Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2021 11:55:31 AM EDT
Yesterday I was at the Gun Shop in Waterbury and they had a shockwave in 20 gauge I’ve been looking for so I quickly nabbed it up. My question is there any legalities to putting a Sba3 brace on it ? I’ve been hearing mixed responses in other threads.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I recommend submitting a Form 1 and turning it into a proper short barreled shotgun with an actual stock.

Federally, you should be ok because it will be over the 26" minimum length. Federal law defines an SBS as
"(6) The term “short-barreled shotgun” means a shotgun having one or more barrels less than eighteen inches in length and any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification or otherwise) if such a weapon as modified has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches."

The shockwave gets around this by being just over the 26" minimum. CT doesn't really have restrictions on pump shotguns so there's no reason not to Form1 it and use an actual shotgun stock. An SBA3 will not be comfortable to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#2]
in the AFT's proposed pistol brace rules, it addresses a braced Shockwave or Tac14.  If the rules go into effect, the AFT will see it as a SBS.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yesterday I was at the Gun Shop in Waterbury and they had a shockwave in 20 gauge I’ve been looking for so I quickly nabbed it up. My question is there any legalities to putting a Sba3 brace on it ? I’ve been hearing mixed responses in other threads.
View Quote

Possible issue but the beauty is you can buy it and form 1 one it online and have an sbs in approximately 25 days! Buy it, do it! Brace is soooooo ghey
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 7:47:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
in the AFT's proposed pistol brace rules, it addresses a braced Shockwave or Tac14.  If the rules go into effect, the AFT will see it as a SBS.
View Quote

Yep. Anyone wanting to put a brace on a pistol grip shotgun like the Mossberg Shockwave should keep an eye on the status of that proposed brace rule. The language from that proposed rule:

These criteria and worksheet do not apply to firearms with a smooth bore that use shotgun ammunition. These types of firearms, commonly referred to as “pistol grip shotguns,” were never designed to be fired from one hand (e.g., Mossberg Shockwave, Remington Tac-14). ATF has always classified these weapons as GCA “firearms,” not shotguns or pistols, as they do not incorporate a stock, like a shotgun, and are not designed to be fired from one hand, like a pistol. Thus, the addition of a “stabilizing brace” does not assist with single-handed firing, but rather redesigns the firearm to provide surface area for firing from the shoulder.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder if the AFT would require a state assault weapon cert for a pump SBS?
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 8:02:38 PM EDT
[#6]
They do not. *source - me. I've done it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 12:27:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder if the AFT would require a state assault weapon cert for a pump SBS?
View Quote

They may/will ask for a cert but pump sg’s are not aw’s! I quoted ct law and sent the law to them, it was approved the same day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top