Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2021 2:03:22 PM EDT
My current go-to for HD is a Benelli M3 with a 20 inch barrel, and a factory extended tube (7+1+1).

Due to it's large size, and relatively high recoil, I was considering picking up an "other" to use in an HD role. Smaller, lighter package, with less recoil that a female could handle easier.

Due to the current "high capacity mag" ban, I am forced to use 10 round mags. One thought I had was an AR based "other", and use a larger caliber (like 450 bushmaster or 350 legend) and make those "10 shots" really count.

One other thought I had, was to use the "Matador Arms Mag X" magwell adapter, which allows me to use CZ 75 mags. I have a bunch of 18-round 9mm mags for my CZ SP-01, and would add a little more capacity to the fight.

I do really like the CZ Scorpion set-ups, but caliber swapping is not as easy as an AR platform, and also doesn't allow the use of my 18-round CZ mags.

I guess what I'm trying to really figure out, is if swapping to an Other is a good idea, and will gain me over my Benelli M3.

Feel free to post thoughts, but please keep it relevant.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't own any 30 round mags?
Being found w/ a Hi-cap mag isn't a big deal, especially if your life depends on it.

Yes, I'd rather a PCC w/ extended mags over anything w/ less rounds. I doubt caliber (aside from pipsqueak shit) is going to be what takes you out of the fight.

Personally, I'd rather use my G20 or G23 w/ 15 round mags than any long gun.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You don't own any 30 round mags?
View Quote

No, was never really into AR's or rifles for that matter. More into shotgun and pistol.

I do have an SP-01 in 9mm (hence the CZ mags), that's a nice shooting gun as well that I could use as an HD weapon.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Due to the current "high capacity mag" ban, I am forced to use 10 round mags.
View Quote

Do you not have any "declared" standard capacity magazines? The stupid magazine ban allows one to have declared standard capacity magazines loaded to capacity at home.
Edit: Never mind, saw later post.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you looked into a kalashnikov komrad?

Its an other shotgun comes with 5 round mags but takes 10rd saiga mags.

Very easy for an untrained significant other. Just face a direction and unload untill threat is over.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I would not trust my life with a gun built around a magwell adapter.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This right here
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 7:00:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This right here
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This right here

What would you guys propose then? Scorpion 9mm? AR Other? Or shotgun?

I have no problem with you disagreeing with my thoughts, but please offer an alternative.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 7:14:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have no problem with you disagreeing with my thoughts, but please offer an alternative.
View Quote

Something simple, 100% reliable, idiot proof, 100% reliable, with the ability to accept standard capacity magazines
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 7:52:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I choose a pistol because:
lightweight
ability to hold a good number of rounds, and remain lightweight
easily maneuverable
easily operated w/ a single hand
easy to switch and use from off-hand, in the event primary firing hand is not an option
compactness lends to a lot of simple storage solutions
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 8:14:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you want a PCC, get something that was designed that way from the get go.  Plenty of Glock pattern AR lowers (as they come from the factory) you could build up as an other, or do something like the Ruger PCC (although the barrel will be rifle length).  While the magwell adapters are fine for range use, they just aren't something that I would call 100% for self-defense usage.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

One alternative is to use a 18.5 barrel on your existing Benelli M3. May make it easier to use inside a home.

Or go with a pistol. Or AR Other. Or AR preban. Or pump shotgun. Or pistol grip pump shotgun. Plenty of HD options to choose from if money isn't an issue or if one isn't tying themselves to only using standard capacity CZ magazines. The major downside is being limited (exception being .22 cal tube magazines and lever action tube magazines) to 10 rounds if one doesn't have declared magazines (and wants to follow the stupid laws).

Quoted:

To be fair you did state in your initial post; "Feel free to post thoughts". So people did. You didn't ask for people to offer alternatives in your initial post. Some have offered alternatives, others didn't.

What ever you decide to do, if buying a new firearm, you may have problems finding one in stock depending on what you are looking at. Ammo scarcity/cost may also factor in if buying a new firearm for which you don't have ammunition for.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#12]
My home is small- a knife has its place!
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Punji Pits!
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Punji Pits!
View Quote

I see me getting hurt .... before it even begins
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

One alternative is to use a 18.5 barrel on your existing Benelli M3. May make it easier to use inside a home.

Or go with a pistol. Or AR Other. Or AR preban. Or pump shotgun. Or pistol grip pump shotgun. Plenty of HD options to choose from if money isn't an issue or if one isn't tying themselves to only using standard capacity CZ magazines. The major downside is being limited (exception being .22 cal tube magazines and lever action tube magazines) to 10 rounds if one doesn't have declared magazines (and wants to follow the stupid laws).

To be fair you did state in your initial post; "Feel free to post thoughts". So people did. You didn't ask for people to offer alternatives in your initial post. Some have offered alternatives, others didn't.

