Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2022 9:09:15 PM EDT
Can a permit holder carry in a state forest? This should be a simple question I thought.

I keep reading the laws but I feel like I’m just going in circles. It says no but with exceptions or DEEP links CT regs which just references general statutes.

I always thought you could. Someone just told me I cant. I am confused.

The person telling me I cant sent me this guidance letter. Does the highlighted section mean anyone with a permit to carry pistols/revolvers is exempt or otherwise has DEEP authorization?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 5:43:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From what I remember, there is some convoluted interpretation where in addition to needing a carry permit for pistols or revolvers you'd be limited to 22LR as the largest caliber, and you must also possess a valid hunting license, and there must be a currently open season for something that can be taken with 22LR or smaller.

Now that may no longer be the case, but that's what I remember the discussion being back when Obama signed a law that allowed carry in national parks - because CT's forests are generally state, and not national, or some strange shared situation.

Iirc @JAD dug through all the statutes
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
From what I remember, there is some convoluted interpretation where in addition to needing a carry permit for pistols or revolvers you'd be limited to 22LR as the largest caliber, and you must also possess a valid hunting license, and there must be a currently open season for something that can be taken with 22LR or smaller.

Now that may no longer be the case, but that's what I remember the discussion being back when Obama signed a law that allowed carry in national parks - because CT's forests are generally state, and not national, or some strange shared situation.

Iirc @JAD dug through all the statutes

The only time that (any type) of firearm may be possessed or carried in a Connecticut State Forest is as a lawful hunting implement. Rifles and pistols, up to .22 cal rimfire, can only be used to hunt certain small game species on state land. In addition to a hunting license, hunters using a pistol/revolver would also need a permit to carry. Obviously hunting season limitations would apply along with any other location specific regulations, and all the other applicable hunting regulations.

Here is an excerpt from the hunting/trapping guide:

Rifles and Handguns - Rifles or handguns using ammunition larger than .22 caliber rimfire are prohibited on state-owned land. Rifles or handguns of any caliber are prohibited on State-leased and Permit-Required Hunting Areas (see Permit-Required and State-Leased Hunting Area sections for exceptions). The use of rifles or handguns to hunt turkeys, waterfowl, or any other federally regulated migratory game bird (except crows) is prohibited. Hunting on private land with ammunition larger than .22 caliber rimfire long rifle during the private land shotgun/rifle deer season is prohibited unless the user has a valid private land deer season permit and landowner consent form. The use of rifles or revolvers to hunt deer is subject to additional restrictions (see Private Land Shotgun/Rifle Season). The use of ammunition larger than .22 caliber rimfire to hunt raccoon or opossum at night is prohibited. A person using a handgun for hunting must possess any required state/town permits to carry. Note: It is legal to use .17 caliber rimfire firearms in all situations where it is legal to use .22 caliber rimfire firearms.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 5:58:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Can a permit holder carry in a state forest?
View Quote

In a state forests? Generally NO, except in places specifically allowed by DEEP (gun ranges in state forests). Supposedly a $75 infraction, but who knows if they'll take it farther and confiscate gun and permit. DEEP may also evict the person for 24 hours from the park. And DEEP has the option, per state law, to prohibit the person from entering any state park for up to a year.
In a national parks? Yes, subject to state laws and permit reciprocity. Which ultimately likely means in CT it is a NO if DEEP manages the National Park in conjunction with the National Park Service.
In city or town parks? Check the city or town local ordinances, larger cities/towns typically ban guns in their city/town parks.
The fact that they try to propose (and it's usually laughed out of committee by gun hating Democrats) carry in state parks every year or two should be what is known as a "clue".

An Office of Legislative Research Doc from 2020: Carrying Handguns in Connecticut State Parks or Forests

Section 23-4-1
(c) Hunting/weapons.
Hunting or carrying of firearms, archery equipment or other weapons, including but not limited to air rifles and slingshots, is not permitted in any state park or forest except as authorized by the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. All carrying or use of weapons is subject to applicable provisions of the Connecticut General Statutes and regulations adopted thereunder.

Section 26-66-2
(a) Any rifle or handgun using centerfire ammunition may not be used to hunt on state-owned land. Any rifle or handgun that uses rim fire ammunition larger than .22 caliber and shotgun ammunition of loads larger or heavier than number two shot shall not be possessed or used for the purposes of hunting as defined in section 26-1 of the Connecticut General Statutes on any state-owned land, including state forests.

Section 26-66-2
(d) Hunting or possession of any hunting weapon is prohibited in any park or forest recreation area except at predetermined times in such areas as are set aside by the commissioner or the commissioner’s designee and posted for such purposes.

Section 23-4-5
(b) Penalties.
(1) Any person who violates any provision of sections 23-4-1 through 23-4-4, inclusive, of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies shall have committed an infraction.
(2)(A) Any person who violates any provision of sections 23-4-1 to 23-4-4, inclusive, of these regulations shall pay a fine of thirty five-dollars ($35.00).
(B) Any person who enters a state park or forest during an eviction period in violation of subsection (a) of this section shall pay a fine of seventy-five dollars ($75.00).

