Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2022 3:51:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Scanned through it quickly.
Does this mean it will still be fine to have for example spare parts like a BCM upper and extra BCG?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#2]
i cant concentrate enough  my brain is spinning after the first hundred pages.  

ill read it better tomorrow.

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#3]
[b]The § 478.12 Definition of Frame or Receiver starts on page 324.
View Quote

Sweet Jesus...it takes THAT many pages to "clarify" things??????  No wonder the government can't get anything done.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Scanned through it quickly.
Does this mean it will still be fine to have for example spare parts like a BCM upper and extra BCG?
View Quote

It does not apply to you nor parts
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 6:52:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Pistol
The term “frame” means the part of a handgun, or variants thereof, that
provides housing or a structure for the primary energized component designed to hold
back the
hammer, striker, bolt, or similar component prior to initiation of the firing
sequence (i.e., sear or equivalent), even if pins or other attachments are required to
connect such component to the housing or structure.
View Quote

How is that not a firing pin spring, making a Glock slide the receiver?
The only spring not inside the slide is the trigger spring. That's not a "primary energized component" as it's not even necessary for function.

Rifle
The term “receiver” means the part of a rifle, shotgun, or projectile weapon
other than a handgun, or variants thereof, that provides housing or a structure for the
primary component designed to block or seal the breech prior to initiation of the firing
sequence
(i.e., bolt, breechblock, or equivalent), even if pins or other attachments are
required to connect such component to the housing or structure.
View Quote

How is this not an AR15 upper receiver?

Also, I find it extremely odd that in all the given rifle examples (10 of them) the AR15 isn't used. It's easily the most popular rifle in the entire country. By design?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#6]
1. The striker sear is in the frame, so the definition applies.

2. The regulation specifically states that AR15-pattern rifles are exempt and grandfathered in. The regulation applies to future determinations.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 8:17:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
1. The striker sear is in the frame, so the definition applies.
It says "primary energized component designed to hold back". It's not listing the sear as a component needed to be housed in said receiver.
2. The regulation specifically states that AR15-pattern rifles are exempt and grandfathered in. The regulation applies to future determinations.
That's regardless of the fact it defines the upper as the receiver. It also doesn't answer why the most popular rifle in the US, and arguably the reason why this is even happening, isn't used as an example.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2022 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#8]
For #1, it's all in how you read it:

The term “frame” means the part of a handgun, or variants thereof, that
provides housing or a structure for the primary energized component designed to hold
back the
hammer, striker, bolt, or similar component prior to initiation of the firing
sequence (i.e., sear or equivalent), even if pins or other attachments are required to
connect such component to the housing or structure.
View Quote

That's a sear. This definition actually makes sense.

As for #2, ATF gonna ATF.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pistol

How is that not a firing pin spring, making a Glock slide the receiver?
The only spring not inside the slide is the trigger spring. That's not a "primary energized component" as it's not even necessary for function.

Rifle

How is this not an AR15 upper receiver?

Also, I find it extremely odd that in all the given rifle examples (10 of them) the AR15 isn't used. It's easily the most popular rifle in the entire country. By design?
View Quote

Keep reading. They explain (among a number of firearms) Glocks and AR-15's. From page 325, 326 and 331:

"(4) The following are nonexclusive examples that illustrate the above definitions:
(iii) Glock variant striker-fired semiautomatic pistols: The frame is the lower portion of the pistol, or grip, that provides housing for the sear."

"The following is a nonexclusive list of such weapons and the specific part determined by the Director to be the firearm frame or receiver as they existed on that date:
(i) AR-15/M-16 variant firearms: The receiver is the lower part of the weapon that provides housing for the trigger mechanism and hammer (i.e., lower receiver)."

Also in the PDF the ATF states the AR-15 is one of the most popular firearms in this country. From page 5.

"In the past few years, some courts have treated the regulatory definition of “firearm frame or receiver” as inflexible when applied to the lower portion of the AR-15-type rifle, one of the most popular firearms in the United States."
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#10]
@sbhaven
That's irrelevant of my point.
None of their shit makes sense and contradicts another phrase/clause, just like most of the other gun laws.

Just hoping for some positive outcomes, with future lawsuits.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's irrelevant of my point.
None of their shit makes sense and contradicts another phrase/clause, just like most of the other gun laws.
View Quote

No its no irrelevant. They explicitly name Glock and explain which part is the frame (not the slide) because it holds the sear. They explicitly grandfather the AR-15 by saying the lower is the receiver/frame.

And yes the entire PDF is confusing as hell. They use a number of existing firearms as examples, and those examples may not follow the new rules they detail in the PDF. Its new designs that are going to be the issue and where the confusion really starts over what is the receiver/frame and what has to be serialized.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top