What ever you decide to do, if buying a new firearm, you may have problems finding one in stock depending on what you are looking at. Ammo scarcity/cost may also factor in if buying a new firearm for which you don't have ammunition for.
View Quote

Which law is specific about the .22 caliber tube magazines and lever action tube magazines?  I moved to CT after the magazine restrictions went into affect, so I only own stuff that holds 10 rounds or even less in my shotgun.  I find conflicting information when I try to find the actual laws.  If you wouldn't mind helping me find the right law to read I'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Which law is specific about the .22 caliber tube magazines and lever action tube magazines?  I moved to CT after the magazine restrictions went into affect, so I only own stuff that holds 10 rounds or even less in my shotgun.  I find conflicting information when I try to find the actual laws.  If you wouldn't mind helping me find the right law to read I'd appreciate it.
View Quote

Top of the CT hometown page the FAQ page is tacked.  It references the laws.

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

See CGS 53-202W(a)(1) with particular notice to (B) and (C)

(a) As used in this section and section 53-202x :

(1) “Large capacity magazine” means any firearm magazine, belt, drum, feed strip or similar device that has the capacity of, or can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition, but does not include: ?(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than ten rounds of ammunition, (B) a .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device, (C) a tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm, or (D) a magazine that is permanently inoperable;
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sec. 53-202w. Large capacity magazines. Definitions. Sale, transfer or possession prohibited. Exceptions.

(1) “Large capacity magazine” means any firearm magazine, belt, drum, feed strip or similar device that has the capacity of, or can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition, but does not include: (A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than ten rounds of ammunition, (B) a .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device, (C) a tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm, or (D) a magazine that is permanently inoperable;

Edit to add: A number of CT's firearm and related statutes along with various other information can be found at this link: https://www.jud.ct.gov/LawLib/Law/firearms.htm

While the link doesn't contain every single CT statute related to firearms, it's enough to get one started in the right direction if they want to begin reading the actual statutes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 5:11:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I keep it simple. 20ga 870. I use this shotgun all year hunting. I have used it in the yard to dispatch animals.
Mainly daywalkin coons & skunks.

I'm honestly thinking about selling all my ARs & stuff.  I just don't use them anymore.  I don't think they've even been to the range in 6years.

Quoted:
View Quote

I once chased a bear with a pool noodle.  
Shotgun in one hand. Noodle in the other. Wearing nothing but briefs, socks & crocs.  Chased it thru 3 yards, whippin the noodle over my head like Indiana Jones and screaming like Yoko Ono.  Everytime I got close enough I'd smack it on the ass.

I have 20ga shells with rubber balls now.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I keep it simple. 20ga 870. I use this shotgun all year hunting. I have used it in the yard to dispatch animals.

I'm honestly thinking about selling all my ARs & stuff.  I just don't use them anymore.  I don't think they've even been to the range in 6years.

Shotgun in one hand. Noodle in the other. Wearing nothing but briefs, socks & crocs.  Chased it thru 3 yards, whippin the noodle over my head like Indiana Jones and screaming like Yoko Ono.  Everytime I got close enough I'd smack it on the ass.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If only there was footage
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thankfully Ring cameras weren't out then. It would have rivaled the Patterson film.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Top of the CT hometown page the FAQ page is tacked.  It references the laws.

View Quote

I've seen that, but I still wasn't sure if that was it.

Thank you to JAD and sbhaven for posting the text of the law for me to read.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#23]
10 rounds of 300blk through a 12.5" would be quite effective.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup that’s my set up
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:10:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you pin/weld the muzzle device, you can go down to the 10.3-10.5" range (before the muzzle device is installed)...long as you end up longer than 12".  300 Blackout runs great out of short barrels.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Choose your HD item wisely.  If you have to ever use it, you don't want stray rounds knocking over your neighbors vases or killing their cat.  Even if you're in the right, those things can compound the aftermath.  Just my .02.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Choose your HD item wisely.  If you have to ever use it, you don't want stray rounds knocking over your neighbors vases or killing their cat.  Even if you're in the right, those things can compound the aftermath.  Just my .02.
View Quote
soooooo.....birdshot? Blanks?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 3:22:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Stern voice-
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rack the pump shotgun.

Or just use harsh language.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:02:54 PM EDT
[#30]
In the movies they always rack the gun. Movies heroes never have a round in the chamber so you need to remember that. Also fire a warning shot first and shoot for the leg.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#31]
OP I would build an other in your scenario.

I agree with the non-adapter sentiment. It also looks like a nightmare to reload with any speed/consistency in broad daylight wide awake under no duress.

If you have no 30 rounders throw on a redi-mag and (2) ten rounders that are the length of thirty rounders. At least youll have 21 rounds with you at a minimum.

My HD is my carry gun while Im awake.

A fullsize M&P 9mm/night sights/ light at the bedside; because I have a kid and its easier to keep locked up and rapidly access.

When things start getting spicy like at the beginning of covid I bring up a suppressed .300BLK AR Pistol with a light, prismatic 1x sight and redimag. 61 suppressed subsonics and a fur missile early warning system/ wingman.

Its a heavy bastard but Im in shape and Im not lugging it across Europe.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Good luck getting more than two people to post a relevant response.
I think a 12ga would be more effective than a pistol cal at ECQ distances.
If you insist on making an other for HD, go with 300blk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top