Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2021 7:28:45 PM EDT
is the state police allowing in person permit renewals? just wondering as it so much easier.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Renewels are strictly mail in.
Send paperwork, picture and have paperwork Notorized.

A quick trip to your local UPS store can handle the whole job.

Do it as soon as soon as you get it in the mail, the state is very slow to process it.

I think there is a one month grace period after it expires.
You can carry , but can't purchase that month.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 6:44:33 AM EDT
[#2]
It’s actually a 90 day grace period and then the governor tacked on another 90 days on top of that when they shut down in person renewals.  It took close to 2 months to get mine back so get it in ASAP.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Renewels are strictly mail in.
Send paperwork, picture and have paperwork Notorized.

A quick trip to your local UPS store can handle the whole job.

Do it as soon as soon as you get it in the mail, the state is very slow to process it.

I think there is a one month grace period after it expires.
You can carry , but can't purchase that month.
View Quote

AAA can also handle the picture and notary
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
is the state police allowing in person permit renewals? just wondering as it so much easier.
View Quote

No. Pistol permit renewals are currently by mail only. It's stated right on SLFU's website.

https://portal.ct.gov/DESPP/Division-of-State-Police/Special-Licensing-and-Firearms/Special-Licensing-and-Firearms
https://portal.ct.gov/DESPP/Division-of-State-Police/Special-Licensing-and-Firearms/State-Pistol-Permit

They are including a notice in recent renewal notices stating that the renewal is by mail only and that you may not drop it off in person and that you cannot come in to renew in person.

Further the notice states that the 90 day extension to the statutory 90 day grace period is no longer in effect. Meaning one only has 90 days after their permit expires NOT 180 days.

There is a post over on CTGT that has a picture of this notice.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
AAA can also handle the picture and notary
View Quote

Or one can just do the picture themselves if they have a good printer and some photo paper. If one doesn't have a good printer, go to CVS/Walgreens/Walmart/etc. and pint out the photo for less than a $0.50. There are a number of mobile apps as well as the Department of State website (https://tsg.phototool.state.gov/photo) that will crop a photo to passport size. Just take the picture like one would for a normal passport type photo, against a solid white/cream/light blue/etc. colored wall. Did it myself for my last permit renewal no issues.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It’s actually a 90 day grace period and then the governor tacked on another 90 days on top of that when they shut down in person renewals.  It took close to 2 months to get mine back so get it in ASAP.
View Quote

The governor rescinded the extra 90 days on permit extensions with EO 12B on May 20, 2021. So it's now just the statutory 90 days not 180 that it was earlier this year.

Edit to add: And like so many things, not sure why SLFU hasn't prominently updated their website (pages) to include the fact that the extra 90 day permit extension has been removed/rescinded. Only place I've seen it mentioned is for new permit applicants on this page: https://portal.ct.gov/DESPP/Division-of-State-Police/Special-Licensing-and-Firearms/Announcement-for-New-Pistol-Permit-Applicants-Only-20210422

"Effective May 20th, the 90-day extension on temporary permits will no longer be honored.  AFTER May 20th, each applicant must appear in person to receive the state permit (60 days from the date of issuance of the temporary permit)."
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I sent mine 7/7 and haven't heard shit.
I'm runnin low on patience.

Anyone got a phone number to call?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I sent mine in shortly after nothing either...
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 5:16:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don’t remember the number, but I specifically remember the recoding saying don’t call on pistol permit renewal updates.  It said 6-8 weeks minimum on all renewals, then auto hung up.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 6:20:30 AM EDT
[#10]
1 800 GOOD LUCK
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 6:31:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don’t remember the number, but I specifically remember the recoding saying don’t call on pistol permit renewal updates.  It said 6-8 weeks minimum on all renewals, then auto hung up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I got a few weeks ago @ 8weeks.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 8:31:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

They aren't going to tell you the status unfortunately. They are now warning people apparently via notices in renewal letter that they are unable to determine where in the process one's renewal is. Per that notice:

"Permits will be processed in the order in which they were received. Once you mail it in, please note that we are unable to determine where in the process you are."
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:13:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They aren't going to tell you the status unfortunately. They are now warning people apparently via notices in renewal letter that they are unable to determine where in the process one's renewal is. Per that notice:

"Permits will be processed in the order in which they were received. Once you mail it in, please note that we are unable to determine where in the process you are."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Well let's see, I just mailed in my renewal today so the calendar is marked.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I can't wait until someone who's been waiting on a silencer with the NFA for 9+ months is unable to have it transferred to them when the tax stamp is approved because the state hasn't sent them their renewed permit yet.  Mine's up for renewal in February and I'm already getting anxiety about it from friends who've been waiting for theirs.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I would recommend for everyone to just go and send renewal forms 7-8 months before permit is set to expire. Don't wait until you receive letter from State for a renewal. No point to stress about it. I believe forms are available online to download and print.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top