Sec. 23-4. Regulations for preservation and protection. Penalties. Alcoholic beverages in state parks and forests. Taking of mushrooms. Liability.
(a) The Commissioner of Energy and Environmental Protection may adopt regulations in accordance with the provisions of chapter 54 for the maintenance of order, safety and sanitation upon the lands under the commissioner's control and for the protection of trees and other property and the preservation of the natural beauty thereof and fix penalties not exceeding a fine of ninety dollars for violation of such regulations. The commissioner may prohibit the possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages on such lands provided, for any such lands where the consumption or possession of alcoholic beverages was not prohibited by the commissioner as of October 1, 1999, the commissioner shall adopt regulations, in accordance with the provisions of chapter 54, to prohibit such activity. Such regulations shall be posted in conspicuous places upon such lands. Any person who violates any such regulation shall have committed an infraction and may pay the fine by mail or plead not guilty under the provisions of section 51-164n. The provisions of section 51-164m shall not apply to this section. Any person convicted of a violation of such regulations or who forfeits a bond taken upon any such complaint may be prohibited from entering any state park by the commissioner for not more than one year from the date of such conviction.

2022 Connecticut Hunting and Trapping Guide
2022 Connecticut Hunting and Trapping Guide (downloadable PDF)

Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Additionally, this also means you can't carry on any trail because trails are part of State Parks in CT .
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow, thats exceptionally retarded. Thanks for clarifying guys.

Link Posted: 3/16/2022 9:50:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Concealed means concealed.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I agreed
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:58:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Concealed means concealed.
View Quote
This. Big time.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:15:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Just remember.  
Coyote is open all year.
Rimfire handguns (22lr, 22mag, 17hmr) are legal coyote weapons.

No hunting on Sundays.  
Orange is required from Sept 1st-Dec 31st & Jan 1st to Feb 28 & 9th.  

Bunch of other non game animals as well that are legal to hunt.  

Doesn't help outside of legal hunting areas, but I try.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I’m not hunting but wish to protect myself and family members if attacked by a rogue chipmunk or visiting mountain lion that we all know are not in CT ??. I remember in my teens with my cousin seeing one in the hills behind the DMV in Waterbury back in the 90’s.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Hell, I saw two bobcats fighting each other in Woodbridge last year near a major road.

If it's concealed no one knows you have it, right?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If it's concealed no one knows you have it, right?
View Quote

I agree. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

One area of concern I can think of to be warry of is a medical emergency. Let's say someone was out hiking in a state forest. They have an accident or a medical event. Assistance is summoned and what was concealed is discovered. Likely a low probability of occurrence but something to consider.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#13]
So all the walking rail trails are considered State forest?  The ones near Willimantic have sketchy homeless folks and probably worse.  I don't like my wife walking there, but it's close to her office.  Worst case on the rare instance - if somehow someone noticed her carrying (not very likely) - what are the the fines?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 5:40:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So all the walking rail trails are considered State forest?  The ones near Willimantic have sketchy homeless folks and probably worse.  I don't like my wife walking there, but it's close to her office.  Worst case on the rare instance - if somehow someone noticed her carrying (not very likely) - what are the the fines?
View Quote

Likely any park, forest or trail managed by DEEP would fall under the ban on weapons. There are something like 110 state parks and 32 state forests.
List of CT State Parks and Forests
Deep Recreational Trail Use Information

The general infraction and fine(s), and relevant link to rule/statute, was previously posted up thread (post #3). The initial fine is $35, if one is prohibited from the park, forest or trail by DEEP then it's a $75 fine. Note that SLFU/DESPP could possibly revoke one's pistol permit "for cause" if they so desire.

Section 23-4-5

(b) Penalties.
(1) Any person who violates any provision of sections 23-4-1 through 23-4-4, inclusive, of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies shall have committed an infraction.
(2)(A) Any person who violates any provision of sections 23-4-1 to 23-4-4, inclusive, of these regulations shall pay a fine of thirty five-dollars ($35.00).
(B) Any person who enters a state park or forest during an eviction period in violation of subsection (a) of this section shall pay a fine of seventy-five dollars ($75.00).
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Not worth the risk and headache if caught. Sure you may get sympathetic LEO who just will give you a break, and tell you to leave the area and don't carry there next time, or you get a rookie who just caught a "person with a gun", good luck then.

Very easy to spot others who have pew-pew on them if you know what to look for. It's how people carry themselves and how they walk. How many times you see someone in a store and automatically know they're carrying?

Research areas of trails you're planning to hike. Litchfield county trails are pretty safe. Never ran into sketchy people up there on a trail. Carry bear spray for four legged predators if you wish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top