Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2021 12:24:59 PM EDT
Permit renewal is in the mail.  
Expired yesterday.  I see there is a 180 day grace period.  

Does that include carry & purchasing?
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Expired yesterday.  I see there is a 180 day grace period.  

Does that include carry & purchasing?
View Quote

Carry, yes. Purchasing, supposedly no.

The grace period is normally 90 days per the statute. Not sure if the additional 90 days (to equal 180) due to Malloy's Covid EO's is still in effect. That extra 90 day extension may have been rescinded when they opened the state back up. The general view is that purchasing (guns, ammo, magazines) on an expired permit is a no go.

Edit to add: As a general rule one should renew as soon as they receive the notification letter to avoid any delay or processing issues. To many fall into the habit of waiting till the last minute before renewing then get screwed when they cannot purchase on an expired permit or Covid strikes or SLFU goes down for system maintenance, etc.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Carry, yes. Purchasing, supposedly no.

The general view is that purchasing (guns, ammo, magazines) on an expired permit is a no go.
View Quote

As my permit was getting close I asked in multiple gun stores. Everyone in every store said they will not sell to an expired permit. No exceptions.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
As my permit was getting close I asked in multiple gun stores. Everyone in every store said they will not sell to an expired permit. No exceptions.
View Quote

Yep, seem to be the general rule despite nothing in the statute(s) that appear to indicate that. All the statute states is the following; "A state permit to carry a pistol or revolver, issued pursuant to section 29-28, shall be valid for a period of ninety days after the expiration date, except this provision shall not apply to any state permit to carry a pistol or revolver which has been revoked or for which revocation is pending, pursuant to section 29-32."

Wonder if the no sale rule is an unwritten SLFU rule  that's been communicated to FFL's/gun shops? Its confusing since the statute states the permit is still valid for 90 days after expiration yet one cannot buy on it but can carry on it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 6:22:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ve been waiting for over a month.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't really need anything.  Just irritating.  Now we gotta pay for a pic, postage both ways and wait for how long.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Now we gotta pay for a pic
View Quote

Just take it yourself its what I did for my last renewal. Regular digital camera or a smartphone. Just used an app (used this one for Android last time) on my smartphone to crop the pic to the right size. There are online sites, including one by the State Department (this link) that will crop the picture to the appropriate size too. Just took my picture against a blank/empty painted solid color white wall. Then either print it yourself on photo paper on a color printer or at worst pay a few pennies ($0.35 cents if I remember right) to print out at CVS or similar places.

Otherwise one can get free photos taken at AAA (Premier level) if one is a member of either. Not sure if Costco still does passport photos.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Costco in Enfield got rid of the photo section, so no more photos there.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't really need anything.  Just irritating.  Now we gotta pay for a pic, postage both ways and wait for how long.
View Quote

What were you expecting? It's not like the CT Constitution recognizes bearing firearms as a right. You're paying for a privilege, broseph.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 5:20:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I paid an extra 15 bucks for photo and cert mail.   Mailed 22 Jun.  Received 12 Jul.  I even forgot the SASE.

I took me less time and gas versus driving to middletown and waiting in line.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/13/2021 5:36:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I paid an extra 15 bucks for photo and cert mail.   Mailed 22 Jun.  Received 12 Jul.  I even forgot the SASE.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well that's good to hear.  Hopefully I get mine back soon.  

I've never really waited all that long at the headquarters, even during the awb madness.  Plus I'm not that far from Middletown and $15 gets me a half tank.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 6:43:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Aaaaaannnnnddddddd...... USPS has lost it.

Link Posted: 7/25/2021 7:20:08 AM EDT
[#12]
That sucks . I’m still waiting on mine
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Are permit renewals included in the pause for processing while “systems are down”?
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh I'm sure they are.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That sucks . I’m still waiting on mine
View Quote

Im gonna give DPS a call and see if I can get another renewal form. Maybe they have a mail slot I can drop it off in.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone waiting have any updates?

I’m at a month, and the check hasn’t even been cashed yet....
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Same here.
View Quote

Shocking, I thought that the state would at least take the money.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Did mine early this year. Check was cashed same day I got permit back in mail.

ETA  It took couple months start to finish back then
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 5:09:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

Oh they'll take it!  Just whenever they get around to it!

When I did my inquiry of it being lost with USPS, I got a call from Middletown USPS.  She handles all the mail that goes to DPS.  Told me they're really backed up with permits.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

With the fuckup on the finger printing/gun transfer system supposedly they've halted or slowed down the permits (new/renew) as well so on top of the usual covid delays expect even more delays.

The real problem comes when one's 90 day grace period on expired permits runs out and they still haven't received their renewed permit even though one mailed in the renewal prior to their permit expiring. Not sure what happens then. Not sure if its' happened to anyone... yet.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Mine took 2 months. Got it back last week.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ok. Thats something I'll keep in mind.  Thank you
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

With the fuckup on the finger printing/gun transfer system supposedly they've halted or slowed down the permits (new/renew) as well so on top of the usual covid delays expect even more delays.

