Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/10/2004 5:50:15 AM EDT
What is your favorite gun store and where is it located?

I have three:

Thunder Guns in Grayson, KY

J&B in Morehead, KY

Borders in Ashland, KY
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 6:21:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Most of the shops here in northern KY are overpriced so it is hard to have a favorite.

I will say that the Shooter's Supply on 3L (which is either state route 16 or 17, I get them confused) in Edgewood has pretty good prices on new no-ban BM ARs. Pretty close to the prices you see here except no worries with the online purchase and shipping; you get to handle before you buy, too.

Drew
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Whittaker's, near Owensboro, is THE best gun shop in the area. They usually stock around 3000 guns and all except for the handguns are our on the floor for you to touch. Also the largest supply of knives in the area. Prices are low and there is no negotiations, what is says is what you pay.

The shop also has a 300 yard rang about 5 miles up the road. If you've never been there its worth the trip.
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 2:23:27 AM EDT
[#3]
+1
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 5:59:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Shooters Supply in Louisville
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1.  The guys there are top notch and are always looking to make a deal.  It's where I do my shopping.
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Whittaker's is the best !
Link Posted: 12/14/2004 6:49:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I have been wanting to go to Whittaker's, just never made the trip yet.  From the website it looks like they have great prices on firearms...and you can't beat having a range!
Link Posted: 12/14/2004 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Make the trip, you won't regret it. I've been to a lot of shops and Whittaker's rates as one of the best. If you find something you can't live without they have a great layaway too. Ten percent down and 90 days to pay. While you're in the area head on up the road to Owensboro and eat at the Moonlite BBQ.
Link Posted: 12/14/2004 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Make the trip, you won't regret it. I've been to a lot of shops and Whittaker's rates as one of the best. If you find something you can't live without they have a great layaway too. Ten percent down and 90 days to pay. While you're in the area head on up the road to Owensboro and eat at the Moonlite BBQ.

I've heard the same thing about the BBQ.  I've already got a trip planned for next Monday or Tuesday (I hope it doesn't fall through).  My dad wants to pick up a TC Encore and that's where his local FFL told him to go.  If only I was 15 again I could talk him into buying me something...
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 4:13:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Have you seen KY IMPORTS new showroom ?
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  The guys there are top notch and are always looking to make a deal.  It's where I do my shopping.

+2 Great guys there.
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Have you seen KY IMPORTS new showroom ? hr

I've looked at their website and prices seem good, but the PO Box address throws me off.  Where are they located?
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 3:14:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Ky is located off of Old Henry Road.....by the back entrrance to lake forest and the core modern training center
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 7:53:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Tillford's gun usually has some good deals, but limited inventory.  I went to Whittakers 2 weeks ago and picked up a Beretta .25 for $125 and they are selling hi-cap Glock clips for under $20....
KYIMPORTS just sent out a new catalog.  They have super deals on used SIGS and Glocks.
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I've done a lot of business with BUDS in Paris.  The store is great and he has the indoor range up and running. Great folks to work with.  Even has the market on gun safes. Any size wanted or needed.  

Chuck
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Real good guy.  Suppposed to  be checking on a price for a Bushie for me.  And you're definitely right about the gun safes.
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 11:21:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

J&B in Morehead, KY

where's that, exactly, I used to live in Clearfield (outside of Morehead)
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

J&B in Morehead, KY

It is a gun shop located downtown, it is located where the Dollar General, Sloan's Market (Big Valu), White Crow Comics, Coffee Tree Books, and the fuzzy duck is at, in that mall area. It is just a little store but they have some good new and used guns, they can also order just about anything you want.

Another place in Morehead I like is C & B it is on Flemingsburg Road pretty close where Hickory Point is. I have ordered a GI 45 from them, they are some good people there and they too can order what you want, but they are mostly a hunting store.
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

J&B in Morehead, KY

It is a gun shop located downtown, it is located where the Dollar General, Sloan's Market (Big Valu), White Crow Comics, Coffee Tree Books, and the fuzzy duck is at, in that mall area. It is just a little store but they have some good new and used guns, they can also order just about anything you want.

Another place in Morehead I like is C & B it is on Flemingsburg Road pretty close where Hickory Point is. I have ordered a GI 45 from them, they are some good people there and they too can order what you want, but they are mostly a hunting store.

That little strip mall across from the church? I remember it, it was brand new open when I lived there.
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

J&B in Morehead, KY

That little strip mall across from the church? I remember it, it was brand new open when I lived there.

