough to find someone to pull for you while you shoot as well.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:34:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Well its unusual but she has participated in many sports and we were in a gun store the other day and she saw some bows and said "hey this is the kind we had in school". I said "you took archery in school".  She said it was in middle school and then I remembered there was a big donation of archery bows and arrows to the school for the PE classes and they even formed an archery team.  I guess she liked it enough to consider picking one of those youth bows up for her. Besides that, they come in unusual colors (saw these at Classic Arms in Lexy).

I know nothing about archery but have instructed her in pistol shooting (she prefers the colt .45 govt. model I have had since about her age).  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I play cowboy in the warmer months.
Hooten Old Town

Possum Trot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top