The real problem comes when one's 90 day grace period on expired permits runs out and they still haven't received their renewed permit even though one mailed in the renewal prior to their permit expiring. Not sure what happens then. Not sure if its' happened to anyone... yet.
View Quote

Fingerprinting seems to be going smooth now. I just recently had fingerprints done at Country Club Rd for my new teaching job  and the only real differences from the past were the pre-registration process and having to make an appointment for fingerprinting. At the time when I made my appointment, it was faster to get an appointment with the State Police/ SPBI  than the towns that I could potentially went to (about 1 week wait time compared to 2 or 3 weeks). The pre-registration (which is separate from the appointment system) system does require a printer (to print out the barcoded confirmation that you bring with you when you get fingerprinted) and a card to prepay for the background check fees, again which is separate from the fee to be fingerprinted.

[Right now, there is a lot of extra demand for fingerprinting appointments because this is the time when a lot of schools are doing lots of hiring to fill vacancies].

It was impressive to see how many people were down there to get new pistol permits.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for posting that info!
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 5:54:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Well...my check has been cashed!
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Sent mine 8/11, still nothing
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Got it today!!!  Huge weight off my mind

Mailed 7/10?
Processed 10/2
Check cashed 10/8
Mailed 10/12
Received 10/14
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Mailed 7/10?
Processed 10/2
Check cashed 10/8
Mailed 10/12
Received 10/14
View Quote

I was hearing it was up to 10 weeks. I guess it's 12 now
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 5:05:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mailed 7/10?
Processed 10/2
Check cashed 10/8
Mailed 10/12
Received 10/14

Well, in their defense. My Self addressed stamped envelope's sticky strip must have sealed itself.  They had to use Scotch Tape to seal my envelope. That may have added a few weeks to the mix.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Mailed the last week of July and I just got it last Friday...approx 14 weeks

My old permit was expired when I received my new one.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Mine was  90days expired when I got the new one
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Mailed mine on 9/8 and received permit back on 11/13.  

Interesting that they used my previous permit picture rather than the new picture they had me include with the renewal form.  Maybe it's too much work scanning in a new photo.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Do any of you guys know if I can print the renewal form?  I sent my renewal and my wife's renewal at the same time.  I got mine back in less than 2 weeks.  The check hasn't even been cashed from my wife's renewal.  I'd call, but that's useless.

Red
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:44:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Do any of you guys know if I can print the renewal form?  I sent my renewal and my wife's renewal at the same time.  I got mine back in less than 2 weeks.  The check hasn't even been cashed from my wife's renewal.  I'd call, but that's useless.

Red
View Quote

renewal form
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#36]
milecreekmustang,

Thank you!

Red
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Do any of you guys know if I can print the renewal form?
View Quote

Know the question has been answered but as a general FYI a number of various firearm related forms, including the permit renewal form, can be found at SLFU/DESPP website. Here are some direct links to pages containing various forms:

Firearms and Permit Related Forms and Information
State Pistol Permit
Firearms
Connecticut Firearms Dealers
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#38]
My Renewal was sent out 11/27 the check still hasn't cleared but I received my new permit today. So about 9 weeks for me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

My Renewal was sent out 11/27 the check still hasn't cleared but I received my new permit today. So about 9 weeks for me.
View Quote

That gives me hope that mine will be in the next week or two. I sent mine out the first week of December. My permit expired 1/18 so sooner would be better.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Permit in the mail today.
60 days from mailing, and check still hasn’t been cashed
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#41]
just got my renewel, took 2 months and 2 weeks
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#42]
When do they send you renewal info? How far in advance?
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Just received my renewal notice. Anybody know why it's still by mail only? The COVID thing has kinda blown over.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Just received my renewal notice. Anybody know why it's still by mail only? The COVID thing has kinda blown over.
View Quote

Because CT is a fucking Joke.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Sent my renewal in Feb 22
check cleared         April 6

Nothing.
Call to state and the robo announcement basically says "don't call"

Expires April 23 (tomorrow).

Ironic they put all sorts of conditions and paperwork on what should be a right then when a dummy like me tries to dot the I's and cross the T's the crew at the state doesn't give a crap about holding up their end
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Mailed mine yesterday. Two stops (passport photo and notary) versus one (Troop E) in person. Who, exactly, is the SFLU protecting from COVID?
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Mailed mine yesterday. Two stops (passport photo and notary) versus one (Troop E) in person. Who, exactly, is the SFLU protecting from COVID?
View Quote

Received my new permit today. 16 day turnaround.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Received my new permit today. 16 day turnaround.
View Quote

Good news finally.  Thanks for the update.  I have to renew mine later this year.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Sent renewal Feb 22

Check cleared April 6

Permit expired April 22

First week of May I was at a local gun dealer and he said I should have got it soon after check cleared
He called someone (transfers?) and whoever he spoke to asked to talk to me. They said it should have gone out soon after the check cleared
and that she would put another one in the mail next day.

I should have got her name

May 25 still nothing !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top