Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2022 8:25:55 AM EDT
Just to make sure I'm reading things correctly, the blade restrictions in CT (i.e. blade length, automatic knives, etc.) only apply to carrying/transport of them outside the home.  Essentially, as long as it stays at home, you can purchase/own whatever you want.

Correct or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you are correct.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes. I've bought otf knives from stores in CT. All the restrictions come from carrying them. 1st responders do get a different set of knife rules as well, not sure of specifics though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]
ill add this from what i understand.
a dangerous weapon is 4" or longer, auto etc...
you can carry a dangerous weapon while actively hunting fishing with a hunting fishing license...

not a lawyer...

which CT shops sell OTF's?  ive been thinking about a microtech
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you can carry a dangerous weapon while actively hunting fishing with a hunting fishing license...

not a lawyer...

View Quote

CT guns in Middletown sells Templar OTF knives. Unsure if they sell Microtech too. Templar knife is based out of Texas.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#5]
If anyone cares they can read the legaleze of knife carrying in the following statute.

Sec. 53-206. Carrying of dangerous weapons prohibited.

(a) Any person who carries upon his or her person any BB. gun, blackjack, metal or brass knuckles, or any dirk knife, or any switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which a blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches in length, or stiletto, or any knife the edged portion of the blade of which is four inches or more in length, any police baton or nightstick, or any martial arts weapon or electronic defense weapon, as defined in section 53a-3, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, shall be guilty of a class E felony. Whenever any person is found guilty of a violation of this section, any weapon or other instrument within the provisions of this section, found upon the body of such person, shall be forfeited to the municipality wherein such person was apprehended, notwithstanding any failure of the judgment of conviction to expressly impose such forfeiture.

(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to (1) any officer charged with the preservation of the public peace while engaged in the pursuit of such officer's official duties; (2) the carrying of a baton or nightstick by a security guard while engaged in the pursuit of such guard's official duties; (3) the carrying of a knife, the edged portion of the blade of which is four inches or more in length, by (A) any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined in section 27-103, or any reserve component thereof, or of the armed forces of the state, as defined in section 27-2, when on duty or going to or from duty, (B) any member of any military organization when on parade or when going to or from any place of assembly, (C) any person while transporting such knife as merchandise or for display at an authorized gun or knife show, (D) any person who is found with any such knife concealed upon one's person while lawfully removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another, or from one residence to another, (E) any person while actually and peaceably engaged in carrying any such knife from such person's place of abode or business to a place or person where or by whom such knife is to be repaired, or while actually and peaceably returning to such person's place of abode or business with such knife after the same has been repaired, (F) any person holding a valid hunting, fishing or trapping license issued pursuant to chapter 490 or any saltwater fisherman carrying such knife for lawful hunting, fishing or trapping activities, or (G) any person while participating in an authorized historic reenactment; (4) the carrying by any person enrolled in or currently attending, or an instructor at, a martial arts school of a martial arts weapon while in a class or at an authorized event or competition or while transporting such weapon to or from such class, event or competition; (5) the carrying of a BB. gun by any person taking part in a supervised event or competition of the Boy Scouts of America or the Girl Scouts of America or in any other authorized event or competition while taking part in such event or competition or while transporting such weapon to or from such event or competition; and (6) the carrying of a BB. gun by any person upon such person's own property or the property of another person provided such other person has authorized the carrying of such weapon on such property, and the transporting of such weapon to or from such property.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:24:09 AM EDT
[#6]
SMH...Another of many reasons I chose to leave the State long ago! In-other-words: Don't protect yourself with anything!
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
SMH...Another of many reasons I chose to leave the State long ago! In-other-words: Don't protect yourself with anything!
View Quote

Connecticut is actually fairly reasonable about knife carry laws, especially when compared to some of the states in regions that are traditionally considerd more friendly.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

not a lawyer...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

not a lawyer...

The hunting/fishing/trapping exemptions only covers knives that are dangerous weapons based on having a blade with an edged portion over 4". It does not cover knives that are dangerous weapons on account of being daggers, dirks, stilettos, gravity knives, or automatics. Likewise, the hunting/fishing/trapping exemption does not cover other types of dangerous weapons either.

Please see the exemptions section from 53-206 below:

(3) the carrying of a knife, the edged portion of the blade of which is four inches or more in length, by (A) any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined in section 27-103, or any reserve component thereof, or of the armed forces of the state, as defined in section 27-2, when on duty or going to or from duty, (B) any member of any military organization when on parade or when going to or from any place of assembly, (C) any person while transporting such knife as merchandise or for display at an authorized gun or knife show, (D) any person who is found with any such knife concealed upon one's person while lawfully removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another, or from one residence to another, (E) any person while actually and peaceably engaged in carrying any such knife from such person's place of abode or business to a place or person where or by whom such knife is to be repaired, or while actually and peaceably returning to such person's place of abode or business with such knife after the same has been repaired, (F) any person holding a valid hunting, fishing or trapping license issued pursuant to chapter 490 or any saltwater fisherman carrying such knife for lawful hunting, fishing or trapping activities, or (G) any person while participating in an authorized historic reenactment;
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top