Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2005 10:21:39 AM EDT
Hi Guy's I'm in FL right now and considering a move to Kentucky. I would like to get your feedback about your state; what you like what you don't. There are 2 main reasons we are considering moving.

1. Schools in FL suck! They have this stupid state test, the whole thing is a scam, and puts loads of undue pressure on the kids and they learn very little. So how are the schools?

2. House prices are unattainable down here. The market has gone up so high that we are unable to even consider getting a house unless we move to very undesirable areas or so far away from where we are now, that we should just move out of state anyway.

ALSO what are winters like? (We are from upstate NY and winters are the main reason we moved south besides better gun laws) How long do they last how? How much snow and how long does it stay? Temperatures etc.

I would like to know if I could give one or several of you a call and get some opinions. We have no idea WHERE in KY to look. We would need to be near a population center for work. This doesn't rule out the 'sticks' if it is in commuting range. I would also like to not be in a flood plain FL is very very flat. I'm from NY originally and this is just too flat for me.

Any tips suggestions and the like are greatly appreciated.

-DP
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#1]
You can give me a call if you want...but I will tell you what I know in short order here (and PM you my cell #)

I live in Lawrenceburg, just south of Frankfort along US 127 and along the Bluegrass Parkway about 20 miles from Lexington. Employment in KY (you didn't say what you do) is most populated around Louisville (45 miles to my east) and Frankfort and Lexington and Northern Ky for the major part.
Frankfort is mostly government worker types, small capitol that swells in ranks during the day.
Lexington has lots of everyhthing (but quite a lot of horse farm related activities)....as does Louisville. Lexington area is the largest in the state but seems smaller (less spread out) than Louisville.  Louisville has more of a minority population.

Housing is booming around Central KY, they are building everywhere but there are good deals to be had, especially if you want to live out in the country.  The house across from me comes with 5 acres or more, is a brick one story with full basement and has just been reduced to 182,000 because its on the other side of the hill (ridge) I guess from me and not many want to live without a lot of flat ground...it has a pond, couple small sheds, etc. and about 3000 sq ft and is about 10 years old.  Geothermal heat so its pretty efficient.  I think you can get houses in town less than 200k easily f thats what you want.  Moving to Lexington or Louisville of course the prices go up..and there is little land to be had. Surrounding counties is where everyone is going.  Western part of the state (especially southwest) is where my wife is from, pretty rural coal country.  West Ky has some emplyment opportunites, cant speak to other items there. You didn't say what your house price range is but I know there are those around for about all prices and if you are handy around the house its all the better.

Schools vary as to degree. we have a statewide testing system here too. Not too bad though. Our schools here in Anderson County are good I think. Could be a little better but there are always private schools.  Some good schools in Lexington and Louisville and of course everyone tries to buy houses for those districts so the price is higher there. Scott Co. has good schools as does Woodford Co.  

Winters have not been bad the last 7 years we lived here.  They are slow on snow removal but if you know how to drive in it, take your time, etc...you are ok.  The worst part is the ICE. We had a big storm one year, I was wihout power for 7 days almost..bought a generator and that solved that...we were pretty cozy then.  Winters are usually hardest from DEC to FEB, maybe March and usually a few good snows a year (last year think we had like 4 -5 that I would consider 3 inches or more).

Our worst env. climate danger here is flooding (but I live on top of a hill so no problem) and Ice and tornadoes.

Edit: TRIED TO IM YOU but says you aren't accepting messages...sorry.
Essayons
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Born and raised is FLA and you can have it, nice to visit but whouldn't want to live there.  One thing we have in Ky. that FLA dosen't is....four seasons!  On the bad side we have a state tax where you don't.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:27:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I have lived all over the united states. But I was born in Ky and that's where i'm living now. I wouldn't want to raise my daughter anywhere else. I love Ky. The only thing is that it's hot and humid most of the summer. But you live in Fla. so you should fit in just fine here. As for houseing I live in a small town in western kentucky, we have a three bedroom one bath brick house in great shape we only paid 38,000.00 for it.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:32:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Fixed the IM thing it should work now thanks!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Louisville is where it is. I was born in the US Virgin Islands. I have been all over the US and want to raise my kids (when I do have them here).

Our schools are decent, and will do well if you care about how your kids are. If you want private schools we have 3 nationally recocognized. Saint Xavier, Trinity and Collegiate, but expensive.

House prices, I live in the south end and paid 79k for a 3 bedroom 1.5 bath full basement 1221 squarefoot home. Everything works and we are slowly improving it.  Depending on the area 100k will get you a fine house. Moving up to 150k you can get a perfect house in a nice location in a ideal neighborhood.

The winters are nowhere like up north, unfortunately we are not prepared for huge storms, so if they do hit we get slammed, also people here cannot drive in the snow. we rarely get any kind of snow, maybe once or twice a winter.  it gets normally in the low teens but winter only really lasts for 4 months from dec-january.

Email me [email protected] directly if ya wanna get more in depth answers.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Louisville is where it is. I was born in the US Virgin Islands. I have been all over the US and want to raise my kids (when I do have them here).

Our schools are decent, and will do well if you care about how your kids are. If you want private schools we have 3 nationally recocognized. Saint Xavier, Trinity and Collegiate, but expensive.

House prices, I live in the south end and paid 79k for a 3 bedroom 1.5 bath full basement 1221 squarefoot home. Everything works and we are slowly improving it.  Depending on the area 100k will get you a fine house. Moving up to 150k you can get a perfect house in a nice location in a ideal neighborhood.

The winters are nowhere like up north, unfortunately we are not prepared for huge storms, so if they do hit we get slammed, also people here cannot drive in the snow. we rarely get any kind of snow, maybe once or twice a winter.  it gets normally in the low teens but winter only really lasts for 4 months from dec-january.

Email me [email protected] directly if ya wanna get more in depth answers.

Pretty much sums it up.  Homes here range from about $35/sq ft in bad areas to over $300/sq ft.  I just did a loan for a guy here that home appraised for 1.125 million with only 3500sf.  

As for schools - there is a multitude to choose from.  IUS, UL, Bellarmine, and a host of others.
Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'll have to agree with all that too.  I was born and raised here and can't see me living anywhere esle. I've spent time in other parts of the country but KY will always be home
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top