Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2022 1:53:10 PM EDT
Have a friend that just moved to CT. He's trying to determine if he can take possession of a 11in barreled 7 62x39 CZ Bren 2 chambered in 7.62x39 with a fixed brace (I believe he said OAL falls over the "other" definition for CT). I know it'll be considered a assault weapon so would have to limit mag cap to 10 rounds but I believe since his wife is military he can have him at their house or as long as they attend range together.

Being a multiple NFA stamp collector I'm pretty versed in Ky state and BATF federal laws, but know diddly about CT specific laws and he's not knowledgeable enough to know how to ask these specifics and I don't like him enough to read through multiple pages for him.

Any advice appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Have a friend that just moved to CT. He's trying to determine if he can take possession of a 11in barreled 7 62x39 CZ Bren 2 chambered in 7.62x39 with a fixed brace (I believe he said OAL falls over the "other" definition for CT). I know it'll be considered a assault weapon so would have to limit mag cap to 10 rounds but I believe since his wife is military he can have him at their house or as long as they attend range together.

Being a multiple NFA stamp collector I'm pretty versed in Ky state and BATF federal laws, but know diddly about CT specific laws and he's not knowledgeable enough to know how to ask these specifics and I don't like him enough to read through multiple pages for him.

Any advice appreciated.
View Quote

Not an expert on the military thing and how that impacts CT law, however, generally speaking--in addition to the OAL requirement, barrel has to be @ least 12" to be considered an "other."  Pinning the muzzle device on an 11" should get it over that easily.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Like the previous poster indicated under 12 inch barrel means it's a pistol per CT's definitions. Who ever is the owner of the firearm would have to be active duty military or some other exempted class person to bring in a firearm that CT classifies as an assault weapon. CT's AWB considers any post 9/13/94 manufactured semiautomatic detachable magazine pistol with the detachable magazine outside the pistol grip to be an assault weapon (among other things). As the previous poster indicated one would have to pin some kind of muzzle device/extension on the pistol barrel to get it over 12 inches, but then one runs into any OAL or barrel length issues set forth in ATF rules/federal law(s) for "others" or SBR/AOW/tax stamp territory. Also note that CT has a magazine ban. Some of the CT statutes touching on your question follows. One may want to consult a knowledgeable CT firearms lawyer to get legal answers/opinions to your questions.

Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definitions.
Sec. 53-202c. Possession of assault weapon prohibited. Exemptions. Class D felony.
Sec. 53-202d. Certificate of possession of assault weapon. Certificate of transfer of assault weapon to gun dealer. Circumstances where possession of assault weapon authorized.
(d) Any person who moves into the state in lawful possession of an assault weapon, shall, within ninety days, either render the assault weapon permanently inoperable, sell the assault weapon to a licensed gun dealer or remove the assault weapon from this state, except that any person who is a member of the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States, is in lawful possession of an assault weapon and has been transferred into the state after October 1, 1994, may, within ninety days of arriving in the state, apply to the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection for a certificate of possession with respect to such assault weapon.

Sec. 53-202w. Large capacity magazines. Definitions. Sale, transfer or possession prohibited. Exceptions.
Sec. 53-202x. Declaration of possession of large capacity magazine. Regulations.
(d) Any person who moves into the state in lawful possession of a large capacity magazine shall, within ninety days, either render the large capacity magazine permanently inoperable, sell the large capacity magazine to a licensed gun dealer or remove the large capacity magazine from this state, except that any person who is a member of the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States, is in lawful possession of a large capacity magazine and has been transferred into the state after January 1, 2014, may, within ninety days of arriving in the state, apply to the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection to declare possession of such large capacity magazine.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#3]
His wife should buy all the non-compliant stuff from him, easy fix.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top