Yea it is across from a church that is the place, just across from Citizens Bank and First Federal Savings and Loan, it is a pretty good place, some good ol boys running it, they have given me some good deals on ammo before.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Shooters Supply In Northern Kentucky (Not that idiot Marks or RLC) located on Madison Pike or 3L highway. Good handgun selection along with Bushmasters, Springfield battlerifles, plus I believe they are going to break ground after the First of the year on a new indoor range, the range will handle rifle, shotgun or pistol rounds. Not to mention FRIENDLY
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I live in Lexington and I know about the Shooter Supply in Louiville but where is the one in northern KY?  Can I get directions?  
Link Posted: 12/25/2004 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Does anyone know anything about Adams Ordinance in Louisville?

Century lists them as a dealer in the 40202 zipcode area.

I have been to most of the dealers in Louisville and never have seen them before.
Link Posted: 12/25/2004 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Shooters Supply in Nothern Kentucky is located @ 4147 Madison Pike
Covington, Kentucky 41017, Phone # 859 356-3300.

Direction
Coming from the South

Take I-75 North to

I-275 east to Ky 17 Covington/Indepence exit ((I think it's exit 80) (Madison Pike, 3L Highway just some namespeolple call the road) .

At the bottom of the ramp turn right. you are now on Ky 17. (Robke Chev dearlership is just across from the exit).

Stay on Ky 17 (i.e. Madison Pike, 3L Highway) for about 2 1/2 (I think).

Shooters Supply is Located in a Strip mall shopping center on your left at the corner of Hands Pike & and Ky17 aka Madison Pike 3L Highway.

The two guys that run it Alex or Homer, two grass root shooters, and they like to shoot the shit.

Was just in there the day before Christmas to pick up a present or two, stock was a little low on long guns,  but everybody tries to reduce the inventory before the first of the year to avoid paying the IRS, plus Deer season and Christmas took a tole on the inventory. And from what I hear the range is a go after the first of the year (Spring 05).  New Range and store all under one roof.

Super Guys to deal with.
Coppercollarworker
Link Posted: 12/25/2004 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Does anyone know anything about Adams Ordinance in Louisville?

Century lists them as a dealer in the 40202 zipcode area.

I have been to most of the dealers in Louisville and never have seen them before.

Adams Ordinance is a new one to me.  And every time I hear of a new one I try to have a visit.
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the directions, I'll be making a trip up there soon. I'll let them restock first LOL. I reload for my handguns so the reloading section interests me. None of the shops down here have decent reloading sections.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Update on Adam's Ordinance

I called the phone number from the Century International website and the guy who answered said they were no longer in business and that he has asked Century to remove him from the dealer locator several times.

Link Posted: 12/31/2004 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm gonna get flames for this,but I just got a Garand from A&M,they were helpful,the kid working there sounded what he knew what he was talking about(Garand is a 1940 reciever with a '53 barrel),maybe the increased competition from Fayette Firearms and Buds is making them change.(they used to be snooty and not very helpful)
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 4:20:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Whittaker's, 6976 W Louisville Ln., Owensboro, KY (It's more out in the county than IN Owensboro).  They not only have more guns than any other shop I've been in, but they have a LOT more cool parts and accessories than anybody else - it's a big place and the walls are covered with magazines and sights and 1911 customizing parts, bins of military surplus mags, scopes, holsters, reloading gear, etc.  They are one of 4 Wilson Master Dealers in KY.  

Another Wilson dealer, and the one I go to more, since I live in Frankfort, is Gilbert's, www.gilbertsguns.com but they mainly only stock Wilson AR-15's and 1911's, no parts.

Since I only get to go there on rare occasions, I wish Whittaker's had a web page.  I just finished building an AR for NRA service rifle competition on a CMT lower from Whittaker's.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#30]
www.whittakerguns.com/

There you go.  And Whittakers' is worth the day trip to the middle of nowhere.  Low-prices, no haggle, lots of stuff.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Another store to consider in Lexington is Classic ARms and archery.  The guys that opened that store use to work at Anitque and Modern.  They said things did not work out over there and they decided to open their own store.  They have bushmasters, armalites etc besides other firearms.  Their prices are reasonable.  Also if they do not know much about a particular firearm they are not afraid to tell you that.  At least they appear to be honest and I have enjoyed dealing with them since they opened.  More pleasant than antique and modern.  They are on Southland drive down from Evans gun shop.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Shooters Supply in Nothern Kentucky is located @ 4147 Madison Pike
Covington, Kentucky 41017, Phone # 859 356-3300.

Direction
Coming from the South

Take I-75 North to

I-275 east to Ky 17 Covington/Indepence exit ((I think it's exit 80) (Madison Pike, 3L Highway just some namespeolple call the road) .

