Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2003 7:13:02 PM EDT
Let me edit this so it makes more sense (maybe :)).

I'm moving to Kentucky as we speak (Northern KY) and need to register my car.  It was registered in VA.

If I'm reading the KY websites correctly, I have to pay *6%* the value of my car as a "usage tax" and then pay property tax on the car.  Is that correct?  I'm trying to find out how much the property tax will be, but hopefully not that much.

I can't believe how much car insurance is here.  It's nearly doubling for me (27 yr old never had an accident haven't had a ticket in 7 years and driving a 5 yr old car) and I came from DC!

Ah well, people seem nice though. :)
Link Posted: 4/20/2003 2:53:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I was born, raised, and lived for 27 years in South East Ky, and it was expensive as all get out.
I plan on coming back Home to KY when I retire or find a job there like I have now, but I am dreading the transferring, registration, plates, and insurance for my vehicles.
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Dude, you are FUCKED!

KY, as in KY Jelly to screw you, is incredibly expensive.  One more reason I moved back to the great state of Texas.

Do not forget about the income tax either.  Just another way to screw the working man and feed the welfare babies.

Why would you be moving to KY from VA anyway?
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 5:45:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Having just made that move myself from VA to KY and dealing with the car registration I think you will find it is similiar to the screwing you get on Virginia car taxes.  The only thing that irked me is that if you have a used car with high miles (I am a road trip addict) you will not get any adjustment for high mileage the first year.  

The insurance, however, is absolutely outrageous!!  Does ANYONE know why it is so high in Kentucky???  
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#4]
When I retired from the Army I went from tax free tags in Tn and had to register my vehicles in KY as the Tn tags expired. It didn't hurt TOO bad because they didn't expire all at once but the new tags expire on your birth month. The following year I had to pay tags and property tax on 7 vehicles all at once. Talk about painfull.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 11:47:03 AM EDT
[#5]
SC-Texas,

I work for the airlines at CVG.  I've been commuting from DC to Cinci for about 6 months and am tired of it.  I figured I might as well live where I work to improve the quality of life.  I think it will be overall cheaper living in KY than in NoVA due to the fact rent/homes are MUCH less expsensive than DC.  And besides, there's NO traffic here!!!  That in itself is worth a couple of grand :)  I wish I were back in Texas too (North Texas for 10 years!!  Man I miss it!)

Miss_Magnum...

after yelling at Geico demanding a good reason as to why my rate will almost double by moving to KY, they told me it is due to the number of claims they get in the state.  They said some insurance companies won't even insure around here.  I find that hard to believe, but they didn't seem to care that I was going to shop around for a better deal (if it exists).
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:54:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Call Liberty Mutual, they had the best rate in KY and I still have them in Ohio.
The auto insurance is so high due to the lawsuits and vehicle burning to collect insurance pay-off.
The area I am from is notorious for that shit and I will tell you don't get into an accident in South Eastern Ky. If you do I will give you my condolences now, you could cash a million dollar check at the bank written on the fact you are going to be sued.
When you call the auto insurance just ask them you are planning to move in or around the area you have chosen, and which county has the best rates. They will give you that info and maybe that would help you decide what county to move to closest to your work, family etc..
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:40:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Dude, you are FUCKED!

KY, as in KY Jelly to screw you, is incredibly expensive.  One more reason I moved back to the great state of Texas.

Do not forget about the income tax either.  Just another way to screw the working man and feed the welfare babies.

Why would you be moving to KY from VA anyway?

Only two things come out of Texas, steers and...
j/k   ...and you won't find "Dixie Clits" types slamming the Pres around here. Nothing but support for our troops and the war.

Patriot328,
Yes, auto insurance is high, unfortunately.
What are you being quoted for insurance?
Year and Type car?

When I moved back to the Bluegrass, I did a lot of research and State Farm Insurance Company (believe it or not) turned out to be the best bang for the buck. It will lower your auto rates to also insure house, etc. with the same insurance company.

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:17:28 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife is a property & casualty agent based in downtown Cinci. She's licensed in KY with the reciprocity agreement, but they will not write any business in KY at all because of the screwy laws. For example, KY charges personal property tax on insurance policies!

Good luck with the move. You'll like the Cincinnati area, although downtown sucks major dookie.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:50:58 AM EDT
[#9]
You may find it better to move across the river and commute to CVG.  Here, there is a flat rate on auto registration.  For my truck with veteran plates, it runs just shy of $50/yr.  As far as insurance goes, our rate for one new car and one old (full coverage on both) with State Farm is around $1200/yr.  Don't know how that compares with DC or KY, but it may help some.

Good luck!

Edited to add...when you get settled in, drop me a line and we'll get together for a little shooting.  I'm anxiously awaiting the return of my CAV-15...3000rds of ammo to burn and no rifle just sucks...especially with the nice weather now.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Red-Leg,

Too late I've already moved into KY.  Crestview Hills area (hope the Kenton County sherrif is "Form 4 Friendly".  I'd like to get into that, but didn't have the time to research it before I moved out here).

I'd like to get together with some of the people from around here sometime.  I need to find a place to shoot!  My colt n bushy are feeling neglected.

Patriot
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:53:04 AM EDT
[#11]
By now you've already likely registered your car, but the initial registration use tax can be minimized by showing that you previously paid sales tax on the vehicle in another state.

As far as shooting in Kentucky, there is a public range north of Frankfort and 4 ranges in the Daniel Boone national forest areas.  These might be a bit of a haul from Northern Kentucky, but are generally very nice ranges with $3-5 / day usage fees.  Here's some information:  
http://www.southernregion.fs.fed.us/boone/shoot.htm

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top