[#1]
Dupe
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:02:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Could be a rough ride boys...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#3]
How is that even possible  with most of the state just getting a tropical storm ?
Almost 70% of the state without power for up to two weeks .

Yeah that don't sound right
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 11:00:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How is that even possible  with most of the state just getting a tropical storm ?

View Quote

Your right, that doesn’t sound right......21 days is three, not two weeks
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 6:23:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its very possible if the wind/storm damage is wide spread enough. Bring down enough lines over a large area and it could take them weeks to bring everyone back up. Finite resources also at work (linemen, trucks, equipment, etc.) People typically are only thinking about their house, they forget all the OTHER homes without power. If a lot of homes have lines down from the pole to the house that will take time to repair each individual home.

They typically have a planned process to restore power to critical areas/services/businesses first  and work there way down that list before branching out to the single home on a dirt road way out in the boonies. So its entirely possible there could be a few folks that are without power for weeks before a truck and guys show up to fix the line at their home or neighborhood. They likely throw out that dire warning, worst case scenario, to prepare people for a couple of day outage so when the power is restored in 3-5 or so days it looks positive for Eversource/UI.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 7:25:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are not saying 70% of people wont have power for 2 weeks. They mean 70% of people could lose power, some people may not be restored for two weeks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I finally bought a generator

Mainly to keep the AC going for my wife. The heat & humidity has been awful with her MS.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 7:53:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Mainly to keep the AC going for my wife. The heat & humidity has been awful with her MS.
View Quote

Well now obviously your power is going to stay on
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

The way it's going right now, I think everyone's power is going to stay on.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The way it's going right now, I think everyone's power is going to stay on.
View Quote

Yeah it seems like it blew itself out a bit.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

You mean the media blew it up a bit
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They wanted to distract everyone from this

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is also accurate.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Media will always sensationalize when ever and what ever they can. Particularly if what they are sensationalizing can cause division, pain, misery and death. For them it's about drawing eyeballs (or clicks).

In this instance the model tracks for over a day indicated the storm coming ashore in the central CT area possibly as a Cat 1. So its newsworthy and the media goes into hype mode. Ends up the models shifted overnight and things changed as the storm came ashore as a meh tropical storm for most of the state. Right now there are outages (for Eversource) being reported all over the state. Some approx. 30,800 or about 2.4% of the total Eversource customer base are currently affected

https://outagemap.eversource.com/external/default.html

For UI only something like 16 outages have been reported as of now.

https://www.uinet.com/wps/portal/uinet/outages/reportviewoutage/viewoutagemap/
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That is also accurate.
View Quote

Given how many people waited until the last minute to prepare (as usual and evidenced by the ridiculously long lines yesterday), it’s probably better that they portray the potential outcomes on the worse side of things.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Media will always sensationalize when ever and what ever they can. Particularly if what they are sensationalizing can cause division, pain, misery and death. For them it's about drawing eyeballs (or clicks).

In this instance the model tracks for over a day indicated the storm coming ashore in the central CT area possibly as a Cat 1. So its newsworthy and the media goes into hype mode. Ends up the models shifted overnight and things changed as the storm came ashore as a meh tropical storm for most of the state. Right now there are outages (for Eversource) being reported all over the state. Some approx. 30,800 or about 2.4% of the total Eversource customer base are currently affected

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

28% for my town. My generator's been running for about 6 hours.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 6:44:48 AM EDT
[#18]
As of 6:37 a.m. this morning Eversource is reporting 7,736 affected customers in CT.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 7:20:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think your on to something!  

But seriously, this turned out pretty good for us in the Litchfield hills.   I aint complainin one bit.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 7:54:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As of 6:37 a.m. this morning Eversource is reporting 7,736 affected customers in CT.
View Quote

As usual, we were one of the first to lose power and will probably be one of the last to get it back.

Link Posted: 8/23/2021 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Sandbags were not needed after all, although I was expecting to get screwed with this much rain. Basement is dry which is shocking. Looks like the french drain I built last month definitely helped to drain some water from the ground.
Note to myself: Don't buy another house on the bottom of a hill that's surrounded with other houses. You will get all the run off from other yards.

Also, there is no welcome thread so just saying Hello from Litchfield county . I have been lurking for couple of years and finally decided to make an account
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sandbags were not needed after all, although I was expecting to get screwed with this much rain. Basement is dry which is shocking. Looks like the french drain I built last month definitely helped to drain some water from the ground.
Note to myself: Don't buy another house on the bottom of a hill that's surrounded with other houses. You will get all the run off from other yards.

Also, there is no welcome thread so just saying Hello from Litchfield county . I have been lurking for couple of years and finally decided to make an account
View Quote

Welcum two the family.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 3:42:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Welcome!   Also in Litchfield County!
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#24]
If you want a good deal on a generator wait a few days and there will be a bunch on Facebook from neckbeards who's rent is due.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Welcum two the family.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcum two the family.

As dysfunctional as it may be...yes...welcome
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks! I will fit in just fine
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Eversource reports 1,290 customers affected as of 8:17 a.m. today.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#28]
@gotpierogi
@psegnatelli

Southern Litchfield County checking in
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@gotpierogi
@psegnatelli

View Quote

Howdy neighbor!

Link Posted: 8/24/2021 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@gotpierogi
@psegnatelli

View Quote

Hello southern Litchfield county too
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Southern Litchfield County as well, since we are being more specific
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top