At the bottom of the ramp turn right. you are now on Ky 17. (Robke Chev dearlership is just across from the exit).

Stay on Ky 17 (i.e. Madison Pike, 3L Highway) for about 2 1/2 (I think).

Shooters Supply is Located in a Strip mall shopping center on your left at the corner of Hands Pike & and Ky17 aka Madison Pike 3L Highway.

The two guys that run it Alex or Homer, two grass root shooters, and they like to shoot the shit.

Was just in there the day before Christmas to pick up a present or two, stock was a little low on long guns,  but everybody tries to reduce the inventory before the first of the year to avoid paying the IRS, plus Deer season and Christmas took a tole on the inventory. And from what I hear the range is a go after the first of the year (Spring 05).  New Range and store all under one roof.

Super Guys to deal with.
Coppercollarworker

I ll have to check this place out when i get home.  hug.gif
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:50:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Fayette Firearms isnt a bad place to go, just bought my No ban BM m4 from them for 819...They have a good selection of guns and dont charge you up the butt like a and m does.... i would recommend them to anyone.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Another store to consider in Lexington is Classic ARms and archery.  The guys that opened that store use to work at Anitque and Modern.  They said things did not work out over there and they decided to open their own store.  They have bushmasters, armalites etc besides other firearms.  Their prices are reasonable.  Also if they do not know much about a particular firearm they are not afraid to tell you that.  At least they appear to be honest and I have enjoyed dealing with them since they opened.  More pleasant than antique and modern.  They are on Southland drive down from Evans gun shop.

My brother told me about this place last week.  If it's the guy I'm thinking of, tall with dark hair and glasses, he was the only one that was consistently friendly and helpful at A&M.  I haven't been to the new place yet, but my brother says his friend got a good price on a RRA there.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Western Kentucky (Paducah Area) :

Elite Firearms

Mikes

Shooters Supply

Dunns Sporting Goods

I know I live in Illinois but I do my buisness in KY. All these guys are top notch. Elite is a member of the board I believe....

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd have to recommend Ky. Imports in Louisville.  I've done alot of looking around, and I've found that you really can't beat their prices on most guns and ammo.  For instance, their prices on Wolf ammo are almost exactly the same as Cabelas, and since you won't be paying for shipping, it works out to be an awesome deal.  One of my other favorites is E'town Gun in Elizabethtown.  While it may be a very small store, they tend to have better prices than anyone else.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Western Kentucky (Paducah Area) :

Elite Firearms

Mikes

Shooters Supply

Dunns Sporting Goods

I know I live in Illinois but I do my buisness in KY. All these guys are top notch. Elite is a member of the board I believe....

Elite in Boaz?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Elite in Boaz?

Yep, that's Jason Ferren and his boys. Bought my subgun there.
Link Posted: 1/14/2005 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I finally went to Shooter's Supply in Louisville this week.  It was nice and had a pretty good selection, but I didn't think it was in the same league with Whittaker's, either in terms of selection, variety or prices (especially prices).

Bren
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#40]
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE STORES IN THE LEXINGTON AREA.
Names and address of the stores if you would please. at the very least a phone number so I can call and get the address. Hell through in the Louisville area. Work is going to take to those area the next two weeks. I like to check out the other store.  
Thanks coppercollarworker
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#41]
The new showroom at KY Imports in Louisville is GREAT. They have one of everything out in the showroom near I265 and KY146 exit in Louisville. Hours at 11-5 M-F and call ahead on Saturday as they are occassionally open 10-2:00.

They also had a bunch of "Specials" there. The specials were obviously purchased at police confiscation auctions. There were several handguns of various manufacturers with black electrical tape on the grips. I've always wanted a handgun with black tape on the grip.

www.kyimports.com

Though I like the hours at Shooters Supply open seven days and I try to buy there just because I browse so much.
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE STORES IN THE LEXINGTON AREA.

Antique & Modern Firearms
2263 Nicholasville Rd  
859-276-1419

Evans Firearms & Archery
117 Southland Dr
859-277-7770

The Gun Site
4013 Nicholasville Rd
859-271-3332

Fayette Firearms
Don't know the address or number, but it's on New Circle road on the north end of town.

Classic Arms & Archery
It's on Southland Dr, just a bit down the road from Evans, but on the other side of the street.

Bud's Gun Shop
4119 Lexington Rd
Paris, Ky
859-987-9929
Link Posted: 1/16/2005 5:38:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Thanks Wildcat

Now for some in the Louisville Area.

Thanks coppercollarworker
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 4:11:56 AM EDT
[#44]
BIG +1  On whittakers!  I am usually in there once a week or so.  Very BUSY on the weekends.  Well worth the trip.  Anybody heading this way PM me and I'll meet cha for some shooting and Point ya' at some Good BBQ and Ice cold Beer.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/22/2005 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#45]
My  personal fav's:

The Gunsite - Lexington....operated by Don. He will deal with you. Nice selection, quick turnover of used firearms. Often has AR lowers, stripped or assembled. Prices are the best in town.

Antique and Modern - Lexington.... Good selection, many collectibles and will try to find that hard to come by item you are craving.

Bud's - Paris...has great selection of new handguns, rifles shotguns.... many high end shotguns.. Also specials on shotgun ammo. Been in central KY for a loooong time....and will deal....best gun safe prices in all surrounding states.

Whittaker Guns - Western side of Owensboro, out in country. (on way to my son's house in Henderson...good excuse for trip) ABSOLUTELY the most firearms under one roof in Kentucky..good prices -open 7 days a week. Worth the trip.

These are the cream of the crop for me but gotta include ...

J and T/DoubleStar... Winchester   Not open to public...but if you need AR 15 stuff/parts-kits-etc this is the place to get it. They market/manuf for many other brand name places.

thanx,   Ken
Link Posted: 1/23/2005 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#46]
With the help of wildcat, I started a list of Kentucky Gun Shops and Indoor ranges. With the input from others AR'ers I will fill in the blanks and list other Kentucky gun stores.  And maybe with help from the moderator for Kentucky we can have a locked topic for Kentucky Gun Shop

KENTUCKY GUN SHOP
UPDATED 01/31/05

Northern Kentucky Area

Shooter Supply
4147 Madison Pike
Covington, Kentucky 41017
(859) 356-3300
INDOOR RIFLE AND PISTOL RANGE COMMING IN 2005

Marks Guns
7413 Dixie Hwy.
Florence, Kentucky 41042
(859) 525-6466
INDOOR PISTOL RANGE

RLC Guns
7199 Turfway Road
Florence, Kentucky 41042
(859) 371-3900

Glaubers Sporting Goods & Firearms
106 Fourth Ave.
Carrollton, Kentucky  41008
(502) 732-4005

Louisville Area

KY Imports
13130 Magisterial Drive
Louisville, KY  40223
502 244-4400
email – [email protected]
www.kyimports.com

Shooters Supply & Law Enforcement Equipment Co.
8007 Vine Crest Ave #8
Louisville, Kentucky 40222
www.shooterssupply.org
email - [email protected]

Lexington Area

The Gun Site
4013 Nicholasville Road
Lexington, Kentucky 40503
859 271-3332

Bud’s Gun and Indoor Range
4119 Lexington Road
Paris, Kentucky
859 987-9929
INDOOR PISTOL RANGE

Antique & Modern Firearms Inc.
2263 Nicholasville Road
859 276-1419
www.am-firearms.com

Evans Firearms & Archery
117 Southland Drive
859 277-7770

Fayette Firearms
490 E New Circle Road
Lexington, Kentucky 40505
859 389-8831
www.fayettefirearmsky.com

Classic Arms & Archery
268 Southland Drive
859 278-8370

Wild Cody's Gun & Pawn
120 S Keeneland Dr
Richmond, KY
(859) 623-9505

EASTERN KENTUCKY

Thunder Guns  
222 State Route 1947
Grayson, KY 41143
Web site: www.thunderguns.com

J&B
Morehead, KY

Borders
Ashland, KY

Western Kentucky Area

Whittaker's
6976 W Louisville Ln.
Owensboro, KY

Elite Firearms
Boaz?

Mikes

Dunns Sporting Goods

Frankfort Area

Gilbert's
www.gilbertsguns.com

Link Posted: 1/23/2005 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Here's another for the Lexington area, good guy, decent selection.  Usually has a couple of Bushmasters and a Doublestar on the wall as soon as you walk in the door:

Wild Cody's Gun & Pawn  
120 S Keeneland Dr
Richmond, KY
(859) 623-9505
Link Posted: 1/23/2005 5:58:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Tag.

Going to Ashland in April.
Link Posted: 1/28/2005 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#49]
You guys are forgeting Shep Sports world, its a nice shop.

Every once and while when the smith gets loaded down I do smithing there.

You Morehead Area guys wanna get out and through some lead????
Link Posted: 1/29/2005 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#50]
I'd have to put in another vote for Classic Arms, they're probably the best store in town.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top